Hello guys, I need your help!

I have a human hair wig.  At first it had a dark blond colour. I didn’t like this colour so I changed the colour in to a medium brown. Since I dyed the wig I have been facing some problems.

The wig tangles very quickly and feels very dry.  I gave it a coconut oil treatment. I let the hair soak for about 24 hours in coconut oil. I then rinsed it with shampoo (Guhl) and I deep conditioned it.

My wig feels not that dry anymore, but it still tangles and is matting badly. I have used Moroccan Argan Oil, different kind of shampoos and conditioners, but nothing seems to help.

Views: 2067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello

This may sound weird but if you soak your wig in soap powder, it will give your wig it's natural look back and feel soft.  For the tangling problem I apply a little bit of baby oil gel to it in the areas where it tangels up and flat iron it.  I have not had any problems from doing this.  I hope this helps.

Hello Xena, 

It sounds to me like the coating (yes coating) on your wig has worn off. This is usually what happens when you purchase a "human Hair" wig. This is because there is a silicone type of coating  on most machine manufactured wigs that are sold as "Human hair wigs". The purpose is to hide or MASK how damaged the hair really is. People are usually unaware of exactly how processed the hair is until it is purchased and washed or colored.  The chemicals in hair developers eat right through the coating taking away from the "lifetime" of the wig. This will also happen with repeated washing (only not quite as fast). Human hair wigs are no different than extension hair that you can buy in packs. If you know anyone who has used extensions you will know that they must be replaced when the hair starts to dry, tangle and mat. Same thing!!! I would suggest that you purchase VIRGIN hair the next time you purchase a wig. This type of hair will last much longer and color better as well. Please remember wig manufacturers use different terminology  such as "Human Hair" "Remy hair" and others to trick you into thinking that you are buying quality. If you are interested in REAL VIRGIN HAIR you can visit my website. It is packed with information and pictures. Hope this helps!!!!

www.compassionatecreationswigdesign.com

@ Shanique

Good advice, I will try it. What's a soap powder? Do you mean washing powder?

Hello
Sorry yes I do mean washing powder. It Makes the hair feel softer and easier to manage.
What kind of washing powder? Do you mean like Spic 'n Span or Sunlight laundry detergent or Oxyclean? (Canadian here)
My wig has gotten really dry lately. I've tried the deep conditioning and leave in oil. It's fine after it's brushed but gets all stiff and matted with a little wind or movement and then looks like crap.
I can't afford to get a new piece right now, so I have to make this one last.

Try Pure OLOVE moisturizing shampoo and conditioner as well as Loreal Evercreme Sulfate-Free Deep Nourishing Masque. In addition use a good leave-in conditioner such as Matrix Instacure Leave-In treatment. All these products can be found online, and have been a godsend in dealing with dry, processed hair systems. 

Just wondering..how often do you all wash and condition your wig? I wear mine every day and it's human hair. I try not to put any product on it so it can go between washes longer but normally wash it once a month. Is this about what you guys do? Know everyone probably has a different routine!
Julie, I usually recommend washing your wig about once a week. If you aren't sweating at all you can probably push it to two weeks but it's important to keep your scalp clean and healthy especially when wearing a piece on a daily basis. I recommend keeping the hair elongated during the whole process and refrain from scrubbing or matting the hair since it does not have oil producing glands. You can visit my "how to" videos for help if you need! Thanks hope this was helpful!
Www.compassionatercreationswigdesign.com

Lately, I've been washing it two or three times a week, I'm not sure if that is going to be bad for it in the long run, but I get a new system every three months, and frequent deep conditioning in the shower really helps get the knots out.

I was having the same sort of problems with my human hair wig.

I finally found a shampoo and conditioner that have really helped it. 

L'oreal Total Repair Treatment Shampoo and Conditioner (or Masque) I was amazed at how much this helped get rid of tangles and soften it without adding buildup. Just don't use too much, less is more.

The other saving grace, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. This will help cut through all the residue and buildup that has probably formed in your wig. I dont find oil treatments that helpful in wigs becuase they dont rinse clean. Dont overdo the leave in conditioners either.

So what i would try first is 

1) Wash and condition your hair with that l'oreal stuff, but just use a bit.

2) Rinse thoroughly and then do an apple cider vinegar rinse. Take about 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and put it in a jar or yogurt container, fill with cool water and pour over the hair. You dont need to rinse it out. 

3) Let it drip dry for a bit and gently towel dry it just by blotting it gently. Then comb out the tangles with a wide toothed comb, 

4) Then after when its just a little damp, see how "clean" it feels and looks..if it looks really squeaky clean, you could spray in a little of some leave in conditione or detangler. The loreal total repair detangler spray really is good too. Might as well just get the whole line! haha, and just use a bit of that to comb in. 

I hope this helps!! It did for me, i went for months trying differnet shampoos and going insane with giant disgusting mats and tangles and combed out so much of the hair just trying to brush it out, and then i stumbled upon this and its all i use now. 

OH, also forgot to say, not only does the apple cider vinegar clean it and reduce buildup, it makes it softer and shinier and helps prevent tangling. Its so good. I wash my wig about once a week and I probably do the apple cider vinegar every time but sometimes only use the tiniest bit. Of course if you over do it, it could dry out the wig too much and sometimes if your wig is feeling really great and healthy just skip it and just do your regular shampoo and conditioner. it might take time to figure out what is best for your hair piece :) But in general i use 1-3 tablespoons after a wash. 

I suggest that you can buy some better wigs. I can introduce you to a good selling Human Hair Extension I think you can take a look.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service