I've tried bic'ing it once by myself, but found it impossible to get all the patches on the back of my head.
My girlfriend came over a few days later and corrected it, but she was so nervous that I'd rather not ask her to do it again.
So what techniques do others use or does everyone get help?
It's quite awkward trying to hold a mirror in one hand and shave using the backwards reflection. lol

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For several months, before I went AU and didn't have to do it anymore, I had no problem shaving my entire head in the shower. I did it by touch. After applying shaving gel/foam all over my head, I held the razor in my right hand and ran my left hand over each area before I shaved. I had stubble patches in various areas, and started with the top of my forehead and just worked down and back. I moved my hands in a continuous motion with short strokes - left first, feeling my scalp, immediately followed by the razor: left-right, left-right.... I would keep going until I didn't feel any stubble anywhere. On the thickest patches, I sometimes had to reapply some gel and go over it again. I got pretty good at it quickly, and by keeping my touch light, I never nicked myself. I don't know if this description makes sense.
i feel the stubble and roll with it lol, first i rub my head for rough bits, then find the direction against the hair with my fingers then replicate that movement with the razor, although quite alot of my hair has gone so it makes it a bit easier. ohh and i dont know if you are using disposible razors?! but i found myself covered in cuts with them so i gave up on them. i use a fusion power razor and it works like a dream.
I remember feeling the same way the first time or two. I was terrified of putting a big gash in my head or cutting off an ear. OK, I'm exagerating about the ear part but the rest is true...I was very concerned about cutting myself. The good news is shaving became no big deal after the first week. First piece of advice...pitch the Bic and splurge on a good razor. The Gillette Mach 5s are pricey but well worth the smooth shave, lack of razor burn, and long life. Plus, there have been days that I've been beating feet to get out the door...haven't cut or nicked myself yet with one of these. A good shaving cream like Edge gel for Sensitive Skin also helps.

Skip the hand held mirror. It's easier to shave by feel. I start from the base of the neck and gently pull forward in one motion. You'll get the hang of how much pressure to apply after doing this a few times. How smooth you want your head is the next question. One pass leaves some stubble. I figure if I'm going to rock a bald head, I want it to look and feel smooooth. I take another pass, this time starting with the razor at the front and moving back. Once I'm done, it's a rinse with ice cold water, then a rub with my hand to see if I missed any spots. A touch up here or there, then a little cream to keep your skin soft.

Best advice is to go slow until you get comfortable with the motions. Everyone cuts themselves now and again. Keep a styptic pencil around just in case.
Great advice, I'll have to try it out myself
I've said it before and I am sticking to it.
I use a pre shave lotion and then an electric razor. The same one I use on my face.
My typical routine is every 3 days

Jeff
I have been shaving my patch on the bacl of my head since i was 12. I have used just about everything. The last thing was the mach 5 but then i found the headblade. I like the head blade the best. it is quick easy and the shave gel they make is metholated that gives you a cooling feeling. it is a razor that fits in the palm of your hand. it is made just for you head so itis cured to fix the round ness of your head. I just shave by touch no mirror i i miss is spot i just tell my friend look i got a hair!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service