Hello Fellow Alopecians!  There is so much info on ordering wigs, however not as much information about the condition of these wigs a few months or a year after they're ordered.  I've had cheap indian remy wigs last me two to three years, and some more expensive European hair wigs last less than a year.  I'm so curious to know how others' wigs are holding up at the one year mark ... would love to see photos and review of one year old wigs!  And please share name of manufacturer, where you ordered, and approx. price point. 

Views: 16389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely!  I love hearing feedback from everyone on this site, and rely on it heavily when making my purchase decisions.  So thank you for sharing!

I'm a brunette with dark brown hair, so finding the right colour is not so much an issue.  Finding the right cap (that's comfortable, not itchy, and stays on without glue or tape) and finding quality hair that lasts at least a year is what I'm after.  The hair quality in the Gemtress European is great, much better than Gemtress's other products. I'm on my second one.  The only issue is that it is processed ... so the hair quality really starts deteriorating at the one year mark (though cap is still good at that point).  

So please do share photos, stories, etc ... anything helps.  I'll look into the HOEH silicon cap as well.  Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Andrea & all,

It turns out that HOEH had the Susan S in my color (24) in their salon, although they had first said it wasn't available in the warehouse. Long story short, I received it today. They sent it with the understanding that the Susan style was probably not for me, but I could see & try on the cap, & then go from there. The cap is GREAT!! It has a hand tied silk top (very soft & light wight). It also has very tight closed wefting in the back with thin silicon strips throughout the back on the closed stretched cap. There is a wider silicon strip in front and also across the nape. It is very similar to the Follea Gripper. The silicon on the HOEH appears lighter weight and not quite as thick. I didn't want to have it on for too long,mas this was a "trial" but it seemed to have plenty of "grip", without the need for glue or tape!! I can't believe that this cap (& the quality of the truly virgin European hair), is not terribly known or popular, but they are a smaller company, &'don't advertise much at all.
"Susan" is gorgeous,but just not for me. It's very long,thick,kinda high density. I'm very petite,mso have to be careful not to look overwhelmed by too much hair. So, I decided to return "Susan S" and order Reba with the silicon cap. This is now a custom order, so not returnable. But,since I have the Reba with it's standard cap,(lace front, hand tied,stretch cap) I know the style/hair is great & now that I've had the opportunity to see the silicon cap, I am very optimistic and excited about the new piece I've ordered!!! The extra cost for the silicon cap is only $200, and I got Reba discounted by 40%. (About $1700 - $1800 - sorry I didn't do the math).
My only regret is that I didn't snap a pic of HOEH's silicon cap to share with you all. I was in such a hurry to get it returned so they could begin my custom order, that it really just slipped my mind. But, I do promise I will post a pic when I get my custom Reba with this great cap.
Update to my dispute with Follea:
I documented the tangling,dryness,splitting problem that I started having after only 6 days of wear with the replacement piece. It looked like it was heading towards the same damage that occurred with my first Follea after 6 weeks. They agreed to a return with a full refund. I would encourage others who have spent a lot of money (ridiculously high prices) on Follea pieces that they are not satisfied with them, and can show damage after short period of use, to pursue it directly with the Corporate office.
If I had the time, I would investigate this company further. Someone needs to look into their claims, their rate of complaints, &'returns requested. They claim to have a very low return rate, but they make a lot of claims about their hair too......I found out the hard way about their false claims.

Wow this is great information, thank you so much for sharing!  I would love to see photos of the cap if possible, and if you feel comfortable then the hairline as well.  Price sounds very reasonable too ... so very interested!

WOW! Have not read all of this thread, but am very happy to see Follea put on the carpet. I work on wigs and pieces for clients whether they buy from me or not, and have bees sadly disappointed by the Follea line.Have had clients spend big money and bring the piece to me to color/cut and it tangles relentlessly even before I wash it. 

It is so sad to see people that have been in this business forever, deceive people that really need help. Hopefully disclosures like this will help to up the standards of manufacturers that make false claims for their products. 

What Andrea said! very good to know. thanks AMF23.

Hi Andrea! I just started to use some lace wigs, and I have few information about how to treat with wigs, how to take care fo them, can you just give me some suggestions. Sorry that I have no images now...

Treat it like normal, processed dry hair. Spray a good leave-in conditioner on before combing out. Detangle once a day using a wide tooth comb from bottom to top. For my lace hair system I order ELC Pure Olove moisturizing shampoo and condioner from Beauty Care Choices.com and use a good moisturizing Loreal hair masque. Also, sleep on satin pillow cases and sheets to avoid tangles and breakage. I order from HairDirect.com.

I have a Raquel Heat resistant synthetic scene stealer wig purchased from a salon.  Purchased it in June of this year and it is now getting to the point of either cutting 2-3 inches off of it or replacing it (which I have ordered a Jon Renau just recently).   The smart lace front on the Raquel is stretched and doesn't lay as flat on my forehead as it did before and it has lost a lot of hair.  Also some of the hair strands have turned white and the wig is hazelnut color.  I do wear it daily and work in a factory with lots of starchy dust.  Thought it would have lasted longer but was told 5 months is good for a wig of that length.

I have not worn a wig in 15 years but check out the wigs made/endorsed by black female celebrities ie sherri sheppard, Dianne carroll etc  I don't know if u know this but a black female 90% of the time is one tough customer!

If you are looking for synthetic wigs, the cheapest sight for name brand wigs is called Name Brand Wigs 1 866 597 9447 They sell all major brands for less than any one, all the time. If you want human hair, I don't know as they cost a lot, require a lot of maintenance etc. I have accepted the synthetics and have several which I rotate. Lots of people use a combination of human and synthetics but I don't have the money or the physical ability to take care of human hair or abilitiy to go to a salon for regular maintenance..  laurenseav

I wear natural hair and synthetic wigs.  The synthetic wigs actually last longer than natural. 

I change my wig maybe every 3 to 6 months usually cause I want a new style or it has become frayed.  I wash them of course quite a bit during that time.

Once I'm done with a wig, I pitch it unless I'm using it for running errands or unless I absolutely love the style (even if it is frayed a bit).

Natural wigs lose their style after you wash them, though I have rarely been able to get one to bounce back maybe 2x max after washing and re-styling it.

Think about it, women get their hair styled at the salon for $50 - $200 or more for one style, then have to do it again after a couple of weeks or so.  Knowing that, I feel that I always get my money's worth for my wigs not matter if synthetic or human hair.  I have been wearing wigs for about 13 years (wow just realized that). :)

YES! I am so happy to read this... everyone thinks that buying H.H. wigs will prevent them from looking false, will keep the hair nicer, will look natural, and your post tells the real truth!

Cheap wigs are cheap wigs, no matter if it is human hair or synthetic. There are great options today for synthetic wigs that are way cheaper than any human hair wig, they look great, last well if taken care of, and do not require the constant upkeep of human hair...

You are my new hero!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service