I am convinced that alopecia is a nutritional issue.  I have avoided posting to the discussion until now because I was so discouraged with the loss of hair that my child was experiencing and the lack of hope and a cure from doctors and those who have suffered from this condition.  I started reading every piece of information that I could find that might offer a solution to this problem for my teenage daughter who developed this condition in the fourth grade.  She is now in the eight grade.  I started her on a regimen of vitamins to include a multivitamin and colostrum that I ordered from synertek.  I also use the colostrum shampoo from the same company and l-glutamine.  I saturate her hair with the shampoo which contains several essential oils along with the colostrum.  I cover her hair with a plastic bag and let her keep it on for at least two hours each day.  I have also changed her diet to include organic vegetables and meat with minimal breads, potatoes, and sweets.  These are only allowed for special occasions.  I cook the vegetables in coconut oil.  My child had progressed to total loss of hair on the scalp.  I am happy to report that this regimen along with prayer has resulted in hair regrowth with only three small patches of hair loss.  This includes hair growth around the edges and bony parts of her head where we were told that the hair would probably never regrow by the dermatologists.  I just could not bear subjecting her to the steroid injections that did not work.  We have also eliminated fast food consumption.  Her hair is short but we are hopeful that the length will increase with a little more time.

Views: 6421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always thought worry and stress had a lot to do with the hair loss at least for me it did school played a big part of my stress.. I know your doing everything you can but sometimes doing so much can't keep it from falling out.. I've had AA thr majority  of my life.. it had it's bad and good days lil patches and then huge patches.. well in to my adulthood about 5 yrs ago it turned into AU.been like that for 5 yrs still no change. it just all disappeared like into thin air I couldn't even tell you where half my hair ended up.. I hope she continues her hair growth..  this autoimmune disorder  is soooo unpredictable ..

Mardy,

I agree with you. I had thick long hair.....In 5 years ALL gone. I've had every test etc. No reason or cure. Every now and then I get hair growth in spots. I've learned to master ther lace front wigs and I feel and look beautiful ( in my eyes). I love all the ladies on this site and hope we continue to share and inspire each other.

Konnie

That's great Angie!  I totally agree that what we eat, or don't eat, plays a big part.  I believe that my hair loss was due to vitamin deficiencies, Vitamin B12 and Iron.  

Hi Angie,

Would you mind shariing what a typical day would look like for your daughter (eating and supplement wise)? I would love to know.. thanks for posting!

Jason 

A typical day for my child includes meals that eliminate processed foods and breads.  Sugar intake is minimal.    The entire family has adopted this lifestyle.  Our diets consist of organic fruits and vegetables.  It is not just the food but the source of the food.  I live in a rural area so now I purchase my foods from nearby neighbors who raise everything.  I purchase a fourth of a cow each year, chickens and turkeys.  My husband also hunts.  So most of what we eat is raised organically or from the wild.  I also use coconut oil to prepare our meals.  In addition to the food, each morning my child takes a vitamin C tablet. multivitamin, cod-liver oil and colostrum.  I also wash her hair daily with a colostrum shampoo that I ordered from Synertek.  I  saturate her hair with it and place a conditioning cap on it for about 1 hour.  Then, I remove the cap and wash it out.  At least two days of the week, I give her colloidal silver ( 1 teaspoon).  I know that one size does not fit all, but I can truly say we are having success.  The hair is longer and the three tiny spots of hair loss are now growing.   I am also happy to report that for the first time in three years, she has eyelashes.  The most important ingredient in all of this for us has been a routine of prayer and seeking guidance from God.  This whole ordeal has been hard for my child because she is a child.  In addition, she has dreams of a modeling and acting career and has had those dreams and aspirations since pre-K.  At a time, when appearance and acceptance are so important, this disease has truly caused a lot of pain, heartache, and grief.  I dare not mention the bullying and ridicule from others and the stress that it has caused my child and my entire family.  I also need not mention the expense involved in searching for something that works, private school and now home school. 

Steroid injections are not very painful at all.. a minimal pin prick.  Forgotten as soon as its over.   I lost over 1/2 of my scalp hair last June, very suddenly, for the first time in my life at the age of 52.  Got my first appointment with a dermatologist for my first injections in November 2013.  I have had 3 treatments of injections.  I am currently growing an ALMOST full head of hair.  2 small bald spots not much larger than a quarter.  I also spray a cortisone spray on my scalp at night and in the morning (CLOBEX is its name).  Thankfully, our health care system covers the cost of the steroid injections, and my spray, and I have not had to pay a cent for them.

Thankfully there is much support out there for those of us with Alopecia.  Nothing to be ashamed about.  Hair is really over-rated.  Education about the condition might lead to more support for research into it, that is my hope.  I don't wear wigs.  I have gone bald, quite proudly actually.

Blessings to you daughter.

My child did not find the injections to be painless.  I guess like everything that everyone is saying this is also something that can vary.  My child cried because these injections were so painful for her.  I can only say what has worked for us.  We tried steroids in the form of injections and creams and it did not work.  The hair loss got progressively worse.

I am glad you saw success but I don't think it is fair to say that all alopecia is result of diet.   I have been extremely healthy eater and fit individual my entire life. Before it was vogue, I ate whole grains, low or now sugar, milk, wheat.  I have had biopsies and intestinal scopes done; I don't have chrohns, celiac nor any undiagnosed foid allergies.  I eat carefully.  I exercise and meditate daily. This has been my practice most of my last 25 years. I have experimented with different diets but my AU persists and has done so for last 14 years. I am frustrated when people assume or comment that our alopecia can be fixed by merely improving our diets. How exactly do you expect me to eat when I have been eating pure healthy food , tried food elimination, been tested, exercise daioy, etc.  Don't tell me it's my fault I have alopecia! 

Oh yes, I'm allergic to potatoes. I don't eat much animal meat. I avoid dairy.    I have been gluten free (no point though - my colon and intestines are clean and not inflamed and celiac biopsy was normal) and had no effect on my alopecia. I take vitamins.  I don't like sweets. I don't EVER EVER eat fast food. I haven't been in a McDonalds since the late 1970s!   I exercise every single day of my life for almost 35 years. I meditate. I pray daily. I am happy with my life. My AU has been with me for 14 years.    What is it I'm apparently doing wrong?

Dear Tuesday,
I wonder how you know that you are allergic to potatoes ?
I think AU is a mysterious illness and that there are many levels to it not just the physical - so be kind to yourself, you seem to do a lot right in your life !

Hi Tuesday,

You are not doing anything wrong at all.  I can only tell you what happened to me.  When my hair first started to fall out a blood test showed that I was deficient in B12 and low in Iron Ferritin.  What I didn't know until almost 2 years later was that B12 only comes from animal products so meat, fish, eggs, cheese etc and the nutrients in the food we eat now a days are not as good as they used to be.  B12 needs to be over 500, this is the practice in Japan but unfortunately not many doctors in other countries have knowledge of this.  This may not be your answer but I am sharing my story in the hope that what I found may help others too. Most people don't want to listen and I understand, I didn't know what I know now until I did the searching myself.   

Debbie.

Eating a particular diet might not help all, but for those that read negativity about what could fix their problem could bypass the one thing they need. I would be careful stating that what you eat "will not help" your autoammune. I know for a fact that it can and I'm very excited to let others know so they might be on the right track. To anyone who reads this, I have had AU for almost 12 years, and going gluten free along with taking probiotic has brought my hair back!!!! I hope all will try this and see if it can work for you!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service