I had quite a bit of free time this morning and spent a good while reading blogs right here in the Big AW. So many of us seem to be having a really tough time with appearence.

So I go to have lunch with my husband Leo and his mother at the facility where she lives.
I get to thinking about alopecia and it really isnt that big of a deal compared to what some of these people are living with.
Some were old some and some were young. Some could hear and others couldn't. Some were crippled and others not. Everyone seemed pretty happy and lunch was good.

They have a Happy Hour on Friday. I plan on making an appearence and letting my hair down.

Jeff

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kat,

I'm sorry your neice has been diagnosed with Lupus. It can be a devasting disease.
I pray she will be allright and make it through this.

Missing you and sending love and prayers.

Your Friend,
Jeff
Yes, I need a happy hour too!! Wish I lived closer to you guys!!!
Hi Zoey,

Check out Boggies post on the wine tour.
I think I am off that weekend.

jeff
Hi Gang,

Leo and I went to his Mom's today for an early Thanksgiving.
The Dining room manager went crazy over my bald head. he was all over it saying how much he loved it.
Well this guy had quite the pompadoo of hair up until a month ago and is now as bald as a billiard ball. he told me he lost a bet but now loves his bald head.
Anyway, we had a great meal and a lot of laughter. It was a Happy Hour at it's best!!!
The reason I posted this here was again all these people at the Facility are living with dissabilities of some sort or another or many.

Moral of the story, Be Thankful for what you do have.

Cheers,
Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Thanksgiving Day was truly a day to be thankful for me -- it's the first holiday that Todd and I have spent together in 5 years (the last one being the Christmas immediately before he went to Iraq the first time in 2003.) For the first time in a long time, I woke up truly happy to be here just as I am -- bald patches and all. I sit and I write this thinking of all the things that could certainly be worse in my life, and smile and say thank you just the same.

Todd and I went to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving dinner, and I met his godfather for the first time too. I've noticed that whenever Todd introduces me to someone new in his family, he takes the initiative and proactively tells them about my AA and always, ALWAYS makes the point "She may have alopecia and not have a lot of hair but she's beautiful still the same!" If I'm not thankful for anything else, I'm thankful for having a boyfriend (soon-to-be husband) that dares the world to accept me as I am, just as he has accepted me as I am, not as he wants me to be.

There's this gospel song playing in my head called "Be Grateful" -- and part of the chorus goes "Be grateful, because there's someone out there who wishes they could be in your shoes." Truer words have never been spoken.

Hope everyone is enjoying Rivalry Saturday!!!
looks are not every thing who u are is what makes u beautiful i care for the ederly and its come n up to that sad time of year for most of them all alone at xmas some dont even know its xmas their children never visit most of the people i visit are a true inspiration cope n with pain illness age loneliness isolation and yet the majority of people are quite happpy and mke the best of what they have got i have known some of my clients to be walking around with broken hips because they think it will get better and they dont want to go to hospital they soldier on through terrible pain untill they have to give in and people with ternimal illness who struggle on and alway ready for a laugh and a joke and i think what have i got to moan about
I agree Jeffrey, on a scal of 1-10 with 10 being the end of life as I know it, aa seems just a blimp. Takes having a look at others lives to realise we have it pretty good, considering everything. I count myself very lucky.
Hear Hear!!!
Every person on the earth bald...now that's a thought! :)
I agree that compared to other problems alopecia is not so bad "phisically". BUT the real problem is that we cannot deny that socally this is a BIG problem. And indeed it is! The fact is that even if we develop a better self control in the situations where people would become crazy even if they are bs, alopecia is hardly passable as nothing to think about cause it really depends on the different situations we could not plan before they happens.
So one day I can be extremeley self controlled and the day after it could happens something awful or humiliating that could destroy your self esteem.
I really think that an alopecian can live a better social life in a small town where people knows you and they're not "shocked" by meeting you everyday. But also living in a small town has got his problems too...

The ONLY solution to all this in my opinion is this: you need TIME to accept this but it's more important not only to accept, but to concentrate in all the things that build our character and our self esteem. It's more important to have our own unique and fascinating character. Something people appreciate more that staring at your head. When you will arrive to this result people that knows often appreciate also the fact that you get to live with this problem and it seems (it seems..) it doesn't bother you. People that clearly knows and understand that if this would happens to them, they wouldn't do how to live with. And this fact attract them in a way that sometimes you think they someway "NEED YOU".
I don't think anyone can put themselves in our situation if they haven't experienced it. Most people I know tend to minimise its effect on me, as if it weren't much of a problem. I've given up talking to people about it as they havn't a clue how it has affected me over the years. Even with my own family it's rarely if ever mentioned. My husband is the only one who will talk about it with me and listen if I have something to say about it. Yes it still bothers me I'm bald but it doesn't terrify me like it once did. I'm very happy to wear wigs whereas once they irritated me beyond belief. I agree that TIME is needed to come to an acceptance, and also forums such as AW that allow us to talk openly about our feelings on our aa. It's made all the difference to me.
As the saying goes, Time heals all wounds....

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service