I have had AU for nearly 17 years and have had only six colds (and never the flu) or anything like that. I wonder if the immune system being SO busy attacking hair follicles everywhere on your body that its like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I would like to hear whether any other alopecians (esp those with AU) have experienced a similar super-duty immune system?? Even cuts or scrapes heal VERY quickly.

Views: 1786

Replies to This Discussion

Yes dust and mold, fresh cut grass, certain plants blooming will set off my sinuses

Yeah I hardly ever get sick even when I went through Basic Combat Training and everyone gets some kind of bug I didn't get sick :)

It is not that it's weak, it's over active!

i bruise so easily. but i know that i should be getting sick from quite a few things that i do. like i should get eye problems from wearing my contacts all the time, which is not good. but i think i've had them once. and, the only sick i get is from the sicknesses i got from my genes. like constant uti's. other than that. i stay pretty healthy.

Mine's not as awesome as yours, but I heal pretty quickly and I rarely get sick.

I had AT since 12 then at 30 AU (to now), I think my immune system is so busy attacking my thyroid and hair, it doesn't have time to keep away the colds etc....alergies are a daily thing - really don't think about it that much though.

My immune system doesn't seem to help with keeping colds etc. away, everything the kids bring home from school I catch, as a teenager I got all the bugs going around school. My body and my daughters does not fit this category..... but wish it did :)

My mother does have a theory re my immune system, she says that my immune system was stuffed up from spending most of my childhood in hospital on meds, due to chronic asthma, Pneumonia, and Bronchitis (apparently things got very touchy for me a number of times). Its a interesting thought, however my daughter was heatly child, & just got the norm of things from childcare and school, so that theory has now been scratched for me.

I just got AU 5 months ago, before I got it I was really allergic, always coming up in rashes, my face and eyes swelling up and in May every year I would always get really bad hayfever and get eye/face swelling - so far nothing, I have had none of my usual allergies this year. I do wonder if my immune system is so busy as you said fighting my hair that it hasn't the energy to react to the pollen etc that normally sets me off...maybe a good thing about it.

Maybe so, I hope so anyway

Thanks for the reply Ken, I appreciate it.

I was officially diagnosed with areata about a month ago and I am the same way! I rarely get sick and if I have cuts they are better with a day or two. My doctor said he has noticed that it alopecia patients. I am perfectly okay with not getting sick very often!

That's cool. At least your doctor will acknowledge the chance of a correlation.

If someone with a cold talks to me on the phone I catch it LOL (well almost ;) )

Its bloody annoying. Im trying all different kinds of immune boosting food etc..... and of course to live like a hermit and avoid anyone who has a cold.

I do find myself getting rather irritable when someone who ive invited round for a meal - or am taking on a lift somewhere arrives with a stinky cold and I have to sit next to them for 2 hours. I soooo know Im going to catch it - I think Im getting more impatient as I get older but I still manage to remain polite and then just grumble away inside my head LOL

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service