Recently, Lori posted a comment about stress-related alopecia. I think this may be a good topic, I'm sure most of us, if not all of us have heard that their child's alopecia is triggered by stress, what do all of you think?

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

When my daughter was first diagnosed with Alopecia, her pediatrician said it was caused by stress. He blamed maybe our parenting, because we are really young. I have read about many things, and stress has come up. I don't think that my daughter's alopecia was emotional-stress related. Nothing had significantly changed, and she has an identical twin that is treated the same! I do, however think that maybe alopecia is brought on by body stresses.

My twins were born at only 29 weeks gestation. They were in the hospital for four months. Della had always been the sicker one. She was on the vent for 2 weeks, while angel was taken off later that night. Both of them came home with oxygen, and Angel came home with a feeding tube. The day Della's home nurse took her off the oxygen for good, she stopped breathing and was put back into the hospital for a week. She was having issues with the remaining blood in her head, which she has recovered completely from. Della also has had asthma really bad. She also has Aortic Stenosis and will require a heart surgery in the future. She has had excema, and her ears, when we got them pierced had gotten infected pretty bad. All of which Angel has grown-up without. I think that Della's health has had a big toll on her body. Maybe she just continued to attack everything, and now her hair is being attacked. All I know is she is healthy now.

I also know that Janine's little one has dealt with a bunch of allergies. I'm sure that has taken a big toll on her little body as well.

I do think that stress has a lot to do with it, but I don't think that it has everything to do with it. Look at the children that get abused, neglected, and molested. If stress had something to do with it, don't you think that more of those children would be alopecia patients as well? What are your thoughts?
Well you know I brought up this topic because I have been told by a couple docs and derms that hairloss caused by stress is not true. Has anyone heard otherwise from a professional... and if so, then how do we know what is truth? -Lori
What I understand is that sometimes any type of "stressful event" can cause an onset of alopecia. You already have to be pre-disposed (have the gene in your body) kind of like lupus or other auto-immune problems. The stressful event can be an illness, actual stress or anxiety, almost anything that stresses out your body can be a trigger. Also, it can be just random. For my daughter it seemed fairly obvious that she suddenly started getting panic attacks and anxiety her hair started to fall out. A short time later it started to grow back, but then she was in a situation that caused a panic attack and it all fell out. She conquered the panic attacks and rarely has anxiety (only in very specific situations). She worked with a congnitive therapist. We don't know what brought on the anxiety but she is 12, maybe it's hormones. The AA started last May and the AU started in September so hopefully it goes away. I know it's random and we just don't know. The strange thing is, as long as she has wigs, the AU really doesn't bother her. Her anxiety only happens in croweded, confused unfamiliar situations and has nothing to do with hair. Does anyone else have a story were the trigger seems to be obvious? In Katya's case anxiety seemed to be the trigger, but you never know, I could be wrong.
OH MY GOSH, you brought back memories of my daughter. We hadn't taken her to a hair salon since she first got her alopecia and when we finally did they refused her because they thought it was contagious. It was horrible.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service