Hii Guys ..
first of all I'm not a sufferer of alopecia but I'd like to tell u guys that I really love U all I love ur bald heads , because simply my fiance is one of you ..
he's a sufferer of alopecia Universalis , to tell u the truth when I first saw him I didn't realize he had any problem , I thought he just has a bald head , by time I realised his problem , I searched on the internet to understand this condition ,and it was enough for me to know that this is an autoimmune condition that the immunity system attack the hair follicle and the regrowth is possible at anytime , and its a "genetic disease" .. I didn't care much abt this word "genetic" then,
now we're engaged for 8 months ,as I told u I don't see something bad with his baldness, I totally accept his appearance , however we never talked about this Issue ,he didn't tell me about the disease since we met all he've said that he lost his hair since he was 18 , I didn't ask ..and he didn't tell anything more ..
Unfortunately when I was googling the disease one more time in the last few weeks , I was shocked to read that the condition is hereditary , it was a big shock to me I totally understand and accept his suffering but I don't want our children suffer too .. I'm so sorry guys maybe I'm so rude
please guys I need to know is this true or not ?what did ur dermatologists tell u concerning this issue ? to what extent does the disease pass to children ?if so will it pass to boys or girls ? do u know real cases that the father passed the AU to his kids ? if it happens will they experience it from childhood or after then ? by the way ,he has no family history except from normal pattern alopecia of his father , ,

Views: 7898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi,i have a.a myself since i was 9 now im 40 and its been with me most of my life...my grandmother had it and my father got it in his 30's,luckily he just had it for a year and everything went back to normal...shortly after his went i got it...there was stress in my life even back then,but i have been told it is hereditary...i have one daughter and shes 15,unfortunatly she got it when she was 2 and the two patches cleared up,then again she got it at 5 and the patch went after a year...now last month i noticed she has two patches on her hairline at the back,this has upset me terrible as i havent told her as it could make it worse as she saw some of what i went through...but im sure if she did see a patch in the front she would be upset but i'd get her through it ...its breaks my heart that i passed this on,i thought about it so much when i was pregnant.but to be honest i understand your worries as it is a very upsetting thing to have..well for me it is....but just think to yourself if god forbid your child had it,that things could be a whole lot worse...my daughter is well and healthy so for that im grateful..a.a is not a health risk or life threathing disease to have,its a bloody nuisance but i cant let it take over my life as it did before...try not think about it too much,you have to look at it this way...if it happens it happens,then im sure if it did you would help them through it as your concerned already,its not the end of the world xx

Hi there,
I understand your fears but please know there are far worse things you can pass to your children than alopecia and there are more factors to getting AA than just having the gene.

My brother has had AA since he was 7, I also had a great aunt with AU. When I met my now husband a few years ago I knew immediately he had AU. I too love bald men! Similar to my brother, my husband has an aunt with AU. I have done a great deal of research on the likelihood of passing AA to our children. Yes, there is a definitely a chance we will pass down the genetic trait. I believe based on my husband alone there is a 12% chance our kids will have the trait. I also could pass down the trait, as it runs in my family as well. However, this does not in any way mean they will certainly develop AA/AU.

Based on my research and personal experience not everyone who inherits the trait/gene will even develop AA. There is usually a significant physical or emotional stress that triggers the AA. For all AA/AU cases in both our families, this was the case. For our families, the condition seemed to skip a generation each time. Obviously, this varies for others but is our personal experience. Also, the good news is AA is not like other autoimmune diseases with a 50/50 chance of passing to your children.

All that said, my husband and I have had candid conversations about having children knowing we could pass along the AA trait. For us, it was without question we would have children. My husband is a confident sexy man who like your fiance, leads an incredibly full and happy life. I recommend having an open conversation with your fiance. I am sure it is something he has thought about too.

