Hii Guys ..
first of all I'm not a sufferer of alopecia but I'd like to tell u guys that I really love U all I love ur bald heads , because simply my fiance is one of you ..
he's a sufferer of alopecia Universalis , to tell u the truth when I first saw him I didn't realize he had any problem , I thought he just has a bald head , by time I realised his problem , I searched on the internet to understand this condition ,and it was enough for me to know that this is an autoimmune condition that the immunity system attack the hair follicle and the regrowth is possible at anytime , and its a "genetic disease" .. I didn't care much abt this word "genetic" then,
now we're engaged for 8 months ,as I told u I don't see something bad with his baldness, I totally accept his appearance , however we never talked about this Issue ,he didn't tell me about the disease since we met all he've said that he lost his hair since he was 18 , I didn't ask ..and he didn't tell anything more ..
Unfortunately when I was googling the disease one more time in the last few weeks , I was shocked to read that the condition is hereditary , it was a big shock to me I totally understand and accept his suffering but I don't want our children suffer too .. I'm so sorry guys maybe I'm so rude
please guys I need to know is this true or not ?what did ur dermatologists tell u concerning this issue ? to what extent does the disease pass to children ?if so will it pass to boys or girls ? do u know real cases that the father passed the AU to his kids ? if it happens will they experience it from childhood or after then ? by the way ,he has no family history except from normal pattern alopecia of his father , ,

Views: 7898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jorge,
Thanks for posting such a thoughtful reply to this post

Talk to a doctor. Do not read webmd. The information there only scares people. My dermatologist yelled at me for doing so.

And if you have a child that develops the disease, then you talk to them about it. Do not sweep it under the rug. Keep the child, yourself, friends and family informed. People that have a high self- esteem to begin with usually deal with life's little hiccup better.

I always think of it this way ... Since I have to have a disease, I am pretty happy it is alopecia. There are some pretty nasty diseases out there.

I can't quote statistics at this time but I do know there's a genetic component. However, I have AU and no one else has it in my immediate family. However, many of my family members do have autoimmune issues. I have kids and quite honestly there are way worse things that can happen to them then they develop alopecia.

Tree, you said, "you make sure your kids are happy healthy and stress free then I'm sure there will be no issue. "

I disagree, politely. I know alopecia happens to infants and young toddlers - living happy little lives. Every time I have met a parent of a young infant or child with alopecia, they will rarely tell me there is stress occurring in their lives. If this was the case, every child taken out of a home in an abusive situation and placed in foster care or every child whose parent dies (just examples of "stress") would develop alopecia!

And what does that mean to the parent who does everything "right" and raises healthy kids - only to see them develop alopecia. I'm in my 40s and developed AU in my 30s and lived a very healthy active life with loving parents. To this day, my mother still wonders if she did something "wrong" and blames herself for my alopecia. That's sad! It's not her fault!

I think the genetic make-up of an individual is way too complex to make generalisations or point fingers at particular causes.

I agree...stress has nothing to do with it. That was what they said about Princess Stephanie,,,made quite a few people angry back then in the Alopecia Community.

Hello,

I am the only one in my family with alopecia. My parents did not have it, my 2 sisters and 3 brothers have lots of hair as well as my children aged 43 and 45.

Marie-Claire

Like all the other answers, I too am the only one in my family that has it. From what I understand, there is a hereditary component to CARRY the gene. Something (maybe an illness) has to trigger that gene in order for the hair loss to occur. So, although I'm the only bald one in my family, perhaps my mother or grandfather carried the gene as well - they just didn't have something trigger it. I apparently did. That is my understanding anyway.

I was told there is a 20% chance. I have 2 boys. They are both young still but neither has alopecia. A friend of mine with AU has 3 teenage boys and none of them have it.
I have AU and recently had children and spoke to a geneticist to see if I would pass on AU to my kids. They said no that I would have to be a carrier and my husband would have to be a carrier which is infintismally rare and then even if we were both carriers there is only a 25 percent chance. So I wouldn't worry about it.
In my case, my mom and I both have alopecia- mine being more severe. When my husband and I decided to have kids he had similar emotions as you- so you're normal there. I feel very sad at the idea that I could pass this on to my two beautiful kids. But I have tried very hard to give their immune systems a fighting chance by breastfeeding for at least a year and I also spaced out their immunizations so to not overwhelm their little bodies. I believe the gene is passed on but only activated under stress or illness. Looking back, that is what happened to me. So do your best to give your future children good nutrition and protect them from too much unneccessary stress while you can. Because you don't want to miss out on this amazing part of the journey. Being a parent is the best thing you'll ever do.

As genetics is 50/50 of each parent can you understand that any condition may not go through.Ask about the rest of his family/extended family members.
If you love this guy and want babes then personally I think there are worst issues than alo to concern a parent.
I have alo but neither of my adult children do.
I do not have eczema but the father of my boy did and sadly my son has the condition.
Personally I wish he had alo rather than eczema!
Surely such concerns you will talk out before you want babes?
Love means everything warts and all!
For warts read any health condition which is not life threatening!

my two girls at 13 and 10 years old do not have alopecia, but who knows what lies in their future as I got mine at 38 years old. Life hands us what it hands us and if you let fear over ride love the quality of your life will degrade. Your fiancé is the one you should be asking and talking to about this. If you don't feel able to ask him, then maybe there is an issue beyond alopecia that you two need to sort out. good luck to you.

Understand that this is NOT a disease.... it is a condition. secondly, it is not hereditary

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service