I always say I don't like wearing wigs in the summer because they're so hot and itchy. It's the truth, wigs are really uncomfortable for the most part when you're trying to swim, lay out, play volleyball; I learned this all yesterday hardcore.

The real truth, though, is that I don't like wearing the wigs because it's a statement. I don't feel like I should have to just because my family doesn't like the little bit of extra attention we get, or because it makes other people feel uncomfortable. If I choose to not wear anything at all on my head, a hat, a bandanna, or a forsaken, hot and itchy wig, then why can't I. Sometimes, not all of the time, but sometimes I like to cause a scene and have people stare at me because I'm not wearing anything. I don't know if I'm the only one that ever feels like that, but sometimes I feel better and more 'myself' knowing that the people around me know and see the true me. It also shows people when I'm running around, wrestling, being thrown into the water, and stuff that I'm not sick.

I like to make myself look really beautiful and then not wear a wig because then people look at me kind of strangely. I like to show people that you can be bald and still beautiful. Do other people ever not wear wigs to make a statement too?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You bet your ass I do!!!

This has been a point of contention between my mother and me for YEARS, almost as long as I have had alopecia. Like I told her for the gagillionth time last night (of course the conversation came up because she was ONCE AGAIN riding me because I don't date or try to), why should I compromise how I look or what I choose to wear or not wear on my head to please a guy or his family or his friends? It shouldn't matter HOW I look whether I'm with a guy or in the workplace or wherever I am. By showing the world that I am bald and beautiful, I am constantly forcing others to reassess their definition of beauty -- and only by becoming the new norm will we truly get that sense of belonging for which we have all been searching.
I agree. I've been AU for 9 months now...and Im feeling a little annoyed with the whole wig thing. I feel like the main reason I wear it is for OTHER people...not myself. This is sad...but sometimes I wish there was a place just for us...where we could walk around bald and not feel awkward ; /
I HATE working out with a wig...it just sucks!
I have had alopecia years and from the beginning I haven´t use wigs much. I hate them because they feel so uncomfortable, maybe it is just because we don´t have here very comfortable wigs what people with alopecia need. I used wig 4 years ago just at work 2 years because I didn´t want to look diffrent but then I quit because I felt that it wasn´t me. I like to go out with nothing at all or hats and bandanas. Right now I work in the youth club and kids dosen´t mind how I look. New kids ask what it wrong with me but still they don´t mind.
My family would like me to wear wigs but now finally they have given up and I hope they understand I will wear a wig when I really want.

One big reason I don´t use wigs is that I think it is more uncomfortable if a wig comes off some how than a hat or bandana but it is just how I feel.
Hi every one.... i refused to wear a wig...when i decide to shave the rest of my hair finally....i send an e-mail to all my co-workers and management about me going to be bald and reason why and what was alopecia.....all i got was positive.... some were worry it was related to cancer... i reasure every one.... some even said i was sexy....lol... i will tell you i love it and dont regret doing it.....i do look like a dalmacien dog when it start to grow.....all spotty..lol... well we do have to laught about it...it is funny... so no wig for me.... have a great day every one ...Lise Marie
Yes and no! I don't usually wear a wig because of their discomfort and heat and truly it just isn't me and I'm sick of hiding. It's not so much that I do it to make a statement, even though I do, but I actually enjoy educating people about alopecia so I try to invite them to ask questions. In the past, I've found that going to work bald makes a lot of people act strange and I usually make a point then to shove my bald head in their face so they may accept it. So, I guess I only mean to make a statement when people are rude about it.
Hello Kaitlyn and my fellow Alopecians,
Every day that I walk out my door, I have the intention of making a statement and spreading awareness. I haven't worn a wig since my wedding three years ago. And, I regret even wearing a wig that day. I chose to wear one to make everyone else comfortable and it made me uncomfortable. My husband and daughters told me not to wear one, but I wanted everything to go smoothly and some of my family members have issues with my bald, tattooed head, so I wore a wig. But, you'll be happy to know that it only lasted a couple of hours and I took it off!! I decided long ago that people were going to stare whether I wore a bandana, baseball cap, scarf, or au naturel. So, I tattooed my head so that people would ask questions about it. That is my opportunity to educate them about Alopecia. And, like Kat says, only by making it the "new norm" will we ever be accepted as we are....Bald and Beautiful. I wish everyone would feel comfortable enough to make a statement but every little bit helps. Keep up the good work everyone and hold your bald head high!!!
Wig yes or no?It's very dilemma,largely female.I am man and meanwhile always I can't go without baseball cap,to feel funny plaguy.Also below baseball cap it itch,bite and largely man plaguy exudes,as well as below wig.It is not good!Unfortunately but are people that the know how to be bad and will prove it send sb. word.It I think, that the can be splitting,largely female.Therefore belongs to my big recognition and admiration for each of you that the will prove this apprehension surmount.On his case I have to tell, that the find courage and go without wig,is not only a comfortable.Already am it once wrote.Than am alone got alopecia scar and do not find this splendid place alopecia world.Will never before by am bald woman haven't seen.A wherewith longer this place visit all the more I have to tell, that the and smooth are very beautiful namely not only at sight.Z you namely radiates anything else more,what near by other is perhaps hidden just below hair or namely nor isn't.So will I tell you flat, that the by, that the with comprehensible reasons its bare head palm,not make sense but also possibility show to those other namely largely in the event of women how and smooth prove be very beautiful.A thanks that change and possibly their present view of eye - appeal women.Put would hereto write much,but my English is bad so I don't know whether me do you understand,what am you wanted tell. as
My wife is bald with alopecia universalis. She usually wears a wig or a scarf, but sometimes she does go out bald, when she is really dressed up. To her it is like a fashion statement. I have seen photos of women who are fashion models who are bald, so it is like that to my wife.
Thanks, it's really great to hear from people that are proud and optimisstic! It does make me feel really good to know that somewhere here in Pa. someone else looks like me and doesn't care ;]
Hi

I can only comment on this from outside looking in. My daughter has AU and has had varying forms of AA for the last 5-6 years. When I talk to her about this she says that she relates to herself with hair and that's how she likes to present herself to the wider public. She doesn't care if people know she doesn't have hair. She's comfortable to take her wig of with those she trusts. Alopecia for her is a small part of who and what she wants to do. (She's 17 years old so this may change who knows :)).

I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable either choice (to wear a wig or not) is just that a choice. Both choices have consequences. That is alopecia - it has consequences even though we wish it didn't.

Rosy.
I've been bald since January 30th, 2008. I HATE wearing a wig and will only do it when the weather is cool, or I'm in an air-conditioned place, and I want to "dress up". Increasingly, I'm going bald, and getting more and more used to it. I wear scarves a lot, but they're too hot for me when it's warm out. I teach a dance class bald...no way I'd wear anything while exercising. I read about women wearing wigs to play tennis...I just can't imagine doing that. Being around the other bald women when the Shear Genius show was filmed made me feel so good. I wish there were more of us.
Thanks for your reply! I still have insecurities, too, even after going bald in public regularly. But, my experience is very much like yours - my baldness is a conversation starter, and people do compliment me frequently. I like the "surprise" factor, too. I get the "what stage of chemo are you at?" question quite often. It bothers me that people think I'm ill, but I also appreciate that they care and want to connect or talk with me about their loved one who had cancer, or about their own battle with it. I'm still coming to terms with the way I look, but it IS the way I look. More and more, my attitude with other people is "I'm bald...get over it", if you know what I mean.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service