Ok, so this is likely a little bit premature since it's not even been a week since I learned I have alopecia. I haven't even seen a dermatologist yet but my initial instinct is to embrace this and not bother with cortisone treatments and expensive scalp/hair treatments.

I've always been the type who loves change and challenges and, strange though it may be, i'm kind of intrigued by the possibility of going bald. From what I've read, only a very small percentage of us actually "go all the way" and lose all our hair, or get to the point where we have so little that it needs to be shaved. Still, it's kind of exhilarating to think of being so unique among friends, family, and coworkers.

Don't get me wrong, my hair has been my pride and joy for my entire life and I loved it. But I loved it the way it was. I don't love it with bald spots and this strange new texture it's taken on. So with all the failed treatments, pain, and sore, red skin I've been reading about as a result of treatments, I hesitate to even entertain the thought of any process.

Have any of you who are new to this got feelings either way about treatment? Do any of you who have dealt with this over time got some insights? Is treatment simply something the medical community does to try to make us feel proactive? Is it futile against a condition that is going to take it's own course no matter what we do?

Views: 215

Replies to This Discussion

Hi jj, you make some interesting points. When I first lost my hair I tried Rogaine. I used it a couple of months, but couldn't help feeling that I may be doing more damage to my body than good. I kept reading side effect and other things and eventually I just had to stop. I never had any response to treatment and to be honest I don't know of many who have. From these profiles you can see that many of us have had alopecia for a long time. Since there is no actual cure for alopecia, a lot of times when these treatments are stopped the hair falls out. So my advice to you would be, if you are at peace with the possible outcome of being bald, then let alopecia take it course. I guess at this point in my life I feel, if my hair grows back naturally fine. If not then this is how I was meant to live in this world for now and perhaps there is a bigger reason than I can understand of why this has to be… like for me it may be Alopecia World ;)
Cheryl ... exactly!!!
I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, although nothing ever makes sense when it happens! lol
As for you, I certainly hope you embrace your 'shine' ... you're absolutely gorgeous and glowing in your pics!
I'm amazed and inspired by all of the women on this site who are beautiful and retain every bit of their femininity, if not exuding even more than "pre-alo-p".
Hi JJ,

Well lets see. I have what is called the Ophiasis pattern wich is not very treatable at least that is what I've read and was told by the doctor. I started the injections and foam shampoos etc. I have had total regrowth after losing 50% of my hair. However I have devolped new spots and have been told by other once treatment is stopped my hair with most likely fall out again. So it's just what your willing to go through to get hair back. i'm at the point that all the injections are not worth it.
Thanks all for your responses. Although I must wait until November to meet with a dermatologist, and will likely go through many more ways of approaching all of this, for now, I've decided that what happens happens for a reason and I'm good with that.

Thanks again!

jj
JJ, I think you have a very healthy attitude about this and I had similar feelings once I realized that my hair loss was most likely permanent. Even when I had hair I didn't like to fuss with it much. I preferred to just wash it & blow dry it out. Once my hair started thinning, a hairstylist convinced me to perm it to "camoflage" the thin areas, so I did that for a number of years with less success as time went by. Now that I've come to accept my lack of hair, I'm enjoying not having to waste a lot of energy fussing over my hair only to be disappointed in the results. I found myself thinking that I should have started wearing a wig much sooner and I would have saved myself a lot of trouble.
Hi JJ,
I tryed all of the treatments in the past, and stopped because they really didn't make much of a difference for me. The injections in the head hurt like hell and caused my face to break out. But I find taking Folic Acid, zinc, and Vit. B complex suppliments work really well. These supp. don't stop the spots from coming, but makes the spots smaller.
Well, I really glad that you are able to face this head on.I don't know how far your hair has progressed but I remember saying the same thing. Until I woke up one day to several huge bald spots. When it was at the point of just thinning,I even shave it and wore it that way proudly. Until, even that progressively got worse. I went to Doctors about hair transplants, tried lotions,creams. But now I have hair only on the sides like George Jefferson's. It's hard to exhilarated let alone attractive when falling apart spot by spot on a daily basis. Maybe I'm the only one feeling this way.I just saying how I feel,I don't mean to bring anyone down.
I feel exactly the same way. I was diagnosed with alopecia areata (is this what you guys refer to as AA?) about 5 years ago but just had small spots that grew back after injections. Now, suddenly, I've got bare patches all over that grow larger every day. I'm 62 years old and can't stop crying. I'm terrified of being bald. I think you all are handling this much better than I. I'm going for shots and using minoxidil 2% (dr said 5% would cause facial hair growth) but nothing seems to do anything this time.
My next appointment is in about 2 weeks. I think I'll try the shots. Deep down inside, there's a voice telling me that what will be, will be but I have to at least try. Maybe it's denial. I just don't know any more. I wish I knew someone who had the shots, to see if they work. But I have to at least try.
jj, i am so very impressed with your attitude and am jealous that i can't think more like you. i am new to this and have been in a deep depression and when i went to the dermatologist i opted for the injections. they actually weren't that pain but more uncomfortable. i told the doc "what ever it takes we will do" i have an app in the morning and i am not sure if i will do it again because i am noticing that more hair is falling out. i have shaved my head because so much of it went. i will see how it goes tomorrow.
Hi JJ,
You are new to be DX and it might take you some time to think about options, and you might try different things. What ever you dicide do it by educating yourself like your already doing. Everyone is different on the the path with Alopecia. As for myself I learned of it about one year ago. I had shots for six months and they hurt all the time. Not only with the shot itself but it gave me headaches, felt weird most of the time. I just decided I would take my vitamins and from what I have been reading the Hair, Nails, and Skin ones are helpful. So I will try that. But really other then that I feel like if my hair grows back its fine but I know that I'll lose it again as so many people have. So I guess right now I am thankful that I have my eyebrows and eyelashes. If they go then I look into tatooed eyebrows and eyeliner. I hope you listen to your heart it needs to be you to decide what is best for you.

Eileen
HI Marie, I am agreeing with the lack of talent in hairstyling theory ;).

On a serious note. I guess it is totally up to the challenges an alopecian is willing/able to take. My feeling when I first lost my hair were probably not that much different from most. The thing for me is that I HATED wearing the wigs and I HAD to find another way. Eventually I stopped thinking of myself with hair and my vision of myself is now how I am. Somewhere along the line I accepted the new me.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service