Hi there. I've been struggling with a receding hairline and hair loss for about 3 years now. I've run the gamut of testing and tried all sorts of products, LLT, etc. After the last 3 months of trying products from a European doc that didn't work, he referred me to a PRP and HT doctor in Sarasota. After reviewing my scalp, he told me that PRP wouldn't work and that HT wouldn't either. He asked if anyone had ever told me I might have FFA. Nope. That was new to me until this week. After doing some research (which led me to this site), I believe this is what I have. What started as a receding hairline (haha, isn't that funny I have a hairline like a man) became much more devastating the further back the hairline has gone. I have diffuse thinning on top as well but have hair in the back and sides. As my screen name suggests, my hair is naturally curly for which I am grateful. It helps me hide the scalp better and a pull all my hair forward and fill it in with Toppik. My eyebrows are virtually non existent and I don't grow hair on my legs except for a stray hair now and then. Kinda nice not to have to shave all the time but I'd rather HAVE to shave at this point and have all my hair growing again. Like many of you, I hate windy days, don't like to be seated in a chair and have anyone stand next to me to talk to me, don't like anyone touching my hair and am self conscious on a daily basis.

I had a hysterectomy in 2008 which I'm sure set this off as well as a really stressful time transitioning from one job to another.

I spoke with a doctor friend of ours in Arizona yesterday. He asked if I had done the Barnes basal temperature test, which I haven't. He said that 90% of hair loss is thyroid related and that blood tests may look normal but the temperature test may reveal otherwise. Has anyone gone this route of testing? Is there anything about FFA that is thyroid related?

I'm considering getting a topper at this point. I really want my self confidence back.

Thanks for listening. I'm glad I found you.

Views: 1160

Replies to This Discussion

Please do whatever it takes to manage your stress - it seems to be the one thing that we all have in common after we get this - B vitamins and milk thistle have really helped me and I can only think that since I refused the meds from my derm after using them with no results and really worked on my stress that that had to have been what stopped my hair loss in it's tracks - the lichen planus on my scalp has been a different story - lately I started using rogaine again and it seems to be getting rid of it - have no idea why - watch your diet as well - I eat mostly fruit, veggies, bottled water and maybe 1/5 of my diet in meat or other protein.  Very low sugar as well.  Hang in there - and be honest about - I have told a lot of women to take care of themselves and manage the stress in their lives as I would not want to wish this on anyone!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service