Where are you on the triangle? (Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)

We are needy or secure in different ways. I think if you research Maslow's theory and relate it to AW contributors, you can see that many who have basic needs met (by self, parents or spouse) have the time and mental freedom to obsess about hair loss and self-esteem. Those with basic needs not being met, or those who have risen to the top of Maslow's pyramid, seem to concentrate on other subjects here...for better or for worse. Check it out on the attachment below and see if you agree.

Views: 411

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I am 59, a teacher, having had three types of alopecia over the years (AT now, and probably forever). Basically, I have been thinking about this model because I have had job loss and have been between the bottom two steps for months...thus making me scoff at obsessions by people who have their lives paid for or who have good jobs to buy any headcover freely. I also see now that there are way more stressful things in life...and I was curious about the young (cared for), married (cared for) or well-off sets' abilities to realize why some do NOT stress as much about hair loss on AW.

I am in the cared for category perhaps even the well off one (made my money myself - not given to me ) I still obsess sometimes over my hair loss. I have had greater, far greater, and devestating things happne in my life, lose of parent, loss of sibling, loss of health , yet still obsess sometimes over hair. Interesting reading though.

It's strange isn't it? Who can figure it out. Cause, yeah. I've had a parent die, and about 5 members of my immediate family in less than 4 years. That was horrible. Health argh...no comment. And other things that are emotionally devasting...still hair took me out and down.

Maybe it was easier to hide pain in a crowd before hair loss. One can't hide much with physical changes.

Love it SINS - so funny. He even tosses some to the crowd!

Hmmm.... interesting. I think this could be TG's latest pyramid-selling scam :)

You buying?

Depends what you're after... and what I get in return! ;)

Just keep lighting up my life, Dear, and I'll try not to bring you "down to my level!"
At this distance, witty banter and deep psychological conversations enough for you?

Flashback! Education class aghhhhhhhh!

Believe it or not, I just got asked a question about this in a teaching job interview this morning! Good thing I had just brushed up...

Out of all the questions, which I reviewed with the principal when he called six hours later to say I DIDN'T get the job (none of the three interviewees did), he said I "nailed" the Maslow question! Ha ha. Still on bottom level, however!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service