Hii Guys ..
first of all I'm not a sufferer of alopecia but I'd like to tell u guys that I really love U all I love ur bald heads , because simply my fiance is one of you ..
he's a sufferer of alopecia Universalis , to tell u the truth when I first saw him I didn't realize he had any problem , I thought he just has a bald head , by time I realised his problem , I searched on the internet to understand this condition ,and it was enough for me to know that this is an autoimmune condition that the immunity system attack the hair follicle and the regrowth is possible at anytime , and its a "genetic disease" .. I didn't care much abt this word "genetic" then,
now we're engaged for 8 months ,as I told u I don't see something bad with his baldness, I totally accept his appearance , however we never talked about this Issue ,he didn't tell me about the disease since we met all he've said that he lost his hair since he was 18 , I didn't ask ..and he didn't tell anything more ..
Unfortunately when I was googling the disease one more time in the last few weeks , I was shocked to read that the condition is hereditary , it was a big shock to me I totally understand and accept his suffering but I don't want our children suffer too .. I'm so sorry guys maybe I'm so rude
please guys I need to know is this true or not ?what did ur dermatologists tell u concerning this issue ? to what extent does the disease pass to children ?if so will it pass to boys or girls ? do u know real cases that the father passed the AU to his kids ? if it happens will they experience it from childhood or after then ? by the way ,he has no family history except from normal pattern alopecia of his father , ,

Views: 7898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have always been told that alopecia (like all autoimmune disorders) IS hereditary.  However, that being said, I have also learned that usually must be a "trigger" to activate it.  I did not lose my hair until college, after I had a really, really bad flu.  Nobody else in my family ever exhibited any similar symptoms so I always just thought, "well, it has to start somewhere."  Then guess what?  My 75-year old mother just today got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (another autoimmune disease I developed during my college years).  It took a serious illness for it to come out in her.  So now I feel very confident that my mother carried the gene all these years and passed it along to me -- but it remained dormant for 75 years until she had that trigger.  So, even though you may pass a gene on to your kids, there is no guarantee it will ever surface.  Hope this helps!!

I met a (Afro-Canadian?) guy here in Vancouver, I still see around often.met him on the skytrain and he was the one to open up/engage "hey what's up, you have AU as well eh?". I think i had an anxiety attack for a bit while i felt awkward,yet,peace in our glabrous comradery. This topic of genetics came up at which point he told me that afew years later after his hair fell out, his father got it,and then his sister TOO.so there's that story. and yea, dont stress it if yer kid is born already hairless, then they'll have nothing to lose or be traumatised by the sudden life changing event. I found after years of throwing pity party's in my honour, I gave myself the hardest time about it and when most people never even noticed until I pointed it out. Besides, girls love it (unless they're looking for Tom Selleck.. or Chewbacca :P in the end it made me a stronger and maybe even more sensitive of a person.
cheers'
Leif

Hi Drlli - Does it really matter? Would you love your children any the less if they developed this condition? Would my parents have had me if they'd known I'd develop Lupus and lose hair because of it? I hope they would have because I don't see myself as any more imperfect than the next person. He was not being dishonest with you to not have told you at the outset - I believe he will have just accepted his condition and got on with life. You don't exactly wear a sign round your neck saying "I have (whatever)". There are a huge number of worse things to be lumbered with in life. So - go ahead - marry the guy and have his children - lots of them and live a lovely life together.

2% chance is what my dr said. have to have a predisposition then a trigger
Ive had UA since i was 23. Now 42. This is a tough but necessary question to ask yourself and discussion to have with your fiancé. Since he has the AA it probably has crossed his mind. I just had a baby and yes I thought very hard about having children. I still worry but honestly I'm very thankful I along with my husband decided to have her. Frankly, AA is just one possibility of any number of conditions out there. It just happens to be visibly apparent and of course emotionally painful at times, but by no means physically painful. I know if I had been given a choice between rheumatoid arthritis and AA I would certainly choose AA. I hate being in pain!

Great advice!

Alopecia is something that can happen to your children whether your guy has Alopecia or not. Even if you marry someone else, you just might have a child with Alopecia.

Alopecia is a hereditary disease in the auto-immune family. I would ask your guy if he has seen a Dr. or if he has been to a support group. I met someone in a support group, that lived for 15 years not knowing what happened to him. He suffered alone for quite a few years because no one in his family even talked about it, nor even acknowledged the fact he had no hair, can you imagine that.

My son has the Alopecia, The fact that I have a son with Alopecia, makes me think that I could develop Alopecia one day myself. Fact is, we have no idea which side of the family the Alopecia came from - mine or my husbands.

In general girls are 4 times more likely to suffer from an auto-immmune disease.

I have Alopecia and have three children all who have beautiful hair. I can understand your concern, as I had it myself, but don't obsess over it. Think of it this way, if you wear glasses, you may be passing that genetic factor down to your children... would wearing glasses or having crooked teeth stop you from having children? Probably not. Having Alopecia shouldn't either. Best of luck to you both.

I am now 16 and have had alopecia since approx 11 years old, my Dad has had alopecia since 17 with total regrowth then full loss since approx 25 years old. The family has several autoimmune diseases on his side. I am lucky in that mine falls out then regrows in a kind of cycle and that mine is thick so not many notice it. I don't like it but I live with it!!

I got it from my Mom, so did 3 out of 4 of us offspring. Mom got it from her Dad, his sister had it. All 4 of my nephews have it. Only one sibling does not have it and she did not have children. Must run very strong in my family. Keep hair short for the kids, and permanents seem to help with look and fullness as it thins out. It's not the end of the world but kids are cruel, that's why I say keep the kids hair short, it's less noticeable.

Dear Hi

First let me thank you for the love sent our way from you. It made me smile when I was reading it. So now to reply to your question…I also do not believe that it is necessarily passed on. I have met very few people that have told me that there are a number of people in a family with this. No one in my family ever had that I know of? So far as I know I am the only one to date. No uncle’s, no aunt’s, and so on. So I think it basically just happens or it does not. I have met a number of children with alopecia and most of them seem more adjusted that the adults who get it later in life, especially if their parents are supportive. I met a young gal in NYC when I was there a few years back. Most every one there had alopecia and this gal was amazing, she was just about to go into her teens, she did not wear any pieces on her head and told me that she mostly wore scarves. But she was so fine with who she was she actually gave me a lot of food for thought. I met her mother as well and after meeting her I knew how extraordinary the entire family was. It was a beautiful thing. Congratulations on your engagement. Much happiness your way. Cinder…Hugs and Peace!!!!!

What will get passed on is the likelihood of developing an autoimmune disorder to his/your children. WHICH autoimmune disorder (or an autoimmune disorder at all) will depend on the child.

I developed AA at age 15 (I'm 21 now). No one else in my family has Alopecia but my maternal uncle, maternal grandmother, her father, and I had/have Vitiligo (the skin color changy thingy that Michael Jackson had really bad (no where near as bad as MJ tho).

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service