Well, I'm actually kind of surprised that no one has brought this up, but maybe I should. Is it ok that I'm bringing up religion? No idea. The only reason I think it's ok is because I don't want a debate. I would really like to know how everyone's spiritual growth was affected when they lost their hair. Did your belief in God diminish? Or did your faith become stronger? No matter what happened with your belief, I want to know. Please, no one start a debate on this discussion, I simply want your personal religious journey when you were going through your hair loss and where you are now. Thank You!

Views: 908

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know this topic was here before because I found it so interesting reading all the responses. I wonder where it went?!

Well...for me I don't think alopecia has changed me spiritually, really. I've always believed in God and believed that everything happens for a reason. My beliefs have not changed in the slightest. God may throw us a curveball sometimes, but only if He knows we will still be able to knock it out of the park. Ooh I like that! I should go write that on my page. ;o)
Mandy is correct. There was some discussion of this before, but the conversation was deleted when the person who started the discussion deleted her Alopecia World account. The original discussion was titled "Religious: moreso or more less now that you've been diagnosed?" Fortunately, I was able to retrieve most of the replies from www.alopeciaworld.net/forum/topic/show%3Fid%3D2022678%253ATopic%253...">Google cache:

Reply by Carol on May 8, 2008 at 11:46am

Well in my case you are right! Alopecia has played a major part in how I view religion. Growing up was just so difficult, even transitioning into adulthood. I had gone to a catholic school from kindergarden to grade 10 and in the end I had lost any and all beliefs. God was never there for me, I was a good kid for the most part. I wanted to attend church as a kid, I was baptised, had my first communion, loved midnight mass at Christmas and everything. I began learning more about science and how the world was created and to me (sorry, I know this subject is touchy as is) that was more beleivable. Poof - God was gone, just like that! A few years ago I felt as though I was missing something in my life. I asked myself: what am I missing? Not neccesarily religion and idolizing but something spiritual. I got into taoism and buddhism and just enjoying life in general and everything it has to offer. The whole idea of karma sits nicely in my mind that if someone does something bad it will come back to him later in life rather than waiting for God to deny his/her entry into heaven. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and this is just what worked best for my situation - like I always say though "to each their own". But yes, to answer your question, alopecia has affected my religious views!

Reply by rj on May 9, 2008 at 9:00am

Carol, you and YoKasta and a few other members of Alopecia World are such good writers that I'm tempted to respond to just about everything you say. I appreciate every one of you. :-) As to your comments here, are you saying that the way you were treated as a young alopecian led you to believe that God wasn't there for you and that, for this reason, you became more open to atheistic worldviews? I'm trying to clearly understand your assertion "alopecia has affected my religious views!"

Reply by Carol on May 9, 2008 at 12:46pm

That's exactly what I'm saying! God was not there for me as a young alopecian and I gave up on him/her/it. I'd just rather appreciate the beauty the entire world has to offer and work at personal enlightenment because being at peace with myself is more important to me than anything. I may not have found God but I have found myself!

Reply by rj on May 9, 2008 at 1:52pm

Carol, thanks for the clarification. I've had my own issues with "God" and especially "God's people" for some time now, but I've become more of a "Christian agnostic" than atheist. My eldest daughter's boyfriend recently ventured into Taoism and I've had an interest in Buddhism for quite some time. Any suggested readings?
Reply by Carol on May 9, 2008 at 3:22pm

Personally, I started with Benjamin Hoff's books (The Tao of Pooh, The Te of Piglet, and The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow...). I also have "The Tibetan Book of the Dead" which is quite interesting as well. My oldest daughter has been bringing many books home about different religions for an assignment at school and I've been picking the odd one up. I love learning about all the religions, even if I don't beleive in them, they are so interesting.

Reply by YoKasta Martinez (aka kastababy) on May 8, 2008 at 7:41pm

me personally, I'm a person of faith, but I'm not particularly religious. I pray and I go to Mass regularly, but I did that growing up anyway. So no, I can't see that alopecia has altered my religious beliefs and practices any.

