Hi all,

Im looking for a bit of advice as to what to ask my doctor.

I finally got a doctor's appointment (I'm living in Germany) and now that Olumiant is available on prescription here I'm ready to give it a try.

I have been struggling with alopecia all my life off and on and currently I'm pretty much hairless all over including eyebrows and lashes.

Apart from the alopecia I am healthy but have some arthritis here and there.

As most doctor's that I have seen over the years have basically no idea about this condition and that German isn't my first language would anyone know what to ask for so that I come away with a prescription? 

Any advice would be helpful as I am not really good at communication when it comes to explaining my condition. 

Thanks in advance.

Views: 2552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hello abbs I have been on jaks since 2018, I added cortisone for 1 year it worked well but very little on the hair.

I tried tofacitinib, olumiant, and now abrocitinib 200mg a new one from pfizer jak 1 is the most effective.

Are you taking minoxidil orally or on the skin?

how long does minoxidil take to work

Hi. Been struggling with alopecia for 30 years so I know how you feel. After a year of Xeljanz then olumiant (both are same medicine) the alopecia is completely gone.

My advice, if the doctor is willing to prescribe it, don't hesitate about taking it. It's important to also use Minoxidil 5, because Olumiant without minoxidil will not grow hair. 

The issue of course is not knowing when to stop taking the medicine. 

Good luck

Hello, 

In addition to the good advice you're getting on this chat, I would recommend you watch two of NAAF's recent webinars on the new treatments. 

January 2023: JAK INHIBITOR TREATMENT FOR ALOPECIA AREATA: UNDERSTA...

June 2022: ALOPECIA AREATA TREATMENT UPDATE: A NEW FUTURE AWAITS

NAAF's upcoming new website will also have an FAQ for treatments.  Stay tuned!

Hi. I recently stopped taking the medication after being on it for six months. Like you, I was in good health. I recently went for my yearly physical, and my blood work was concerning. I had high blood pressure, and cholesterol was high, and they found two lumps on my left breast. The medication is so strong that you must go Monthly to get your blood work done. Please do your research; it would take almost two years to see a big difference.  I hope you have a different outcome. Good luck!

Are you in the UK?

I'm 60. I have complete growth after one year of use with zero side effects. TBH high cholesterol isn't as scary as it's made out. Millions of people use JAK2 inhibitors for Rheumatoid and other autoimmune issues. If you're psychologically impacted by AE consider resuming the treatment. 

Did you have A.U? If so how long did you have it? How many months was it before you started seeing hair growth?

Sorry to hear Judith, I hope heal quickly from all. And lumps turn out to not be anything serious. Good thoughts your way!

Just a quick update..the doctor will not prescribe any JAK as they said that I need to find a dermatologist who has experience with this issue, and I need to find one that deals with this disease and not just a beauty treatment dermatologist..I'm pretty much feeling deflated as I have been through this doctors process before and had no good results.

Anyway, I called around and found a dermatologist in another city that might possibly have some experience ( it sounded promising on the phone)

and I have an appointment for next week as someone cancelled..so let's hope that something comes of this..and thanks again for all the replies and information, this is a fantastic and supportive group and I'm happy to be part of it.

thanks for update, sorry hear about the 1 dr. that's good resiliency to keep trying and good a quick cancelation with another. I found some doctors you can sometimes email too. Also with Alopecia can be a thing keep researching and reach out for support on. Yes is great group. Please keep us posted. 

Ps have you seen if there any specific groups in Germany that maybe have folks that have derm recommendation too, just a thought. 

Hi is there anyone in the UK using this treatment? 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service