Hello.

I'm new here. I'm 22 and am slowly but surely on my way to alopecia totalis. I've had it for about a year ad i'd say i have about a third of my hair left. It's at the stage where i've decided i might need to get a wig. I've seen some stuff on vacuum and gripper wigs.

I was just wondering who has gone for what! and which company they've gone though. I'm a student so i think i'll have to get a loan out for my wig so i want to make sure it's a good one.

I'm finding it pretty hard to come to term with Alopecia.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally agree with Christy. And don't worry about a wig staying on or any of that stuff-unless you have a very small head it will stay on by adjusting the straps at the back. But if it doesn't there are tons of people on several forums to give you advice and name some products that help-just keep asking questions! Or, btw-do you need a blond color or are you brunette or darker.
i
I would go with Raquel Welch wigs as they are cheap and young looking. Also wear wig tape and I was able to fool boys in college. When I had enough money I went with a vacuum piece. I chose Peggy Knight company, but if I could do it over would have went with Freedom Hair. I had horrible customer service dealing with PK.
The vacuum wigs are certainly a great option if you are active and want a wig that stays put, and you have no hair left at all. And they are made with European hair so that is also good.

You can also get the same kind of adherence with a wig that has poly material around the circumference or perimeter.

But heat is an issue in the summer. I have this kind of poly rim wig and it is too hot for me in the summer-and that is only with poly around the edge-not all over. For the summer I have a wig with the European hair, but with wefted sides and back-more comfortable in the heat.

And a less expensive way to start with learning about European hair wigs.
I am in my early 50s now, but I also started loosing my hair in college, and it has continued to get thinner over the years. I wore expensive, custom made hair pieces for a while, but lately, I have been having pretty good luck buying inexpensive fashion synthetic wigs off of the internet. I also cut and style them myself to give them a natural appearance. I also sew in toupee clips to help keep them on. This system seems to work well for me, but the wigs get frizzy after wearing about 6 weeks, so I change wigs fairly often. Hope this helps. Good luck dealing with all this. Liz

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service