I have been wearing wigs for 14 years! Wow.

My first few wigs were pricey. I've worn $300 wigs and $20 wigs. Human and synthetic. Every color under the sun! (Okay, not orange or yellow. Maybe some day) I have settled somewhat comfortably for the last 10 years on $30 wigs. I'm partial to the Sis brand at the moment. More than anything because of color and style options. They die so fast! A month is pushing it. I go around bald occasionally but have mostly stopped. I love wigs- but again, they are just so temporary.

Does anyone else deal with this frustration? The knots that form on your back and the eventual crunchy ends that turn into Velcro dreadlocks. Ugh. I've tried fabric softener, detanglers, wig shampoos, combing vs brushing- nothing seems to make a dramatic difference. I've scoured forums and found tips on cosplay sites, but then those wigs are for occasional use and don't have to go through the wear and tear of everyday use.

I've looked at the more expensive wigs but where are the fun color options or styles? Maybe I want to have a natural looking pink wig? Frustration. My next attempt is making my own. I have access to the supplies at my local wig shop, so I'm going to give it a go. Not sure if it will be for me. I do keep my old ones, mainly because I do have a use for them so they aren't going to waste.

I know wigs aren't meant to be forever, but has anyone else found something that really works for keeping them looking nice? Does anyone else deal with these cheaper wigs and let out that sigh while brushing when you realize another one has bit the dust?

Views: 2941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Karen,  your scarf looks gorgeous on you!  

Hello Everyone
Sorry I am so late in replying.
I have a lot going on.Moving etc.

There's so much more to life than Alopecia...
Like MOVING!!! (It just stresses me out)
So I'm moving to a section of the city,where the resident are all people
Whose person styles defy convention.
Hipsters,Artist,Hippies,Gay,Trans,Musicians,Interacial couples,Christians,bhudist .....
Etc,Etc!!!
Oh,Professors,Doctors,Lawyers.....
By the way.My New landlord has Had Alopecia since he was 12.He remembers a tough childhood and being teased.He also tells stories about being in a room full of baffled doctors,who wanted to experiment on certain therapies that had horible side effects.

He said that he was sad all the time,but he decided to study and work hard at school,becoming extremely successful.
He now owns half the town.
Real estate,restaurants,liquor stores etc.
He's married and has 4 children.

The first time Iet him,I was wearing my wig,and I said "each morning I wake up looking Justine you" He smiled,at first not knowing what I meant.
Then he said toe "I have Alopecia"
We hit it off and shared our stories.
To be continued...
I'm venturing out today without my wig.
Have a great day everyone!!!

I have found success with wigs by Milky Way.100% human
Remt hair.Lace front.They run between $200 - $400.

However,it's summer and very hot.Since the lace is in the front only,I cannot put it up in a full ponytail or bun,without looking matronly.
So,what's an Esthete/Stylish girl to do?
Although there are wigs that have lace all around,they cost a bit more.Around $600.
Then one would need to glue or use tape to hold it securely.
By the way.i only use tape with my regular wigs,on windy days.

With that said.I love the way I look without hair.
I find that going without a wig requires different outfits and accessories.
Also,since I eat healthy and take great care of my skin,going out bald is a good look.

To be honest,I would rather buy jewelry and accessories instead of wigs.
Check out the Interior Designer Sheila Bridges.
www.sheilabridges.com
Not only is she one Americas top interior designers,but she has an amazing sense of style.
Omg!!!
Sorry for all the typos. and scrambled paragraphs.

I'm on my iPhone.Not sure why this happened.

Susan! I thought the flow/layout was kinda cool ... "defying convention", like the folk in your new'hood! :-)

Hi Tuesday,
Today is Monday...
Yes I hear you.Thanks
A sense of humor is sometimes all we need.

Thank you, it's basically all I ever wear, especially during the summer months.

WOW, this thread says a lot!  Several people recognize Rose Marie's expertise, I also respect her advice, but know not many people can afford the price of a Freedom. I have been in this business for many years, know some of the bigger vendors and worked on I think every major brand of wig on the market. There is no perfect product, but there are some good ones today that we did not have 20+years ago.

I personally still wear synthetic, fashion wigs. Mine are now lasting 2 years, but I can, and do recondition them often. There are only a few that I like, most styles still look fake to me.

As far as human, several people have said what I feel, that they do not last long either. The hair that is harvested for any human hair wig that is reasonably priced has already been processed, so it is damaged to begin with. Add to that the issue of ventilating one or two hairs at a time by tying it in a knot, you have a recipe for wig alopecia, the hair will break or fall out. Even at $300.00-$600.00 replacing gets very expensive.

Everyone wants to buy on the Internet because prices are better than a store, but since you can't try them on it is a gamble. Nothing looks like the photo, all wigs must be cut for the individual face, and just choosing something is overwhelming. Stores cost money to stay open, Internet business do not. I still say pay the extra money, get what works, work with a professional that will help you take good care of the wig. If your professional is knowledgeable he or she can end up saving you money.

Navigating the world of wigs,is like dating.
One may kiss a few frogs,before finding a prince.
I know,because I have been there.

I also found out,that you can add in layers of hair,
as the wig beggins to shed.

A month ago,I purchased human hair and added 4 tracks to my wig.

There are tutorials on you tube.
Search : YouTube for "adding tracks to a lace front wig.

At the end of the day,if you can afford the specialty wigs that are
priced at $5,000 and up,I say go for it.
But if your budget does not allow,please know that you still have
options.
I was wondering if I could salvage my HH wig. It lost an inch wide strip across the middle of my bangs. I checked out a couple of U-Tube videos and found one that explained it clearly with large props and closeups. Basically it's like rug hooking but with hair. :)
As far as spending $5,000 on a wig, I bought my car for less than that.

Has anyone used the cap/wigs where you pull your hair through?

You can pull your hair through any open wefted wig. However, I have found many of the wigs made to integrate your hair into them do not stay in place as well as an open wefted one. In human hair open wefted wigs are hard to find, but Raquel Welch has one.

I have had alopecia for 25 years so I know your pain.  Its very disheartening to have to throw away a wig that looked great on you and try to find a new one to take it's place.  Because I like contunity, I ordered four human hair lace front wigs from China at approx. 75 US each.  Two curly ones and two straight ones but in the same color and hair texture.  I rotate these wigs monthly and repair them myself when they start shedding.  I ordered ventilating hooks on Amazon.  I watch a good long movie (usually a Chickflick) and ventilate the hair that have broken out.  It takes a lot of time, but if you are on top of it, there isn't a lot of work. Voila!  Problem solved.  I can maintain the styles that I like and no one suspects that I am wearing a wig.

Also, I invested in a bandana style wig to hang out at home, do gardening or run simple errands.  This also gives my daily wigs a break. 

Take care and good luck

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service