Reply by rj on May 9, 2008 at 9:03am

Hey, YoKasta. Be sure to read my response to Carol as well. ;-) You can't say that alopecia has altered your religious views or spirituality, but have your religious views or spiritualty altered your alopecia in any way? In other words, what role does your spirituality play in helping you cope with alopecia?

Reply by YoKasta Martinez (aka kastababy) on May 13, 2008 at 7:20pm

When put that way, I would have to say yes -- my faith has altered my alopecia. For years when I was a child, I would pray with my grandmother every day, which helped me to develop my own personal relationship with God. When I pray, I don't pray for myself other than to ask forgiveness for my sins of act, thought, and omission. I always pray for others -- and I truly feel that when coming to God with a truly humble spirit and sincere heart, He will answer your prayers. I think that when I truly and completely put my alopecia in His hands that he rewarded me by allowing my hair to grow back when it did. I admit to questioning my faith and where it has gotten me in recent years with the death of my father and other less than pleasant events that have happened -- and I think that God has responded by causing my alopecia to be active again. Rather than blame God and simply say that He doesn't exist, I see the periods of active alopecia as a test of my faith -- much like the story of Job, who was tested above and beyond what most of us in this day and age can scarcely imagine -- and it is my duty as a child of God not to forsake Him in any way, nor is it my place to demand that He restore my hair on my time schedule. When He sees fit to restore me to what I was, then and only then will my hair grow back. My mother and grandmother always told me that I was sent here for a reason; as I get older it becomes clearer to me that that reason is to be a voice of strength, comfort, and inspiration to whoever may need it. I can see the difference my presence here in Alopecia World has made in just 2 short months. I think that had I not had the spirituality that I do have, and the strength that it provides me, that I would not be able to have the outlook on life that I do have; nor would I be the perpetual optimist that I have become.

I hope this answers the question! :)

Reply by Joshua on May 11, 2008 at 3:14pm

My alopecia has boosted my faith in God to a much higher level now. As growing up in a Christian family, I am very much used to Christian traditions and belief. However, the largest blow to my faith, was when someone supposedly religious suggested that I might have done something "wrong" and God was punishing me. Instead of directing my bitterness of the statement towards God, the affirmation of a loving and caring God who works miraculously in mysterious. My belief in God did not promise of "Blue sky all the days of our lives" and yet promised love, strength and grace everyday has strengthen my faith in Christianity. Eventhough I adhere closely my religious belief, I maintain an open mind to explore the faith of others, including atheism. Once I was told that in the Bible that God numbered each strand of hair on head and that not one hair will fall without God's permission. And amazingly at the lowest moment of my life, I meant really really "low". I wrote a poem that says each fallen hair will turned into a star of blessing. I soon began to realise the fact of the statement when I start remembering my dear friends in my daily prayer, its increasing all the time. Great and true friends start pouring into my life and my life has been entirely changed from a "dying plant" to a "blooming tree", and it is emotionally overwhelming and I know that some of the friends are part of this support community and they know who they are.

Conclusion: Eventhough I do still struggle with my alopecia occasionally but I have no hesitation to tell anyone that around me that "Alopecia is indeed a blessing to me from God" because through Alopecia I met the most amazing people in my life as well as telling me things that matters most in life!

Reply by Jane on May 13, 2008 at 8:57am

God is the one constant in our lives from birth to death and beyond. He is with me when I'm in remission or when I'm active. I think I would have to have a poor relationship with God if I were to allow the quality of my faith to be influenced by others. So, I guess I would say that my religious views have been reinforced rather than changed.

