Mosquitos and other bothersome things that like my shiny pate...

I was in the backyard digging a hole in very hot, damp, weather, and I kind of forgot to put mosquito repellent on my head and face. Of course, I got eaten alive. I'm one of those people that acts as a mosquito magnet.

To top it off, I almost always have a strong reaction to mosquito bites, so I end up with a lumpy head (and some bites on my face). Not having hair means I don't get the early warning that micro-Dracula is landing for a feast!

I don't like putting chemicals on my head, the skin there has toughened up over the years but it still has a tendency to peel or flake if I use strong soaps or any chemicals on it.

What does everybody do to combat this when going au nauturel up top? Any favorite types of repellent?

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have a favorite type of repellent, mainly because I'm too lazy to use it. I know what you mean about being eaten alive. I was mowing the lawn one time last year and somehow ended up with about 10 mosquito bites on my head. I was wearing a bandana too! Sorry this isn't helpful, but just thought I'd share my similar story...
Have you tried wearing a bandana or a hat outside? This may help. You can try by making your own Herbal Insect Repellent Oil.
1 part fresh Pennyroyal
1 part fresh Thyme
1/2 part fresh Basil
1/2 part Neem leaf (if available)
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Citronella Essential Oil
l Olive Oil
Pick your fresh Herbs. Manually
Here are four easier recipes. I do know that using the Eucalyptus or the Lemon Balm work:
I haven't tried it with thyme or lavender but I have heard it works too.
20 drops of Lemon drop essential oil OR 20 drops of Thyme essential oil OR 20 drops Lavender essentail oil OR 20 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil
2 TBSP olive or vegetable oil
1 TBSP aloe vera gel

Mix this and shake in a glass jar. Put a few drops on your skin and clothing.
Skin So Soft, Skin So Soft, Skin So Soft!!!

That stuff is so good I put it on my dog every day when he goes outside so he doesn't get mosquito and bug bites too!

When you can't get your local Avon lady to bring you some though, the Off Deep Woods -- Sportsman (in the blue can) works real good too -- that stuff is made for hunters and folks who spend a lot of time outside and are more prone to bug bites.

To put it on your head and minimize reactions, just spray the Off into your hands and put it on sparingly -- and when you come in for the day wash the applied areas real good with soap and water.

Hope that helps!!
Personally I won't put anything on my head that could eventually run into my eyes. The best way I've found to combat the little buggers is to wear a scarf. I wear a really light one and it keeps my ears covered as well as my entire head (including the forehead) and the back of my neck. Our friend's farm is teeming with mosquitos and black flies and no chemical I've seen comes close to chasing them away!
I just had to reply to the cow licking your head thing. My cat is weird and she likes to lay on my back when I lay on my stomach and she'll lick the back of my head where - ironically - my hair is growing back in??? Hmmm? LOL

A tip from a good friend of mine: rub a fabric softener sheet on your head before you head out or wear under your hat. I haven't tried it but she swears by it.
Wish I would have read this earlier. The deer flies were relentless yesterday as I tried to cut the grass. Wonder what my head will look like once the bites start to swell?

Must be a cat thing...the cat likes to sit on the top of the couch and lick my head too.
Just curious Tony, is any hair growing where the cat licks you? I wouldn't worry about the swelling too much, I've noticed that's where I get the least swelling from a bite but it'll still itch :(
LOL! My God, I thought I was the only mosquito magnet! One time my family had a Memorial Day picnic and there were a total of 32 bites. 4 on my Mom, 2 on my cousin and the rest on me!! When moved to Maine it took the biters six months to find me, but they did find me eventually. I really to believe they track me and follow me where ever I go! ;)

I haven't seen this mentioned, yet, but the little blood-sucking vermin are heat seekers! And where do alopecians lose the most heat? BINGO! So, if chemical protection doesn't appeal to you, there's always the physical protection of a hat or scarf. It would have to be a thick scarf, the little blyters can bite through thin fabrics. Me? Deep Woods Off! I spray it on my hands and rub it in.

The physical cover is a must for me though, especially on sunny days. I'm very fair skinned and I scorch easily! And like just about all of you: I HATE PEELING! It's like dandruff on a grand scale and for a hairless person to have dandruff, well, it's embarrassing! ;)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service