Hi I am new to Alopecia World and have lots of questions. My 15 yr old daughter Mikayla was diagnosed March 2010  It started with a huge patch found by our hair dresser which then progressed to more patches... using a lotion started to help regrowth...then 3-4 months ago it started again so suddenly, now she has only a then layer on top half of her head, and she is loosing  her eyebrows :(

It is very difficult for her to accept, and I am struggling to watch her go thru this knowing there is little I can do. I have shared with her and we are gratefully it is only her hair...and not cancer!!

But still -it is hard, and it is hard watching her knowing it has shattered her confidence and self esteem. Yes she is in councilling ... she is wanting a wig and we are trying to find out how to go thru this process...any advice would be great. We Live in Auckland, New Zealand. Any other parents living there I would love to have contact with you...as well as anyone else. I have also found apart from our awesome GP there is no help from organisations for her... well sorry not quite true... Canteen is going to meet with us - :)  But the other medical groups have turned us down saying she is too old, no funding, or just don't fit there criteria... we are in limbo due to her age.

Thanks for listening and look forward to making new friends on this site.

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks will do.
See Mary's blog on the New York Times article.
Thanks
Hi Amanda, my eldest son is 5 and has alopecia, and I live in Auckland if you ever want to chat. He started losing his hair about a year ago, he has no hair on his head, eyelashes or eyebrows. I accept it, but it is still hard.
Hi Susannah M ,
Would love to chat...is there anyway we can send messages privately on here? Are you on Face book? Thanks
Amanda
To chat privately, add someone as a friend. Once the person accepts the invitation, go to "send a message" on the left under the person's photo or logo. This takes you to the place to write messages. Be sure, after writing the message, to scroll down and click on "send." Then wait for the person to get online, read and reply. That is more private than chat, and you can type more. Some people are wordy, and need TWO messages to say everything. That's when the fun starts!
Thanks so much for helping me find my way round here. Bless You
I am so sorry that this is happening to your daughter. My daughter had her first episode with AA at 15 and it grew back. She then became AU her senior year in highschool. I thought the world had ended! It didn't. She is now off at college making friends, dating and quite happy. She wears all lace wigs and tapes them on with super tape. I think Celebrity Wigs may give you a wig because they donate to children every year. Message me and I will give you the sites that I like best. My daughter currently has 5 wigs that she can wear. We had her eyebrows tattoo'd which really helped and she wears false eyelashes. By the way her hair is growing back at this point but she says she knows she can be ok either way. We live in the US but the problem is the same everywhere. That is why we are here.
Wow thank you Karen, it is kinda alot of info to take in all at once. I have been kinda emotional for some days now. My daughter is not accepting it and doesn't really want to know...it is hard to tell. How does one message you? Thanks AManda
I will request to be your friend and I think that is how we can message.
well i have no hair no eyebrows so its alittle worse for me. and you should be very thankful that its only the hair. and though this probablly wont help, she will be a stronger better person in the end. In the long run having alopecia will be a good experience to grow and learn from even though we all know right now it sucks. and welcome to alopecia world!
Thanks Paul appreciate your words and the link! I know there is a site called freedom wigs here in NZ that the government gives $1200 to, is it the same? Thanks again AManda

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service