My relationship with men always seemed to suffer because of my alopecia. Maybe its just the men I ended up with but it seems to me men love a womans natural hair. They love to smell it and play in it, no matter the length. Wigs and hair pieces have ultimately turned them off. When my ex of many years and I broke up he found someone with a headful of beautiful hair. If I could find a head covering that would fool them it would be great. Is there such a thing? Hmm.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok wow sorry kinda went off there. i dont like people who judge or bully or talk down to others. its a button with me for sure
I am so sorry that you have had such negative experiences with alopecia affecting your romantic relationships. I myself wear a wig everywhere except for the privacy of my home. There is nothing wrong with that, and there is nothing wrong with going bald all of the time either. It is entirely up to what YOU feel comfortable with.
I am always upfront about my alopecia when I start dating someone new, and I have never had a relationship end because the guy was tired of my fake hair and/or baldness. Yes, there are men out there who are put off by it, but I personally do not want to be with a guy who places such importance on appearance anyway. What a lot to live up to, whether you have hair or not! I know of many people who aren't physically acceptable in the eyes of society yet they have found TRUE love (and have been together for 20+ years)
I do understand your discouragement though, but if you be yourself and project positivity and self-love then you will attract the right friends, boyfriends and eventually Mr. Right. Hang in there.
I agree 100%
Well said Andrea!

There are alot of generalizations being made and the fact is that you have to deal with a person on an individual basis. You can't apply these blankets statements to all men. Do a lot of men like hair? Sure they do. Does that mean that a woman who has no hair is doomed to be alone? Certainly not!

Is it hard to date having alopecia? Of course. But like others have said it all begins with attitude and self acceptance. If you don't first love and accept yourself than no one else will either.

I have had my own problems with dating. My method is to reject them before they can reject me. But I'm working on learning to love myself and I believe once I deal with my issues, the rest will fall into place.

There will be men who can't handle alopecia but there are others who can and will. No one said it would be easy but if you keep a hopeful, positive attitude, you may just find him!
again wisdom from more people well said
Thats a nice answer Bobby. Looking at it from a different perspective it sounds very positive. Thank you.
Hi Ava

You sound like you have a lovely relationship going with this guy. Good on you and good on him. Perfect - just perfect.

Rosy
That is beautiful Ava. I know guys like that exist, but they are hard to find (at least for me)
I'm involved with a guy who has known me since I was 8 and he saw as my hair started to fall out. He's only seen me with a bandana once and the rest of the time, he's seen me with wigs.

I've noticed he does not touch my me anywhere near my head. we recently had a discussion about my hair. We haven't really before. He said he didn't want to make me uncomfortable.

I see how he used to be with me.. playing with my hair and I loved running my hands through my own hair.. I know he's scared about knocking off my wig during sex.

Human hair would be my guess since it's human hair they would be touching and maybe using a glue or something to make it stick on.
There's more to a woman than hair, and although men like hair, they also like someone confident, someone they can have a great relationship with. Luckily for me, my hair loss started 3 years after marriage, and yes I struggled with thoughts that I was less of a woman, I had to get over it, meaning, over my insecurities about my loss (not easy, but can be done) it takes time. You want someone who loves you for YOU, not your hair. If a guy is looking for a "trophy piece" on his arm, then move on, you're looking for someone sincere, someone of substance, not someone vain. And don't judge all men the same. There are some good ones out there. Best of luck on dating!
That's horrible (the men in the story, not JoDeanna) and completely "the opposite" of what Id do if I ever date someone with alopecia.
When I was dating without hair, I loved wearing wigs and being bald. So, I had a facebook page with profile pictures that I would switch from me bald to me with wigs. I didn't mention anything about Alopecia on my profile, but when I emailed men or received emails from men they would usually bring it up. And, if not, I would. This made me a lot more confident when I met them in person, because they would already know.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service