You've heard of the "Great American Smoke Out" - the day when everyone is encouraged to stop smoking for just one day?

What if, for ONE day, all the bald women in this country (or whatever country you live in) came out in public with nothing on their heads? Imagine the effect! People wouldn't be able to assume that every bald woman they see has cancer. Bald women would become non-remarkable very quickly, just as bald men have. Women like me and other members of AW, who already go out in public bald, would instantly stop feeling so alone.

I'm thinking of making a YouTube video and setting a date for sometime during the summer (when it's warm everywhere). If I picked a date - say a Saturday in July - and put up a YouTube video now urging all bald women to join in on a National Bald Out THAT day, would any of you who don't currently go out in public bald do it for that one day?

Maybe we could get a news service "flash" out there and get TV and print media to pick up on the story! Anyone know how to do that?

I don't know what category to put this in...it's about society, and acceptance, and news, and promoting awareness...so, I'll just put it in Bald is Beautiful, and hope you all see it.

Please share this with other friends on AW and respond - YES OR NO...would you join in?

April 29
HERE WE GO! I just put the video on YouTube. You can find it under the title "Announcing the National Bald Out!", or at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXxBKwi-1lw

I hope you all like it! Thank you to everyone for their comments and suggestions as to the content, and special thanks to the lovely ladies who allowed me to use their photos at the end of the video. I think that adds a lot.

On the Bald Girls Do Lunch site, www.baldgirlsdolunch.org, there are some absolutely amazing T-shirts, buttons, banners...and loads of other fun items with two different National Bald Out logo designs, as well as a great one that says "Bald? So What!" I LOVE IT! Thanks so much, Thea! To view the items, click on "Logo Products", then click on "Bald Out July 19". Remember - 100% of proceeds fund the BGDL nonprofit's national outreach to women with alopecia areata, so your purchase of a National Bald Out T-shirt (or other item) will directly benefit women with alopecia.

The next step is for everyone to join the newly-created Alopecia World group "National Bald Out". Until we get the Group up on the Home Page, you can go to this link to join:

www.alopeciaworld.net/group/nationalbaldout

A big Thank You to rj for all his help!

I'll be posting more soon on the National Bald Out group.

► Reply to This

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi again,

I just realized that I am able to save anyone's photos directly from AW, so there's no need for anyone to email me any photos for the video. But, I do still want to hear from anyone who wants me to put their photo in, just so I know you have approved it.

Thanks!

Mary
Hi Mary,

Of course you can use any photo's of me that you need. As well as I would encourage men to do the same, if they are currently wearing wigs or hats. I know many women may also fear doing this alone, perhaps they can meet up with some others on that particular day and show their support that way. Sorry for the delay in responding, we have been quit busy lately. Love you all, Cheryl
Hi Mary,
Yep! I'm up for it. Feel free to use my photo. I hope that by then I might have put a better photo on as I realised that I hadn't put on my eye brows, liner or shadow on - or any jewrelly come to that. Funny how you forget things when you're just pottering around the home isn't it.
Margaret
Thank you to all who have responded. When I have the video ready to put on YouTube, I'll put out a final call for photos or permission to use photos from anyone who wants to be in the slide show at the end of it.

Mary
Hi Margaret,

If you have a different photo you'd like me to include in the YouTube video, please let me know. Your existing photo is nice, but the lighting isn't too good. I hope to have the video up on YouTube this week. I can give you my email address if you want to email me one, or you can post it on AW.

Thanks!
Mary
I'm in, keep me up to date. I can get local media coverage if nothing else and I can spread the word to my support group and online alopecian buddies.
Great! Things are moving along. More updates soon.

Can I use a photo of you at the end of the video?

Mary
You certainly may! Look forward to seeing the vid.!
Hi everyone,

I just saw Carol Solis' post on the Sisterhood of Women Who Shaved group that she went to the taping of the Ellen show yesterday and sat in the audience bald. It's going to be on the air today...look for her.

This gives me a great idea for publicizing the National Bald Out.

1. Maybe we could get Ellen interested in a brief interview segment to promote the event.

OR,if that doesn't work:

2.We could try just going to a taping sometime before July 19 in as large a group of bald women as we could gather in the LA area. I know several women there from the Shear Genius show. There are some AW members there , I think. I bet if 5 or 8 bald women showed up together, we might get the producers' attention and maybe a moment of on-air time with Ellen to mention the event! We could wear our National Bald Out T-shirts! How could they ignore us!?

Mary
There's a "Bald Out" t-shirt?

Going on Ellen sounds like a great idea!
Yes, there will soon be National Bald Out T-shirts available through the Bald Girls Do Lunch website (www.baldgirlsdolunch.org) Thea is working on the designs now. An announcement will be posted here!

Whether you're a bald woman, a partially bald woman, an alopecian who wears a wig, or related to someone with alopecia, wearing one of these shirts on July 19 will increase public awareness.

Stay tuned,
Mary
( ;-)
Mary,
Count me in as well. I go bald every day...and absolutely love it. I am an ambassador of bald women. It is so incredibly freeing and easy. No more chicken-butt morning hair. Being bald is an opportunity to educate and inspire. There are millions of us. Got that ladies??? Millions of us. It is time to stop feeling alone and 'less than' in our baldness. It is time to connect and support and encourage each other to be as we are.

I know that it is difficult in this youth and beauty addicted society. And I know that baldness in women has a long history of associated fear and shame. But that can only last as long as we continue to give it power by our acquiescence.

What if we all really truly come to believe that bald is just as beautiful as hair? Attitude makes such a difference. So many are just looking for some support to find the courage to shave their heads. Those of us who have found that courage and revelled in the freedom it affords have an opportunity to be beacons of hope and strength for those who are struggling and feeling fearfully alone. Let's let our heads reflect pride and freedom in all their shining glory for our sisters (and brothers) who need a dose of high voltage energy and strength!

Even those folks not ready to remove their head coverings can help promote awareness by wearing a t-shirt on July 19th.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service