well i think the title says most of it, when i was in school there was a girl in my year who had lost all her hair including eyebrows, eyelashes etc, i completeley admired her courage and just never thought it would ever happen to me, i have never been the most secure person because of my childhood and this is just gutting, i have just got a new job and me and my boyfriend were thinking about getting our own place together, i went to have my hair done at the hairdressers and my hairdresser discovered a small patch about the size of a 2p peice, now 3 months on is nearly the size of the one side of my head and becoming very difficult to cover up, my doctor said its caused by stress and im trying my hardest now to chill out and forget about it but when its fallin out in lumps its pretty hard to, was quite funnay actually i got back from the doctors sat down with my cuppa and put on the 6oclock news and saw this website, well anythings worth a try...so thanks for reading what i have to say

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

hi katie and welcome. 1st let me tell you that it is totally devastating and you will have to learn to cope with this. you may or may not lose all of your hair. no one really knows at the onset. just read stories on the site and look at the different discussions and when you want to vent we are all here for you. when they told me not to stress as i had to shave my head i wanted to shot them and scream THIS MAKES ME STRESS MORE YOU MORONS!!!!!! but here is the place to do that. we all react pretty much the same. let me know if you need to vent!
jenn
Katie,
I too am 18 and am in the same boat. I noticed clumps falling out of my head and I chalked it up to stress. My aunt totally wigged out and dragged me to the doctor where I was informed I had alopecia areata that seemed to quickly be progressing into alopecia totalis. I too got the "try to calm down and don't stress or it will make it worse speech" and my reaction was the same as Jenn.
I wish you all the best of luck!
Keep your chin up!
Your balding friend, Val
Hi, Katie and welcome. My spot started small also. For me, one of the hardest things is not knowing when or if this disease will take all of my hair. I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia and some other kind that the doctors aren't even sure of the name. Seems as though more and more people (men and women) are being diagnosed with alopecia so we definitely have LOTS of company!

Have you checked out the 'young folks' group? This is a very warm, supportive site. You'll find lots of support here.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service