Hey there, this is only my first proper post, so sorry, but its gonna be long :) I started wearing wigs about 2.5 years ago. Starting off first with a synthetic Jon Reneau & quickly moving on to full lace human hair wigs. I have androgenic alopecia or diifuse alopecia areata (they couldn't decide!) Had been loosing my hair since I was 16, so after years of lamenting, I bit the bullet, shaved the head and got into wigs :) Having lost a lot of my confidence over those years, I'm only now starting to sort of gain it back. I've always wanted to learn how to swim & surf, so have been trying but am struggling to find the right set-up of wig (or wigs) to get me through easily. Since I bond my full wig with tape,I don't really have issues with how secure it is, my question moreso is: Is it possible to continue an active lifestyle, including waterpsorts, whilst maintaining a decent looking wig (ones thats attached to your head I mean :))? I can't afford a Follea etc type wig, plus I think most people would scream if I suggested swimming or surfing in them! I buy cheaper FL wigs from China online, thats all I can afford,theres not a lot available n my area plus I like the lengths & realistic part lines of them. However, I could see them easily being ruined by all this water activity + extra washing; my current wig is already drying out and matting a bit.Also, I don't think freedom type wigs would suit due to price and the presence of head stubble :) Does anyone else do this kind of stuff? And how do they maintain the wig or wigs? It's possible I asking for too much, but I'm still not ready to go au naturel :( any suggestions welcome xx

Views: 43501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should try CyberHair - - it's really light - and made for water sports. I wear mine every other day for my regular wig as well. 

I have found it to be the best for swimming and working out and it goes right back to it's original style when it dries! For me , I don't feel comfortable without my hair and still love looking good when I'm swimming

or working out. Let me know how you like it.  They are only sold in exclusive studios - you can go the

Cyberhair  website and push "locate a studio" and hopefully you'll find a studio near you. Good luck.

I recommend HairDirect.com!

I usually go without wig using my Jemima Jackman headscarf under a swim cap, very freeing.

Those HH full lace sounds great, I'm going to look those up.

Thanks to everyone on this post!! I have just (in the last month) lost up to 90% of my hair, and it looks like my eyebrows etc may be going too, as I shaved my legs a couple weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be growing back! Maybe that's good haha. In any case, I'm guessing if it's AU, it's not coming back.

I do a tons of activites, mostly climbing, mountain biking, multi day hikes, swimming, multi day climbing trips without access to a shower haha etc, so I'm very interested in all the replies here. I have a full, virgin hair wig on order, but obviously, they are very expensive. I was told you can swim in it, sleep in it, etc but from what I read here, that seems to very much reduce the life of the wig.

I assume the Freedom wigs are similar to what I am getting (except mine has a silk base instead). Does anyone have any experience with how much the life of the wig is reduced? 1 year down from 2-5? And if you sweat or swim in it (in a lake), do you have to wash it right away? I've never worn a hair system before and am not sure what to expect!

Again, thanks so much with everyone's previous replies!

hi lemurgirl -

i have a freedom wig.  you can sweat and swim in the lake - no problem.  i really think that sleeping in it is what reduces the life of the wig because you can have some breakage.  other than that - go swim, climb, bike and run!  enjoy your life

Sorry, one more question - so how long does your freedom wig typically last you? If you're not sleeping in it, but doing everything else?

hi lemurgirl -  my freedom wigs usually last about 5 years.  it is custom made to fit your head, so there is no tape holding the wig on.  i wash the inside out daily with a drop of dish detergent on a wet washcloth.  i wash the outside (the actual hair) with shampoo and conditioner, just like everyone else!

Hi There! 

I have scarring Alopecia and love my hair system!! 

I have a hair system that is actually attached to my head!  Not by tape, but I do still have a bit of my own hair and they put a netting on, pull what hair you have through, attach a parting and then add panels.  It is BRILLIANT.  I do bootcamp, run, bike, , swim etc. and it behaves like my own hair would.  You even wash, condition and blow dry it like your own!  It is amazing.  I also have a natural hairline which is taped) but the tape gets changed maybe every two months, no big deal.When the wind blows it looks vey natural. I tried Wigs and hated them.  This thing is amazing.  Where do you live? They have quite a few studios. I know of two companies, one is better then the other.  Let me know if you want to find out more.  It really isn't anymore expensive then buying and replacing wigs.  My system gets a realignment twice a year (just like a car)  Ha.  Great solution to our problem.  Bald isn't beautiful, but WE ARE!!! 

Hi.  I am not familiar with a hair system.  I would definitely like more information.  Would you happen to know the name of it so I can research it.  Is this something that is available in the U.S?

For those recommending the Freedom Wig... has anyone wore it on a roller coaster? And... it might be too much to ask, but what about while being intimate with your partner (aka pulling the wig)?

I've done the roller coaster no problem. I'm not sure about someone pulling hard on my hair. The wig would stay on, but I don't want the hair being pulled out

Thank you for the response! :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service