Hi Everyone.
Has anyone tried Methotrexate for AU? I have been on DPCP for almost a year and had no real success. This is something new with an apparent 50-50 chance for AU.

Views: 8764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kim I suggest you google methotrexate it will list all the side effects of this drug and any other information you would like to know about this drug. We discussed serious side effects and common side effects that I have experienced like flu like symptoms headache and fatigue usually lasting 48 hours and the importance of taking folic acid as this drug depletes it from your body(please discuss this with your own physician as this is different for everybody) I am taking 20 mg (8 tabs) every week and my blood is tested once a month. My eyelashes started about 3 weeks into treatment BUT I am also on prednisone so that could account for the growth? Not sure yet. I am also on this treatment to treat RA. I hope you get a solid diagnosis soon. Good luck Kim make sure you discuss your meds with your doctors sounds like you didn't get info on this drug.

I know about the liver issues and some of the side effects I wondered if there were additional ones you were experiencing due to the AU. I will be working my way up to 8 tabs. I have to go every 2 weeks for blood work for now, I have had bad reactions in the past from other meds so they are monitoring me closely I guess =/ I grew back some hair with the prednisone but once off it all fell out immediately and I don't like the other side effects of it, especially a big swollen face =( Thanks for the info I hoep things work out for you.

Jeez Kim you've sure had a tough go. My hair fell out while I was on remicade to treat the RA and it was working but my white blood cell count went wonky and then my anemia worsened so I came off the remicade and once things stabilized although still have low iron this combo was brought up and I felt it might work for both autoimmune diseases and I had been on both a few years ago so far it is working for the RA my inflamation according to my blood work has improved. I don't like the prednisone either but it's being tapered down and I will be off it in one month. I hope the eyelash growth is not just the prednisone but I won't know that I guess for a few months. Time will tell as they say. I hope things work out for you too! I asked my doctors if they filed a report regarding the hair and remicade and they said they reported it to health Canada and the manufacturer. I think that's equivalent to FDA in the states. Take care

how long ago did your hair fall out from the Remicade? May 2012 will make one year for me =(

Hi Everyone,
One thing I have been noticing a lot is how tired I am after I take the medication. I take 20 mg every Wednesday so my Thursdays I am a walking zombie. I feel horrible. I also have reflux (heartburn) too when I take it... It is very unpleasant but the tiredness is very extreme. I will be going for my blood tests next week, but am sure everything is OK.
Anyone else experiencing the reflux? This is suppressing my appetite a lot I am noticing too.

I am 1-month on the treatment and no prednisone. I have mini-white fuzzies all on my head and I have a few (like 4) white eyelashes on both sides. I have to use my 10x mirror to see any of this... but who cares!!! It's exciting, yet scary! So far nothing is really turning black (natural hair color).

HI Dana,
So exciting to hear. What did she/he say about taking you off prednisone?

Hi Tam decided to tough it out half way done anyway! Yes, I aso have reflux I thought that was the prednisone my doctors increased the folic acid to 5 mg a day that's supposed to help we'll see! Sounds like we both have white fuzzies and eyelash growth interesting eh! My first few lashes were black but now the newer ones are white ones wierd. White fuzzies on the head slowed down through talk soon hey how was your skin in the sun any reactions?
methotrexate crew, checking in. Went to the derm today. Full bloods taken (hope everything is in order) and a test dose of 2.5mg to be taken tomorrow. Do people take it first thing in the morning or before bed? :-)
I take mine after breakfast on Saturday so if I feel crappy I can rest on Sunday...usually fluish feeling headache fatigue that sort of thing for 24 to 48 hours that's just me though everyone is different.
I may have to do the same lol. I took my first dose of 2.5mg and didn't really feel any different. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing... Out of interest, what dose are you currently taking? :)
Hi Nick I'm on 20 mg weekly taken in one dose 8 tabs

I am on dose 4 this Friday at 6 pills each 2.5 mg, mine is for Crohns/UC but hoping it helps the AU ....how long did it take see a difference?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service