Hi Everyone.
Has anyone tried Methotrexate for AU? I have been on DPCP for almost a year and had no real success. This is something new with an apparent 50-50 chance for AU.

Views: 8764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Vanessa thank you for the info I was able to find the study and read up on it very interesting I will have lots of follow up questions for the docs. Will keep you posted
I've just come off prednisone after 2 yrs for another auto immune condition with no hair regrowth...interestingly one of the side effects for pred is hair loss...

Hi...my dermatologist has me on methotrexate only. The study did state that it is successful with or without prednisone. She feels very strongly about not prescribing me prednisone as she has seen some pretty bad side effects from it. I have been on methotrexate since May 2011 and I am just starting to see progress. If you have more questions about it, let me know. OH...make sure you go for monthly blood tests to check your liver enzymes.

Hi Derek, Thanks so much for replying to this forum! There are a few of us who just started this medication not more than a few weeks ago it seems. You have been on it since May 2011, that is a LONG time! But interesting to see that you are seeing results about 9-months later? What is your progress? I guess you haven't had any alcohol since May 2011 ;) ? I will be sure to follow-up with blood tests monthly too.

I started my first dose of Methotrexate tonight 2.5 MG (6 TABLETS) once a week. I am not taking it though because of AU, I was actually just put on it by my GI doctor in Boston because of Crohns/UC. I can not take other medications like Remicade Infusions anymore because of brain lesions it gave me. They believe the medications and IBD that started in 2007 is what triggered the AU in Feb-May 2011. One of the side effects is hair loss so I am confused to why this is being used as a treatment for you all? He had not heard of AU patients using this.

Hi Kim I was also on remicade infusions for several years for my RA however my doctors deny my AU was caused by remicade! Very frustrating you are the first person I know to attribute your AU to remicade I will be telling my docs about this for sure. Sorry to hear about all your health issues I hope the methotrexate works. There are several studies were methotrexate has worked for hair but not many and it seems for most when the meds stop hair may or may not stay. Could be your doc was not a drem but a GI doc so maybe that's why. I'm not sure I know what IBD is? Are your brain lesions going to heal? That sounds so scarey. I also can't completely answer your question about exactly how methotrexate works on the hair over my uneducated head but what I gather is that it has to do with suppressing the immune system so it lowers the inflammation around the hair something like that I'm also taking it for my RA. Thank you for replying to this post I really appreciate the info wish you all the best with your treatment.

Hi Dana I actually filed a food and drug safety report on the drug remicade and the negative results I got as a result of taking it. My doctor is a GI who gave me the methotrexate but it is for IBD which is Irritable Bowel disease: Crohns/Ulcerative colitis which I developed out of no where in 2007 after moving to CT. I pray that maybe my eye lashes and eyebrows would at least grow back. I also just started an eyebrow cream today called Calosol: Eyebrow Recovery ointment for Alopecia - UK,
(calosol.com) or for list of the ingredients www.calosol.com/ingredients.php) have u heard of it?

Hi Kim I have not heard of this ointment but I appreciate you telling me about it and hope you will keep me posted on if any results. Good luck friend I too wish at least I could have eyelashes and eyebrows too ugh....so frustrating. I also have IBS not IBD a much less severe form thank you for clearing that up its interesting that all theses diseases are inflammation related eh? I think the answer lies in that and something triggers it. Take care keep me posted :)
Hi all.....short update went for my blood tests today will report on any findings. Also having a little trouble with side effects from prednisone but nothing I haven't experienced before so doing okay. I have noticed peach fuzz on my rt eyelid and 4 tiny black dots looks like real eyelashes but nothing on the lft eye and no changes anywhere else.

Methotrexate is used for a few things - one of which is cancer. In the US they recently reported that this drug was in short supply due to some mfg difficulities. I also think but am not sure it can be used for arthritis if it is really bad. I consider it for myself for hair regrowth but I have many medical conditions and take a ton of RX drugs so I did not want to add yet another with possilbe side effects.

Monthly update; blood tests fine will continue on methotrexate no further significant growth more eyelash growth but only on one eye that's it.
This disscusion has had allot of views and some have expressed concern about these drugs and I want to make it perfectly clear I'm sharing my experience for those considering this treatment but make no mistake these are powerful drugs with scary side effects. I made this decision carefully with my doctors and family I was well informed of the risks. Anybody considering methotrexate should do the same.

what are some of the side effects that they told you about. I am currently on this drug for my Crohns/UC (they have not given me an exact diagnosis yet) and I got AU between Feb and May of 2011. How long was it before you saw growth on your eyelashes? I get bloodtests every two weeks is that the same for you? I take 6 tabs every Friday evening.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service