My scalp has stopped burning and my nails are a little better. Is that an indication of hair to come?

My scalp and various parts of my body would often start to burn when I lost hair. Now, that's suddenly stopped, and I'm hoping that it is an indicator of maybe some new growth to come. Did anyone else experience this? Also, my nails look a little bit better. Fingers crossed.

Views: 2082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heather - I am glad that the burning stopped. It is true most of the people I shared this problem with have never heard of such a thing. This forum gives us the opportunity to share experiences and help one another. If anyone can figure out the cause and cure they would make a fortune. But hair is priceless. For the most part the burning stopped for me too, but on occasion I have felt it.
I think it's also due to hormone fluctuations and how women's bodies react to this. That is why some women say they had no menopausal symptoms and others were horrible. More research needs to be done to help solve this complex problem.
Carol- I most definitely think it responds to hormonal fluctuations. Not to get too personal, but after I had a miscarriage the burning became almost unbearable(but I had the burning for about 10 years) I prayed everyday that it would just go away. I was on the edge of insanity, and wondered if I could live with it for the rest of my life. What made it even more frustrating was trying to explain it to other people, and quite often got the "suck it up" comment....hmmm...yeah. I agree more research needs to be done, but I think it just gets chalked up to stress or psychiatric problems. Many doctors think it's in our heads. I had only one doctor who knew what I was talking about.
Yes, Heather. I remember when I first experienced this unbearable burning was when I tried progesterone cream and had to come off it a week before my period. When I stopped using it is when the burning happened. It was horrible. Those creams are not regulated and have additives. The transit time is unknown. Then I went on natural micronized progesterone and had some relief but got pregnant which saved me for a while. Pregnancy balances all the hormones. After that I went through the normal post-pregnancy shedding process for the third time and after a year my hair came back. It was only recently when my cycles changed (I am 49) that this "syndrome" started again. But as I mentioned Finasteride has helped me. If a woman has high DHT in her blood it will block the conversion. Also there is a Dr. recommended to me by a professor who uses Finasteride because she experienced hair loss after she came off HRT. His name is Dr. Michael Reed. He is in Manhattan but has a website. If you check out the list of things he treats guess what..one of the conditions listed is "burning scalp syndrome". He is the first doctor who I have ever seen list this as a condition. I did not go see him because he is $600.00 for a consult! I went to my endocrinologist who prescribed it for me. Derms usually don't give it to women because of the side effect of birth defects in male fetuses. I am too old for any more children so it's not an issue for me. But topical solutions including finasteride are safer and they do work. I really think it is an autoimmune problem. I had a marker for lupus come up positive so that must be the reason for some of these symptoms. I was not told I had lupus..and hopefully will not be told that news. Two blood tests are still pending. Will try to keep you posted. Thanks for writing, and you are in my prayers.
Wow, that's very interesting that this doctors treats burning scalp. I would even consider going to this guy because I live in twenty minutes from Manhattan, but I am not in a position to fork over $600...yeeesh! Even though I know my hair loss is autoimmune, I strongly believe it was triggered by hormones. But I am sort of a purest, and I don't want to start messing with my hormones or with other things....don't get me wrong though, I'm not judging. Maybe somewhere down the line I may try something, but for now the burning has subsided, so I'm just going to roll with it. I'm sorry that you may have lupus, I wish you all the best and will say a prayer for you, too. Yes, please stay in touch.
Thank so much Heather. The reumatologist said that she is not convinced that I have it and neither is my GP but I have to finish the diagnostic tests. And I just read in PUBMED, which I recommend for doing research, that if the onset occurs later in life, say 50, the symptoms are usually not as serious. I am 49 so hopefully I can by God's grace control the symptoms. But you and I and others don't need hair loss or a burning scalp syndrome. The research did state that hormones are a factor in lupus, and that estrogen replacement after menopause can trigger it. Beware ladies! Natural progesterone has been helpful and since I am not in total menopause yet it's one way to keep things stable until that "day" occurs.
But one day at a time is good advice! We were given today and should try to enjoy it, hair or no hair! Isn't that a song, "No Hair, no Hair.. Oh..it's really No air, No air.. I changed the lyrics.."How can we all live with no hair..and soon I will really not care.. No hair, no hair" .. OMG, open the window! I need some air! Or should I say.. hair! LOL..
I think you right Heather I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer for you-to get your hair back
Amen..
Thank you- likewise.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service