Question for full lace wig wearers. How frequently do you take shower with your wig on?

How frequently do you take shower with your wig on?

Views: 9625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Amber

This is more for curiosity and knowledge for myself. You say your hair doesn't need to be washed that often because it doesn't get natural oils on it. Wouldn't the cap though??? If you are exercising etc. wouldn't the oils and perspiration go onto your cap creating a problem, if it wasn't cleaned regularly.

What do the resellers/vendors/manufacturers of lace wigs and conventionally made wig suggest is an appropriate timescale for washing handtied wigs.

In the wigs I understand (Freedom Wigs), I would recommend washing and conditioning the hair every week (dependent on what you are doing). I also pass on that the cap should be cleaned after every wearing.

I understand that these two products are very different, so I'm really just trying to understand so I can pass on the right information if I am asked.

Thanks.

Rosy

I am by no means an expert, but I’m happy to share what I do and what’s been recommended to me by both wig professionals and other wig wearers.

What I mean by “didn’t need to be washed often” referred to the fact that back when I had hair it would look greasy about 6 hours after I washed it, my hair really needed to be washed daily and sometimes again if I worked out later in the day. A wig does not need to be washed this often.

I bond it myself, and I usually bond for about a week, no more than 2 (I still have some hair I have to shave so I don’t it to grow out too much). After I take it off I always wash the cap on the inside with a little shampoo or soap sometimes, I then rinse it out. Next I use a good conditioner on the hair starting a few inches down from the lace, I let it sit for awhile. I then rinse it out. If I feel like the hair really needs shampoo like after campfire smoke or if there’s product build up, I only then use it. After I wash the cap, I then fill a bucket with water and mix in a little shampoo, I then dunk and swish my wig. Being very careful, many people get tangles or matting this way, I never have. After each dunk and swish I use a super wide tooth comb to prevent tangles. I then rinse again and then move on to the conditioner. I shampoo the hair maybe once a month. *This is my personal method it works for me and my wig, it may not be the best for other wigs or other types of hair.*

The lace is not porous, yes it needs to be washed, but not as badly as a more traditional wig cap or sheitel that has fabric as a lining. It’s never felt gross from my head, just where the tape and glue have been.

Depends on who you ask and the quality of the hair. It also depends on what kind of cap it is and if it’s bonded or not. I would recommend first asking who you buy it from, maybe even others who wear the same style wig. I then would trust your own instincts. When it looks, feels, or smells dirty then it's time to wash it. However try not to wash it with shampoo more then it needs, over time it will shorten the lifespan of the wig (excess drying and stripping what is left of the good oils from it). Also not all shampoos are created equal, I would stay away from clarifying shampoos and most companies suggest not using shampoos or conditioners with sulfates. As for conditioning the hair I would say once a week if you can, because there are no naturals oils from the scalp. The hair tends to dry out quickly, especially the more the hair has been processed.

I have never worn a freedom wig or any human hair wig in a cap style other than full lace. I went straight from traditional synthetics to full lace wigs. What they recommend might be totally different. I have no experience there.

I should also add that I wear overly processed Indian Remy hair. European hair or virgin high quality hair is a whole other ball of wax. Things might be completely different in regards to cleaning and maintenance.

Hope this helps a bit.

PS Wearing a human hair wig is a constant learning experience, if anyone does things differently please feel free to share. I am always interested in how others do things, that is how we all learn after all.

Thanks for getting back to me...great info. :)

Rosy

Hi Amber,

Do you use a freedom wig? I am new to wigs and I would love any information. How much would it cost to have one made? Is it breathable or hot?

Hi Amber 

I have only just noticed this post.  I don't wear freedom wigs, but my daughter does and has done for the last 11 years.  If you want to find out cost you will need to work out which Independent Agent is closest to you.  You can do this by going to the freedom wigs website www.freedomwigs.com  then to the 'contact us' page.  

The cap on a Freedom wig is water vapour permeable which means when you  perspire (normal activity - not running a marathon), the perspiration will pass through the cap keeping you dry and comfortable.  

Heat and wigs is always a difficult and annoying thing for wearers.  All wigs are hotter than no hair or your own growing hair.  In my experience with those I help in New Zealand the feed back is that a Freedom Wig is no hotter or cooler than any other type of wig.  But what is wonderful is their is absolutely no itching or irritation, they are extremely easy to keep clean and hygenic and they are really beautiful (I am biased as my daughter has worn them for years and I love her wigs, I also help people with Freedom Wigs in New Zealand). 

Hope this info helps and I'm sorry I didn't answer your questions earlier. 

Rosy

I haven't worn "freedom wigs" but I have worn vacuum wigs.  This was quite a while ago, so I'm sure the product is better now.  They are secure and natural looking.  The heat was unbearable.  Sweat would pool, and when I popped it off my head the sweat would just run down my face.  Water sports were fine because you didn't overheat, and the fit was so secure I could actually enjoy myself.  But, the heat? Wow! Just awful.  My face would turn purple.  

HI Amber, 

When you work out at the gym, how do you prevent sweat from getting into the cap? Do you wear any head caps underneath the wig to help absorb the sweat? 

I never shower with my wig on. I always take it off.

this will cut down the lifespan of your wigs, so i suggest you not do that. Lots of people seek the ways to last the usage time of their wigs, if it convenient for you to take it off from your head, just do that. whether what kind of wigs, in my opinion they are like my pets, when i wear them i feel more confident for they give me more hair volume or the hairstyle i want, they add beauty on me. So i take care well of them everyday. And as a wigs lover, i am a consultant for a wig brand called Uniwigs. Have you heard of it ?

When I had a full lace wig, I would only take showers with it on if I was at a sleepover,  at the beach, or something along those lines. 

How are you? I am Lucy, the sales manager of QD Woman Wig Co. Ltd. We are the large manufacturer of human hair products(lace wigs, hair wefts, hair extensions,lace frontals etc) in Qingdao,
China.We can supply you the top quality hair products with competitive price.
If you are interested, please feel free to contact me.
email:womanwig@yahoo.com
web: www.womanwig.com

I am Lucy, a sales manager in QD Woman Wig Co. Ltd in China. We make human hair products such as full lace wigs, lace fronts, hair wefts, hair extensions etc. We use the best quality young people hair and no shedding no tangles. They give you luxury feeling. It is your best choice. I try my best to give you the best service and products, my friend.

Web: www.womanwig.com
Email: womanwig@yahoo.com

Attachments:

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service