Hello,

I just was diagnosed with Alopecia..never knew what it was..woke up one morning and there it was :( I have been so sad ever since, having a hard time going to work as it is getting harder to hide..I am always in a bad mood..taking it out on the people that are trying to be there :(

I find that the doctors dont take seriously..does anyone find this? or is it me being senstive?

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One more comment....many doctors do NOT take this seriously. "It is only hair!'’ they say. Fortunately for me I got more support from the PA in my regular drs office than I ever have from the derm (who I am dropping in Jan when I change insurance carriers). The PA worked with me to stop some meds I was taking which had “hair loss” as a side effect (I had two things going on – AA and male pattern baldness). The PA told me, “You can’t lose your hair! If any meds might be contributing to this or have triggered it, then let’s stop them now!”
Hi, I completely relate to your comments. I too,am sad and always in a bad mood. I am in constant torment, my hair loss is all i can think about. When i am at work, all i can think about is the fact that my hair falls out. I dont care about anything else. My hair is/was not great in the first place, but it was MINE!! I hate when people say, its only hair, well, if its only hair, why is so much emphasis placed on it in this society?
We all go through it and after 8 yrs i still have my bad moments,Just try to keep your head up and forget about the hair loss as hard as it is.
Hi Stephanie,

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. It is quite a shock and you are about to learn a whole lot of information on Alopecia. My dermatologist, whose business is mostly hair related, has also seemed to not care much. Now I realize that he just doesn't have any definitive answers to give and he knows that his treatment is really not too effective, so his seeming to be apathetic is probably more a frustration that he cannot help me.

I hope you feel better with the support from this wonderful group. You are not alone but you are unique and your story will be as well. Your hair may grow back on it's own, even without treatment, but regardless it does not define you.

Please contact me whenever you want. It's good to know there are people out there who TOTALLY understand what you are feeling and can be there with you as you experience each aspect of this condition.

:) Stephanie
hey stephanie,
i know exactly how u feel as i lost my hair 6months ago and was dealin wi it really well but the last few wks ive bn quite depressed about it, i stare at women on the bus as they fix or run there fingers thro there hair, makes me so sad, all i want to do is brush blow dry starighten or tie my hair up, i miss it so much, and no its not only just hair it was my hair and who i was,
this site will give u support 24/7 so please keep ventin and talkin about it as it does help,
i hope ur feelin better sn,
keep in touch, much love, lynne x
I cannot thank you all enough. I already feel better everytime I log into this site...

Again..thank you so much for all your replies..

When I first starting researching, i thought this was a very rare to have Alopecia..

I just cannot believe there is nothing they can do for us..with all the new technology..i just dont understand
Hi Stephanie,

You are really new to this thing called alopecia. Give yourself some breathing room. Your family/friends will understand. It's a long road. I hope you will find your way in time.
Also never forget that just as the alopecia came... it can leave!!!

Hang tight!

Jeffrey
Always remember and never forget that this is true. Your immune system can settle down at anytime and leave you and your hair alone!

Hugz,

Jeffrey
Thank you, that makes me feel so much better

is that what it is? is my immune system weak? did I do something wrong, not take my vitamins..i feel so helpless because I dont know what to do...and when the doctors dont know what to do..thats when I start to panic..

I dont know if I have AA or AT or AU, i have so many questions..all they told me is that I had Alopecia..
Stephanie,

Your immune system is not weak. It's attacking itself. A major difference in a good way. Meaning this is possibly a reversable condition.

Jeffrey
I understand completely. When I was diagnosed, the only one who took it seriously was the dermatologist. I was seeing about 5 different doctors at the same time, just trying to figure out what was wrong with me. It was very upsetting. It seemed like one day I had a full head of hair and the next I didn't. I have Alopecia Areata, however my hair is now growing back in.

The doctors I went to were unfortunately just making me sicker. Each medicine they gave me caused a different problem. In September I gave up on traditional medicine and began going to an herbalist. He is working to balance my immune system and get it to stop attacking itself. The results have been amazing and far better than any I've experienced until now. In the past month, all of my patches show significant hair growth. I estimate that within about another 3 months I'll be back to normal.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there. Enjoy trying some wigs in the mean time and reinvent yourself. It's liberating. I've been having a ball with it myself. And, people are much more supportive than we sometimes give them credit for. As I reinvent myself, people I never knew noticed me, are joining the fun.

Keep me posted on your progress.
Don't feel bad, you are not the only one,I was diagnosed about a month ago too.I am having a major time with this too.I don't get what is going on,I've never heard of more people having this disorder ever before.There has got to be something going on with the ozone layer,or something.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service