Fall is in the air which means winter is soon to follow. I've been visiting the local used book stores and stopping at neighborhood garage sales to stock up on reading material. Almost nothing takes the chill out of a cold winter's night better than sitting by the wood stove with a cup of cocoa (or coffee) and a good book.

I've picked up a few books on gardening, a few more on 'how to', and some classics including a well worn copy of Thoreau's 'Walden'. Looks like we might be in for a long, cold winter so I'll need at least a few more to tide me over. Read anything good lately???

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

I just bought Duma Key by Stephen King. Into chapter two and so far so good. Hopefully I'll get through all his books one day.
I wish...still too many chores to be done before the weather sets in...including splitting wood...but it has been tempting.
i read everything with words. i just read where the red fern grows again. i read it at least once every couple of years. also mists of avalon i read that one every couple of years too. i go to the library and close my eyes and just grab books. i try to not "judge a book by its cover" hee hee hee..
My DD loves the book "Where the Red Ferns Grow". We have the movie (the newer version)...or should I say she has the movie in her 'private' collection. Might have to 'borrow' her book to read over the winter.
Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors. I read "Black Coffee" featuring Mrs Christie's famous Belgian detective Hercule Piorot over the summer. An incredible read if you like mysteries.

I just finished "Mom's Marijuana" by Dan Shapiro. It's not anything like the title. The story is about a young man battle against Hodgkins and how his family deals with his illness. Some parts were a bit dry but it was a good read all in all.
Maybe I should have started another thread...anywho, here's a couple of links to e-books for anyone interested:

http://www.scribd.com/
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
I just picked up a couple more books -- as if I don't have enough!

Como agua para chocolate (Like Water for Chocolate) by Laura Esquivel (yes, I do read in Spanish too!)
La ley de amor (The Law of Love) by Laura Esquivel
Tan veloz como deseo (Swift as Desire) by Laura Esquivel
Malinche by Laura Esquivel

Laura Esquivel is my favorite Mexican author, and her books are all printed in both Spanish and English, and since this month is Hispanic Heritage Month, you know I'm all things Latina!!!

Viva la raza!!
I stopped by the library last night and borrowed a copy of 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand. Just starting chapter 2. Not much of interest in the story line yet. Thankfully, Ayn Rand has a way of turning the written word into a canvas by which one feels as if they are right there with the character. Of course, kitty wanted in so she snuggled up on my chest while I read. The novel is over 1,000 pages...between the purring of the cat and the warmth of the wood stove, I'm suprised I read as much as I did.
Earlier in the fall I read Kelly Armstrongs, No humans involved, Exit strategy, and Haunted. Then the beginning of Coven House Book of Shadows, and Outlander. For yule I was given "The wicked witch of the west" and The Summoning also by Kelly Armstrong. Many of these, I read on my Sony Ebook, and up until recently would have recommended reading books this way, until I learned even tho I buy them for almost the same price, the file is encrypted and cannot be passed like a paperback, so I'm no longer going to be buying them online. Also, if anyone is looking to buy an ebook, check out Asus, they have a baby computer, for same price, and you can surf the net, and read books. A much better buy! --<-@

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service