hi everyone
I am thirteen (almost fourteen) years old and I was diagnosed with Alopecia when I was 11. I've been wanting to talk with some people my age or around my age about how they deal with it at high school and things like that. So, I'd be very pleased to hear from all of you!

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi! I'm 13 too! I havent lost all my hair I just have patches but I wear my hair down so no one can see them. I havent told anyone at school except for my teachers and best friends because I'm afriad of what they might say. Have you had any trouble with that? Right now I go to a counciler(i dont know how to speell that) and it seems to help with the stress level. Please feel free to message me anytime you want if you need anything at all. I'm here for ya =]
hi caroline! It's good that you trust your friends with it. I've lost all of my hair so I wear a wig so most people can't tell,. I've told my friends and my teachers too but no one else. Does the councilor help at all because I've thought about going to one but I haven't actually yet. The only trouble I've had so far is these two girls who somehow found out and they asked me if I was wearing a wig and they started trying to pull it off. but besides that, I think I've been fine. How about you?
Hi
My name is claire and im not a teenager anymore (im 32) but my hair fell out when i was moving up to secondry school so i was 11/12 and never really grew back, from what i remember I had a few silly comments mainly from silly boys wiggy, baldy etc but i was always quite a witty person and either said something funnier back or just ignored the comment and you know they got bored, it helped there was a guy in the 5th year at my high/secondry school who had alopecia and he was quite a cool tough guy so he kind of looked after me, I have worn wigs throughout my years with this and most people who know me know i have a wig,
Ive never had a problem getting a boyfriend and to tell you the truth they have always been nice looking and a bit of a catch.
So all in all i was lucky.
Just try not to let comments from stupid ignorent people get to you because you will get them but rise above it and ignore them most bullies want a reaction from there victim thats why they do it whether it be for you to cry and get upset or whether you fight back, DONT GIVE THEM THE SATISFACTION!!!!! and just ignore them, if this doesnt work tell an adult, teacher/parent/older sibling and then they should take the pressure off you by sorting the little s**ts out lol.
Any body wants to ask me anything or just want to talk feel free I want to help people with this condition. I have grown into a happy confidant woman mainly because i talked to friends and family about my alopecia and didnt hold back xxx,
Hello Heather...

I am also not a teenager any longer... I am old... 41. I developed at at age 5. So, I grew up with it. Having been through it all... I will offer you two pieces of advice that I wish someone had offered to me:
- There are going to be days when things will sorta suck. But remember, everyone has days that sorta suck. Don't let other kids your age make your days suck. Don't give them that power over you. Why should someone that you don't even know or care about make you feel a certain way?
- Talk to people. Your parents. Your friends. Family members. People that are close to you. Others with aa. When you had a day that sorta sucked.. talk to someone.
Hi Heather im Natalie age 15 im in highschool ( i actually just got exspelled) so was, i wear a hat and bandana to hide mine if you ever want to talk just message me
Hi Heather,

I was 4 years old when my hair first started falling out, and I was totally bald throughout school. In my experience, I was teased and bullied and picked on quite a bit. My sister used to take up for me when we were in school together, but when we had to go to separate schools I had to learn how to fight to defend myself from the ones who wanted to invade my personal space and pull my wig off. Things gradually got better throughout high school, but it was only when I went to college that my alopecia started to cease being a problem.

I could go on forever about different things that happened in school to me and how I reacted to it, but there isn't enough space here to tell it. Please feel free to message me anytime and I'll tell you more about it!!!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service