I am here to say I strongly recommend getting it done! It is worth every penny. I had mine done yesterday and I can't believe the difference in my life. For a year I had been carting around eyebrow pencils, always worrying about smudging throughout the day. I didn't realize how much I had been avoiding looking at myself in the mirror; now I can't stop! They are so realistic. My husband kept doing double takes at me all last night and saying "wow!" And he never notices anything...I always have to tell him when I got my haircut lol! I can't wait to go swimming next week without having to worry about looking like an alien.

Be sure to do your homework though. I first checked out a woman in town that is just starting out and has all this new high end equipment. Her price of $175 was tempting. But then I found Jamilla, an hour's drive away from me in NH. She has been doing permanent cosmetics for 20 years and is a true artist. Just last week she had a woman (with FFA) fly in from South Carolina for corrective work. This poor lady had a plastic surgeon do her initial eyebrows and they were poorly shaped and turned blue in 6 months. She then went to two more people to try and get them corrected and then spent several years having them removed by laser.

Since any picture I post will likely be upside down or worse, I thought I'd put a link to Jamilla's web site instead. If you are like me and googled eyebrow tattoo, you are probably horrified at the idea! However Jamilla has tons of before/after pictures, in addition to her corrective work, that you can see what a true artist and professional can do. She also has a section on what to look for in a permanent cosmetician. It is a very informative site.

http://www.permanentcosmeticsbyjamilla.com/gallery/

Views: 2593

Replies to This Discussion

C.Anne I tried to reply directly to your comment but the page keeps directing me here. Anyway, my endocrinologist did agree that being too low or high on thyroid hormone can accelerate the rate of hair loss. So in addition to all my other meds I am trying to lower my dose a bit. I need to be slightly hyperthyroid to suppress the risk for cancer, but I have room to play with. With my new endocrinologist I added T3 (Cytomel) in addition to T4 (Levoxyl) and I feel so much better.

Thanks for that info.  I suspect I'd better go back to seeing an endocrinologist myself.  I'm now pre-diabetic, in addition to the other disorders, so he would want to advise me on that as well.  For the past several years I had been on 88mcg of levothyroxine.  About the same time I got the FFA diagnosis, my T4 blood labs were off and I was promoted to 100mcg.  But I have never added T3.  I'm starting a long list of questions for my next appt.!

I am having my eyebrows done on Thursday. The technician was trained in Lebanon and comes highly recommended. Any tips for coping with the pain and aftercare?  Mareea

Mareea, I had a topical anesthetic put on for 30 min prior to the work being done. I had some mild discomfort while she did the initial surface layer, but then she added more anesthetic that was rapidly absorbed and I felt absolutely nothing for the remainder of the session.

She gave me written instructions for the after care, but essentially you use hydrocortisone for about 5 days and Vaseline as needed to keep the area moist. There is some redness and swelling, but not noticeable; I went out and ran errands right from the appointment and saw friends, etc. without feeling self conscious. You also need to avoid getting the eyebrows wet until they are healed, about a week, which was probably the hardest part for me as I swim laps twice a week.

Good luck Mareea - most important - that the brows are even/symmetrical !  Mine were done on Wednesday for the second time.  A bit dark still but they do tone down.  I was given some balm and told not to use Vaseline this time.  A little painful to have it done but worth it ! The first time was December 2012 so they had lasted well.  Protect them from the sun after healing or they will fade - always use a high facter on them.  Hope it goes well. x

Thanks for the advice.  Just out of interest how much do your technicians charge in USA?  The local lady who does them here charges $380 for first timers but includes two touch ups over six months. She then charges $200 for redoes after 24 months of the original. Our dollars are about on parity.  I have thought of going into the local blokes tattoo parlour and asking for a quote. I suspect the we ladies are being forced to pay a premium. what do you think?

Just had my eyebrows tattooed 7 days ago. Love them and wish I had done sooner!

Terrific. I am an Aussie too from  Adelaide. Where did you go and if you do not mind what was the cost? Just for a comparison. I have had some outrageous quotes from the posher salons.  Mareea

I paid $412. The full advertised price was$550 but got 25% discount. I'm in Brisbane but sure you can find reputable person in Adelaide. Check out color implants.com.au
Just had the follow up (after 4 weeks) and have had feathering technique done. My eyebrows look real with hairs! I have gone from zero eyebrows that I had to draw on everyday, to amazingly real looking eyebrows. Just love them, all my friends comment on how good the look. Janice Trainer in Brisbane, Australia did the work and just love and wish I would have done much sooner because it makes me look and feel good. Highly recommend her work

I am so glad that you are happy with the results. The brows are important in framing the eyes and adding expression. I look like a startled chook without brows. I had mine done at a local salon by a Lebanese technician who does brows all day. Is was expensive but makes me feel better. I wonder how much they would charge at a blokes' tattoo parlor. Some of their work looks pretty fine and detailed.

That's wonderful Linda! I feel the same way.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service