Well, my daughter was seen on tuesday because she gets exzcema on her forearms, behind her knees, and under her neck during the summertime. At this appointment her primary physician saw her for the first time in about a year. She is usually seen by his partner, which I actually like better anyways. Well, I think he realized how her alopecia has progressed and started asking about her personality. I said well, she's shy, has outburst when she gets into trouble, usually takes awhile to warm up to people, etc. I said there is a difference between her identical twin sister and that she is the less out going one. Well, he started bringing up the fact that sometimes this is stress related. He then brought up the idea that maybe we could start her on SSRI's or antideprressant/anxiety meds. I immediately declined saying that she is very loved, and has a wonderful life, etc. Well, her doctor said that he believes it, just that some people are born with less seratonin in their body. He thinks that with an SSRI her seratonin will improve and she will feel less stressed. I don't know what to do because I don't want to medicate my daughter, but maybe she really is struggling? I don't know. Has anyone tried this? He says sometimes the results are phenomenal.

Views: 18

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds sketchy to me because I personally believe that children do not get stressed out like adults do because they aren't mature enough to understand "things". You have to do what you feel is right for your child and follow your heart and your gut. I personally don't believe prescribing a antidepressant would do anything. Haven't tried it though, but wouldn't be willing to do so with my own children. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has tried this. BTW-you're daughter is darling.
It would be interesting to see if there is a connection. My daughter is more cautious, reserved and slow to warm up as well. She tends to stress more about things than her sister. Of course the stress isn't prolonged ( like a couple minutes tops) since there are no big issues going on ( like a divorce, change in school, etc.) I don't think that it would lead to this since there are lots of "shy" people who don't lose their hair. I would be interested to know the personalities of those individuals diagnosed with alopecia. Did the doctor say the results are phenomenal in terms of regaining hair loss or about being shy? If he is a regular pediatrician and not a dermatologist than I would wonder how many kids with alopecia he has treated? What are the exact numbers and results of those he treated with these medications. If he meant improving being "shy"- then I guess I would wonder why he sees this as a problem. We all have different personalities and being more introverted or quiet is not in an of itself problem. I would talk to your regular doctor, a pediatric dermatologist and maybe even a child psychologist to find out more. I would be very cautious about any suggestion for antidepressants for such a young age, especially if it is for her personality. What I mean is, typically these meds are for people who either have a mood disorder or have situational/ severe depression brought on by something very stressful in their lives. It generally isn't recommended for a daily living type of thing so you will be more cheery. If she did have her hair would he be recommending this treatment? If it is her stress that is worrisome perhaps working with coping mechanisms, role playing ,positive feedback and self talk, etc. would be more helpful ( and definitely less harmful). I would talk to a therapist or counselor who works with children ( note- I did not say a psychiatrist as most just prescribe meds). If you do decide to go this route - behavioral methods should still be explored so as she learns ways to deal with stressful situations rather than just become dependent on medications to do this. Before anything you might try talking to one of the doctors with the National Alopecia Areata Registry. Actually, since you have identical twins your daughter can really help them study this condition as they search for the answers we all want. They desperately need twins, identical being the best to help with their study of alopecia. It only requires your time for the questionnaire and a blood sample ( I think this can even be mailed if you don't live near a site). Please consider contacting them if you haven't already. They have a website. Let us know what route you decide and how it progresses.
Hi, I have to say you have wonderful input. I think we are going to put it on hold for now. But, I do think she is a lot different than her sister. She gets really emotional about things, but like you said about your baby, just for a little while. Like today for example. We were walking out of an office and we were on the side walk. I had my baby in her car seat carrier, and so I only had one hand. Her twin sister came up to me and grabbed my hand before we got in the street and Della actually started crying and stopped on the side walk instead of continuing and holding her sister's hand like we normally do. This usually doesn't happen. Well, i had to raise my voice at her to even keep coming so we could get into the car. She is starting to have out breaks like this a few times a day. She especially gets mad when she is sent into the corner. That is the punishment we give for extreme things like hitting or something. Well, every time she is put in the corner she starts crying so loud and puts herself into a panic attack. Our neighbors could probably hear her and if they didn't know us would probably think we were abusing her. Even after she stops crying and is calming down she kind of yelps for 15 or so more minutes. I think this really could be an issue because her sister doesn't do any of this.

Well, our doctor explained to us about SSRI's. He says there are many types and that not all of them are used for depression. Some are for Post Traumatic Stress, or Anxiety issues. he explained that some people are born with a lower seratonin level and this increases it. he said that he has prescribed this for some of his alopecia kids (he has been a pediatrician for something like 40-50 years and is about to retire) and it has helped to even get his patients to have a complete full head of hair with no relapse. But you have to realize that he only sees patients until they are 18. I don't know what the underlying factor for her alopecia is.

We are going to be flying from new mexico to phoenix, Arizona to have her be seen by a very well accredited pediatric dermatologist. We have maxed out on the treatments they offer for her here. Cindy, another mom here told me about the treatment we are going to be getting for della. It's called Squaric Acid Dibutylester. I have been writing down a bunch of questions for this doctor and getting her on SSRI's is definitely going to be touched as well.

We haven't done any research group stuff yet. I know we should, i just don't know what is holding me back. Maybe we will look into it now. But thank you again for your comment. I am definitely approaching this cautiously. If we do start her on the SSRI's I'll keep you posted!
I hadn't heard of this as being a treatment before. I will ask our doctor at the next appointment just to see what she has heard. How do they measure the seratonin levels in people? If it is not invasive maybe they could test both of your girls to see if they are different and help you decide if indeed you want to explore the medication route any further. Since you have identical twins your daughters blood may really hold some answers. Please contact the registry! ( just a suggestion- no real pressure). I don't know much about the other method ( acid) either. Let us know what your doctors says.
I actually signed up and did the short answer survey the second i was done replying to you. They contacted me the next day with more questions! It said on the site it takes up to 4 months, but maybe identical twins really do hold the answers? We'll see what happens next!I don't know if we will be able to travel out to any facility. but maybe if we get chosen to progress we can mail everything out there.
Thank you for contributing to helping find the answers! I think it will definitely help us all. What a great role model you are for your girls!.
-Hi I have a son with alopecia. I wanted to respond to the medication issue. I think you want to have a full evaluation by a psychologist , who will in turn refer you to a psychiatrist for any type of meds. From what you are telling me, I don' t know if the issues are even that big right now.It could have a lot to do with maturity, or a response to other things going on in her life. I am speaking from experience- my son is on some medicine right now, after much testing, and various work ups, and research. It is not something that you just prescribe without a diagnosis! However- I feel a mom knows best- I knew for years that something was out of sync with his behavior- before anyone else noticed.On a different note. My son had exzcema when he was younger- believe it or not, the old fashioned oatmeal(aveeno) bath worked better then any prescription creams, or holistic oils. He soaked with 2 packets of the oatmeal, a few times a week! --S.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service