An Uncle on my Dad's side had alopecia, and my Mum and Brother both have auto immune diseases (not alopecia) so from where I'm standing there at least seems to be a link.
I've moved around the country a lot, so I've had various different doctors, but they've always said pretty much the same thing. "We don't know a lot about alopecia", "Yes there is research to suggest it may be hereditary", "It could grow back within a month, but it might also never grow back." As far as I can see, they don't know a whole lot.
Why don't you book a consultation with a dermatologist to sort the facts from the myths for yourself? And even once that's done with and you find out, it's ultimately up to you and your partner whether the risks outweigh the benefits or vice versa.

Also, just a friendly heads up, but telling people who struggle with an illness that you "love all ur bald heads" just comes off insensitive and naive. Not to everyone of course, but I guarantee some of you know what I mean.

Yes, your kids could get Alopecia.  Or they could not.  But they could get something worse like cancer.  When you have kids, you just roll the dice. good luck.   

It's not good news, but it ends well! :)
I have AGA. I have other women (my aunts and my mother) in my family who also have it. I have 3 daughters and one of them (age 17) also has AGA. The others might also, but I haven't seen it yet. The good news is that it's going to be okay. It's not ideal, I know, but you will all be ok, AU or no AU.
You definitely have a valid concern-I understand that after seeing my daughter deal with her AGA, but I want to encourage you that it will be ok no matter what happens. My daughter is a beautiful, thriving high school senior who wears bonded hair and no one would ever know, in fact, no one does know! Hair loss can have tragic and devastating effects.....but only if you let it.
Best of luck!

It is possible to pass it down. From what I have read and talked to my dermatologist. It is rare to pass down alopecia (I am the first of my family whether from my mom and dad side of the family to have AU or alopecia in general). However!!! However if you have a family history of alopecia the chances are little higher. It is possible for it to skip a generation, as it can be recessive in their gene but dominant in their future kids.

Now do understand that some people who 1 autoimmune disorder can have more than 1.
Generally those with alopecia may or may not have another autoimmune disorder like a thyroid disorder or vitiligo. My dermatologist says sometimes those 3 are "typically" found together (which is what I have unfortunately). My sister and dad only have a thyroid disorder, whereas my brother has no autoimmune disorder.

Main point is that autoimmune disorders in general can be passed down genetically. Your kids may or may not show signs of it, but the next generation might. One kid may have it, the other kid might not. Only time will tell. I had AU when I was 8 yrs old. No family history of it whatsoever.

Our family has a strong gene or as my Microbiologist Sister says, "a marker on our genes" that has given us an autoimmune disease resulting in Alopecia.  My Mother, her sister, their father and several of my Great Aunts and Uncles had it.  All four of my Nephews have it, one of 2 of my great nieces / nephews have it.  There are 4 of us siblings and 3 of 4 of us have it....and there are numerous skin conditions too.

My new dermatologist has said that it can be hereditary but others have said no.  Not sure what our family has but its a very dominate gene. 

I AU and I know all of my mothers family and fathers family they have 5 and 7 siblings respectively. No one else has had this problem or anything similar. I wish the people posting on here would be a little more considerate with their posts. Leave the probably's out of this and stick to facts and post the source of the facts when you are stating them. 

I have alopecia and have since I was about 5. My husband and I have 3 beautiful children and they have hair.  I view it just like needing glasses.  Yes, it could happen, but it is not the end of the world if it does. Don't stress about whether or not your children may have alopecia.   You may find that you cannot have children for un-related alopecia reasons.  Have faith and think positively.     

I've had AU since my mid teens.  Wife has full head of hair. Kids are almost 12 and almost 9, and neither has any sign of alopecia.  One boy and one girl.  Both have full heads of blond hair.  My wife has dark hair.  I had blond hair when I lost it all in my mid teens. 

Thank you so much for sharing your good story here. lol

It seems like most people have no family relation that they know directly of, myself included. I'd say you're pretty dang safe. I once heard that it's hereditary, but through indirect/sleeping genes. This means that my sister or cousin has a higher chance of having a child with alopecia than I do. But I have no idea if that's true.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service