Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with alopecia areata. Both my doctor and many of the sites I read on-line seem to suggest that it's not unusual to get a patch, to have your hair grow back, and then to be done with it, but I feel like everything I read on this site suggests otherwise. It seems like everyone starts with a small patch and eventually lose massive amounts of hair. It's been two weeks since I've seen my doctor, and already I think a new patch is developing. I am obsessing about this now, and what I would really like to know is that this is a phase and I will get to a place where I can think of other things, and remember this is hair loss, and is not life threatening. Can anyone talk about how they go through their days now and spend little time thinking about their hair? Right now I don't even like to shower, comb my hair or anything, because it's a constant reminder of the hair I am losing. It doesn't seem healthy to be obsessing this way, and reading the stories on this site haven't helped me--

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello there, when I was 14 it was the 1st time my hair had fallen out, it took alittle while (maybe about 18 months) for it to grow back, the best thing to is not to worry about it, and tell the doctor you want steroid injections, nothing works better then those (I found anyway) good luck and I hope you get your hair bk :) xx

And have lost any hair since?

Yes it came bk 7 years later and gotten worse, theres always tht chance of course bt honestly I never worried about tht when my hair grew bk, ws grateful I had it bk :) xx

It sounds like you can get used to unpredictability even. Thanks very much.

Hi,

Thanks so much. Because I am recently diagnosed I have no way of knowing which way it'll go for me, so it's reassuring to know that it'll get better either way. Rationally, I know that must be the case, but it's hard to be rational right now. I facilitate between thinking "it's just hair!" To despairing about it.

Because it's all consuming to me right now, I look forward to a time when it'll be more like a nuisance. I'm lucky that I'm older I suppose, as this is happening--I think that's why my reaction to it is surprising- I would have thought I'd be stronger emotionally about it- I've never paid much attention to my hair, just yanking it back when it got in my face- now I have to yank it back in such a way as to cover the bald spot, and that's getting harder as it gets bigger--

Welcome! I have AGA so mine is different however I still know how difficult it is to experience. I felt the same way as you a few years ago. I shave my head now, and I will tell you that I don't think about my hair anymore. It gives me a sense of liberation, and I don't have to see my hair fall out anymore. Of course, it probably isn't time for you to do that, but it has helped me cope. You might look into wigs. I love them, and I am a wigaholic. They helped to restore my confidence, and they can be a lot of fun. There are many options available. Just know that when you are ready, there are options for you. Take baby steps, and you can find your own way to cope. Also, try to remember that you are not alone, and you will get through this. Hugs!!

Thanks so much-- you look wonderful, by the way-- it's good to hear that you don't think about it anymore- I have to think I'll get to that point. It's a bit of a rollercoaster for me, going from despair to thinking why am I worried about this when I am perfectly healthy otherwise, and as you say, I can wear wigs, etc. And I go through this several times a day! I may be asking for wig advice soon-

You're welcome. Aww, thank you!! Yes, you can get to that point too. Feel free to ask for wig advice at any time! A lot of women on here wear wigs, and there is also a wig forum for those who wear wigs. For the future... this is my blog, and I have a page with wig information...
http://lifeasabaldgirl.wordpress.com/wigs-101-guide/

Thanks, I went on your wig page- lots of information!

Liz it is so different for everyone, for me I lost all my hair in about 2 weeks when I was 12 - there was no "patch warning" that any of us spotted, and I only ever had baby-down grow back, that was 26 years ago now, and this is me, and when anyone questions how I cope - I say "I have two eyes that can see, two ears that can hear, all my arms and legs work so I think I am very lucky"

For my daughter who is 9 she had a patch (at the begining of this year), then it all fell out, now it is growing back with patchs missing (real hair too, not baby-down like mine), I would say she has 80% growth and 20% missing.... the Royal childrens hospital here in Melbourne have started her on DCP treatment for the spots that are missing. Her head is so cute, she has real black stubble (she was alway a blonde too) with spots missing, and her friends love it. She wears a wig but all her friends know, and she shows them in the bathroom at lunch time, and had no problem going on camp and sleeping with just her bandana.

So even though we have the same blood, my daughter and I are completely different with our alopecia. So who knows, think positive, and it does not hurt to know as much as you can, we all want to know what we ourselves are going through, but don't dwell on the sad, look for the positive and sucess stories and there are many on this site itself.

Thanks, I need to take more time to continue to look on the site - I haven't seen many success stories in terms of hair growing back, but I like the positive posts that I see--

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service