People aren’t perfect, so our response to things we don’t understand may not be perfect, but it is a reflection of the truer inner nature, so I don’t take reactions personally, per se, but use it as a guide (and hope for the best, but be prepared for and try to move on from the worst). God gave us all strength of character and strong survival skills, because he knew we might need them. And that we would appreciate the overall good qualities in most but be able to move beyond the poor character of a mere few.
I agree with both Sandra and Mandy. Like Sandra said...sometimes it can get hard and you do have your moments where you can't seem to find your faith, and it is just a part of the journey. But I think a part of the journey is also looking into faith and God maybe more closey than before. I personally still believe in God just as much as I did before, and I really do believe that He doesn't put people through something, or present them with challenges He knows they can't handle. All of us are such strong and brave people who know where true beauty lies and that's why maybe WE are the ones to go through this, because perhaps others couldn't do it. Go us! =)
Well at first I was really,really angry with God.After going to the doctors,the derm and numerous other places we couldn't get to the root of what is causing it.I felt at first,as I'm sure a lot of people do,that it must therefore be a punishment for something and so after begging God to show me what I was doing wrong and not feeling like I was getting any answer,I put it down to Him just letting it happen. So therefore I was really angry,wondering why my God would let something like this happen to me at such a time in my life,a time when appearances are so important.

So it was anger first and then when I found I couldn't actually cope with it on my own I went back to Him for a chat and,as He always does,He welcomed me back with open arms.

Since my alopecia started it's gotten progressively worse and although I do still have a lot of hair compared to others,I don't have even half of what I used to.I had really thick hair so on one hand I'm really lucky because thats whats enabled me to cover up and stuff but on the other hand it makes it a bit more painful to run my fingers through what I do have and remember what it was not even two years ago. At every stage of this when I've needed something to cover up with God's stepped in with a new solution. And I was at a really low point last November and felt like nobody could understand what I was going through and then God brought into my life a new person who has alopecia,is a christian and we have countless other things in common.This girl has helped me through some of my lowest points since then.

So in answer to your question,my faith in God has been strengthened by this.I think the reason behind that is because before alopecia I didn't have many bad situations in my life and so there was little I prayed for God to improve.But having alopecia and seeing the healing and provision,the support and the strength that has come after I've looked everywhere else but then finally turned to God has shown me on a personal level that God does change things and He does listen and answer prayer.

Bit of a long winded answer but hey,I'm new here lol.

Love and Hugs To All x
i went to private catholic school from first grade through senior year of high school, but i myself am not catholic. when i started losing my hair, i was only seven and still at a point where "the grown ups say i have to believe in God, so i dont have a choice." when i started losing my hair i was angry and i wouldn't say i stopped believing in God, but i was mad at Him. when i reached high school i began accepting myself but i still never took God back into consideration until my junior year of high school when i began taking a philosophy class. my high school was known for being a more "liberal" catholic school that offered a 2-year philosophy course which studied everything from Hinduism and Buddhism to the Greek philosophers. i slowly began to see and to realize that in my denial, God was still there. it didn't mean i needed to declare myself a catholic or a christian or a Hindu to believe in that higher being/power. i began to realize that losing my hair wasn't something God did TO me, it was something God did FOR me, because in losing my hair, i gained the most valuable lesson i think a person can learn: the true importance of inner beauty. =)

take care and have a beautiful day,
traci
This discussion inspired me to start another one titled "What Do Your Scriptures Say About Your Hair Loss?" Of course, you're welcome to make your voice known. :-)
acutally i tried to grow spiritually and gave more importance to prayer which resulted in hair growth, i completely got rid of alopecia but after a few months it stated again i guess i lost the faith i had before
I do believe in a higher being. I was born and raised a christian in my family.

But, about three years ago I started reading a lot of books by the Dalai Lama. It interested me greatly. I do believe that everything in this world does happen for a reason. I also believe in karma. My entire life I have felt like this and just in the past three years or so, I have found that a lot of my beliefs go along with the Buddhist way.. I also have found that reading and learning more about the buddhist's have made me feel more at ease..
I think it is making me a better person inside and out.. :) So, i would say that the Dalai Lama has benefited me!!
If anyone would like some suggestions on books.. I have many :)
Yes.. :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service