Hi, all,

I am about to give up trying to do anything with my failing hair, and am considering shaving it off and wearing a wig instead. Do any of you know anything about wigs and where I could get a good, and hopefully not too expensive, one? I'd really appreciate it.

Anne

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ktownnana, thanks for sharing all your wig hunting experience. I'm finding it very informative and useful although a bit confused at the moment. I've got advanced AGA and have been seeing a counselor who sees lots of women with alopecia. Her advice is to stay well away from synthetic wigs. She says that they just look "wiggy". I've since had 2 very expensive custom made human hair wigs made for me which are sitting in the cupboard. I don't feel like "me" wearing them and they don't fit well. Maybe it's just my head shape! I'm after a short pixie style which is apparently the problem with human hair wigs i.e. cut them short and they look "wiggy". Just wondering if you have tried human hair wigs? Are the synthetic wigs really that natural looking? Any tips on which are the best brands of wigs. Thanks again for your posts.

See, easy for someone to say stay away....the choice is yours. However, my experience and my fear is all the cost involved in a expensive custom piece, only to have it join all of the rest of the wigs in boxes in my closet.., barely worn. Then I add up what I have spent, and want to cry. I say, after having been there, done that, a decent synthetic wig is really the way to go....if it doesn't work out, or last long, you are not out thousands of dollars....esp. in a short style... you should find a bunch in short styles....And there is no maintenace in a synthetic wig....swish it in the sink with cleaner, dry over night, and shake it out and go.

Thanks, Lexi, for your input.

I'm new to all this, so while I'd like a 'natural-looking' wig, I don't want to pay the earth for one either.

Do your synthetic wigs make you feel hot, though?

I live in Vancouver, BC - where are you?

Anne

Hot? You are in Canada....Hello....You don't know HOT. Trust me. It was a "barn burner" today and now it is storming like crazy out there. At least it will cool it down some.

LiAnn, I don't have any human hair wigs because I just don't want the hassle of having to style them. I don't know why a counselor would tell you to stay away from synthetic wigs because they look "wiggy"--maybe years ago, but I think the ones today are very attractive. I've had nothing but compliments on the synthetic wigs I wear.

Thanks Ktownnana, I have just bought myself a Jon Renau pixie wig and I am really impressed by the quality and fit. It looks great and is comfortable but I'm just not use to having something on my head all the time. Have been out in it a couple of times since I got it a week ago and I feel much more confident with it on however i couldn't wait to get home to take it off. How long did it take you to get comfortable with wearing wigs? Thanks

Hi, Aimee,

Sorry, I should have said where I live! I'm in Vancouver, BC, and belong to the Alopecia World group there. I'm assuming you order the wigs online, but is there a way you can try them before hand?

Thanks for your reply.

Anne

Hi, Brenda,

Thank you for getting back to me and for your advice, but unfortunately I'm not very good at sewing, so I think I'd make a 'pig's ear' out of making a wig. (Maybe I could still wear the pig's ear on my head, ha, ha!). I probably should have mentioned that I live in Vancouver BC.

Which online site did you get your wig from? $40 sounds quite reasonable. My only concern is, were you able to try it before you bought it?

Take care,

Anne

Don't know where you live but I have a contact in toronto. It is 100% human Indian Remy hair and I've been wearing them for 4 years and I get them custom made to fit my head, everyone is shocked when they hear I'm wearing a wig because they say it looks so natural.

Hi, Angel,

I realize now that I should have mentioned that I live in Vancouver, BC. I've only just started looking here, but haven't had a lot of luck yet.

Thank you for your info, though! Is it expensive to get a wig custom-made?

Regards, Anne

Hi, I'm there too, really getting fed up with trying to hide the ever expanding spots and having no hair underneath made wearing the first wig I bought several years back difficult,partially because I'm completely bald on the underside all the way around and over ears, which made my wig slip up constantly, and also because I still had hair which I think contributed to the less than perfect fit. I would tighten the adjustments so tight I'd get a headache, I'm determined that I will shave and keep it that way, I may be wrong but I think it will be easier to wear a wig. I'm hoping to find a open weave type cap that allows for air flow, because they can be hot. I would love to be able to try a freedom type wig, but the cost is so high, and then what if you can't wear them? Because they are custom made to fit your head. I'm planning on going to the wig shop with my niece soon, to do a bit of investigating. I hope you finds a wonderful wig you love, and feel good a out.

Hi, Christine,

Thanks for your input. I did wonder if wearing a wig would make you hot. I tend to get hot very easily at the best of times (menopause, and all that!). I'm not going bald, per se, yet, but certainly my hair on the top of my head is getting very thin.

Whereabouts do you live? I should have mentioned that I live in Vancouver, BC

Regards,

Anne

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service