Have you all seen this article yet? http://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/news/pb/62273

My derm mentioned sunscreen as a possible trigger during our first visit but she wasn't committed to the idea. Anyone else have a doc mention this as a possible link?

Of course, my first reaction was to throw out my sunscreen but I don't even know if:

1) This has been proven?

2) Would it even make a difference? 

I would love to hear your thoughts. 

Views: 2528

Replies to This Discussion

I have stopped using all sunscreens since I read the article. I have used a daily moisturiser with spf15 for 10 years followed by daily use of spf50 for about 4 years before developing FFA... Would be interested to hear about which creams everyone is using?
I to think if it were sunscreen there would be a lot more women with this issue. But yet I also wonder if our genetic make up makes us more sensitive and we react differently to things than others. I do remembers when I first noticed my hairless was on my legs after using the Nads Hair Remover product. I remember first doing a test strip to see if I would react to it with my sensitive skin. That area never grew hair back. Anyone else use that product?

I won't be using the products anymore. I actually have been getting away from using such products lately.  I don't think that is the only factor in FFA and LLP or we would see a lot more women with the condition.  I think, as I have said before, that it takes the perfect storm that comes together for many of us with sensitivities for the condition to occur.  I am more careful about the chemicals I use on my skin and hair.  

Saw an article in the NYT today about Gwyneth Paltrow and her beauty habits. Turns out it mentioned Juice Beauty, which is what I use, and her belief that you should steer clear of "chemical" sunscreens. I looked at my BB cream and the SPF is zinc oxide. Then I found this: "The term 'chemical-free sunscreens' is commonly used to describe 'physical' or 'mineral' sunscreens, those that use the minerals zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide as their only active ingredients. Apparently with zinc oxide there is no chemical reaction at the skin level. For whatever that's worth.
Here's the NYT article just FYI
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/07/fashion/gwyneth-paltrow-juice-bea...

This research opened my eyes to the impact all products may have on FFA and other diseases. I have been using an eye cream and a skin conditioner with SPF daily, every day, for decades. Because it is a product developed by a doctor, I assumed it was safe. It protected my skin and I loved it. I have recently been diagnosed with FFA, but hair loss, first on my legs, began many years ago. I've lost my eyebrows and significant hair loss at my temples.I have stopped using my SPF creams and am looking for alternative sunscreens without the chemicals used as sunscreens in my former product. I also have a history of rosacea and fit the FFA profile as described in this study. 

As a result of this article I discovered a wonderful research/advocacy organization that reveals the safety level of all ingredients and rates tens of thousands of products. They have an app that can go on your iPhone that enables you to scan the bar code of products before you purchase them. They have done remarkable research on beauty products, cleaning products, food, etc. Check it out here, Environmental Working Group:   ewg.org.

Here is the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database.  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

My trusted skincare product rated a 6 with 8 being the worst and 1 being the safest. I am moving to all products rated 1 or 2. This database provides the information needed to make product selections.

Many thanks for the heads-up on this research.

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing this great resource. 

Nancy, thank you for a heads up on that app. I have referred to that site for a few years but did not know about the app. I have been switching my products over for several years, even before the diagnosis. Even if these things don't cause it I am certain they only aggravate inflammation and can't be good for people. Endocrin disrupters are in lotions, makeup, plastic wraps, etc. I switched to all glass food storage, too. Household cleaners also emit bad stuff that gets into our indoor air. Toxins. I am considering tackling that next. There's a new place near me that sells more natural cleaners and you refill your container over and over so no plastic waste. I switched my laundry detergent and dryer sheets, too. Good to consider all chemical exposures.

Mel, glad this is helpful to you. This has become my favorite app. This site is helpful in all the areas you mentioned and I am going to do all that you suggested.

I looked up Juice Beauty tinted moisturizer with SPF 30 and it gets a #1 rating so , while I am always skeptical, good to know ... I'm going to use this app a lot.

interesting.  More than half the products I use are cruelty free, natural without toxins, but there are a few that do not fit that category so I sincerely hope it's not one of those!! How could we know?!!  :(

since this was posted I have learned a great deal of new things about toxins in relation to FFA.  What's probably important to keep in mind is that everything about FFA is based on genetic markers.  i million people could use the same product and be exposed to the same chemicals and ingredients but only people with genetic markers that respond negatively to those ingredients will acquire FFA or any other such disease.  If I understand correctly the disease is aggravated by bio psycho social factors that evoke stress.  So, it's useless to compare the inflammation based auto immune disease we are suffering to people who do not have these markers.  We have to just keep exploring and talking and asking questions to continually learn more.

Has anyone seen this article just published in March 2016?

Frontal fibrosing alopecia: possible association with leave-on facial skin care products and sunscreens; a questionnaire study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26987767

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service