Hello all first off let me say I have been battling alopecia totalis for 3 years. I've had alopecia for 5 years in total. I came across a post that someone put up about making a tumeric paste. On top of that I did some more research and came across a recipe to make a Tumeric Smoothie. Well, I have hair growing back fully in places where I cannot say but I'm sure you get it lol. My eyebrows and eyelashes are growing back. I now even see peach fuzz and spots that looks like when a man shaves and his hair is growing back on my head. My head was the first place I started to lose my hair so to even see something I'm happy. I drink this smoothie every day faithfully and I must say it tastes great in my opinion. As for the Tumeric paste, I do not like the taste. I normally take a half of tablespoon every other day and wash it down with water immediately. I have stopped all treatment from the dermatologist because reading about the meds I was taking such as proscar, prednisone and nexium I found out I was hurting my body. I hope this reaches everyone well and good luck. Remember alopecia doesn't define who we are and it took some time for me to realize that so embrace it my alopecia family....Talk to you soon!!!!!

Views: 1885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm taking supplements. I noticed what appears to be positive results. First, spots in my beard began having bristles of white hair. this was 2 weeks after taking quercetin. It was also 2 weeks after my last round of injections. But the injections hadn't done this before, and the hair isn't necessarily where the injections were. I've also noticed decreased shedding on my head since I started the turmeric supplements along with vitamin D3 and vitamin C. It's purely anecdotal, though. Still, these are good supplements that support good health. I've also noticed a pain in my back has nearly gone away.  

Could someone tell me the name of some tumeric supplements? To be honest the Tumeric paste tastes nasty that's why I wash it down with water but the smoothie taste great.

Mine is from Amazon and it's Schwartz bioresearch "premium ultra pure" It's 1500 mg per dose, which equates to 3 pills a day, a month's supply. 

Thank you, I will look into this.

I have been drinking a tumeric tea for about six months, almost every day. I am also on methotrexate, but I'd had a couple of relapses even while taking the MTX (I had kenalog injections on several 'new' spots over the summer). But the tumeric seems to be really helping, and I'm not stopping it! I drink 1 level 1sp of tumeric, black pepper, a little raw honey and some coconut milk in hot water every morning (usually on an empty stomach.) I have a capsule maker, so I want to try tumeric in the capsules, as well (for travel where its harder to bring the stuff for tea.) I'll report back on my results. I think it's really helping - it's stopped more shedding incidents if I stay with it.

Can you please keep me posted?

Hope this works for you! I think my shedding has lessened, too. I see hair growing quicker in spots, as well.

Thank you.

Quick update. I have increased my quercetin supplements to 800mgs/day. I've noticed increased hair regrowth and a drop off in shedding over the past two weeks. Some of the regrowth is, no doubt, accelerated by the injections. But, the beard--which has not shown  much improvement over the past 9 months--started regrowing when I started taking quercetin. Not scientific, I know. Coincidental, possibly. But, when I went from 450 mg to 800, I started noticing more re-growth. On my head, where I got a few more spots, I only needed two rounds of injections to start seeing improvement. There was another spot on the top that wasn't very big and the doctor wasn't sure if it needed an injection. It got a little worse after that, but now has hair starting in it (only with quercetin and using rogain). I go in for more injections today.

Bottom line, I think quercetin is helping to lower the inflammation. I've noticed a back pain go away shortly after taking the supplement, so, It's clearly doing some good in my body. Again, not scientific. I'm sure people react differently to these things. But this has been my experience.

I've also become more accepting of the condition and my stress is lower. That may be helping, too.

Although I have not tried the Quercetin Supplements I'm also starting to see increasing hair growth. I still take my Tumeric Smoothies everyday and I use Biotin. I stress less and I have no signs of my hair falling out so far. Congratulations to you.

That's great! My doctor actually put me on some topical creams and said I don't need further injections. He's seeing widespread re-growth, so the creams will help keep it going and there's no further need for me to go in for checkups unless hair starts falling out again.

It's so hard to know what's at work. Could it be that we're just healing in the normal course of the disease? Or is the turmeric and/or quercetin helping? Or a combination of all of the above? Certainly, some do not respond to the shots, or oral meds, or anything. That's what's so perplexing. My doctor said they want to find a blood marker so they can identify the trigger and know what's happening. But, alas, there isn't such a test. So, we're left "shooting in the dark." I hope your hair continues to grow!

Thank you, I keep asking myself the same thing. Is it the body healing itself because I checked today and I see even more growth on my head. To me it may not be much but it looks like when someone shaves and their hair is growing back. I'm just happy to see something. Glad to hear you don't have to do anymore injections.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service