I first noticed I had some missing hair at the front when I was 19 years old but my hair was still quite thick. Later in my 20's it was starting to become noticeable. I absolutely hated it. I used to have the comb over but bravely opted for a number 4. A few weeks ago I had a number 1 which is only a few millimetres long. I've had to accept it and now am able to crack a joke about it.

Views: 1249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do use fake eyebrows or eyebrow pencil to make one (I've actually you tubed how to master the décor of makin' eyebrows :p) ..

Fingers crossed and hopin' for da best for da future..it's been over 2 years now (8 months since AU).

I regret losing my eyebrows and lashes too. It's easier without worrying about the hair loss, when it's gone.

The hardest was losing the lashes. I felt like a lizard for the longest time. Oh well.

I lost all of my hair to AU over a period of 2.5 months right when I turned 22. At first I didn't think I would be able to deal with it. But our family had always had tough times, being on a small farm that made no money. Our family motto had always been "if you can't laugh about it, you're gonna cry". I opted for the laughter. My family and friends were so supportive, they made it easy.

When my son lost his hair to AU 1.5 years ago at the age of 6, he was already used to the light, open way I dealt/talked about it (i don't wear a wig), and the way I joked about it. So he naturally just slipped into the same way of dealing. It helped so much! I can't tell you how many times I've wondered why this happened to me...maybe it happened so that my son would have an easier time with it!

That being said, the humour is always positive (don't have to shave my legs!). Our sons came home with letters about lice at school. My son said, with a huge grin, "I guess we don't have to worry about getting lice, eh mom?"! :-)

That's a brilliant way of understanding it Cate. Your son is lucky to have you as his Mom!

Wow..Really happy to see the way you have dealt with it!
Your son should be proud to have a mom like you and vice!

Just a quick Q..I'm married for over 2 1/2 years..with No children yet..
What are the chances/ probability of our child getting Alopecia as well..My wife doesn't have Alopecia and as per the doctor the probability is high if the mother has it & the probability he gave was about 30%!!
It's really scary for me as I won't be able to scope up with it if the same is passed on to my child.
That's why I'm afraid to have children.. :(

Hi SandY,

First of all, thank for for the kind comments!

When my husband and I were thinking about starting a family we spoke to my doctor. I was worried about passing all of my "stuff" on to my children (in addition to AU I have Cold Urticaria (allergy to cold), PMLE (allergy to sun) which makes it pretty impossible for me to spend anytime outside, Crohns, etc). I said I would adopt if the chances were high. She looked at me and said "you've dealt with this so well, what makes you think your children wouldn't?". My husband I and discussed it and finally decided that we wanted our own children.

It's a tough decision to make. Obviously there is a possibility. You never know. We have friends...the husband has AU and the wife doesn't. They have 3 boys with no signs of Alopecia yet.

Good luck!

My son is only 2, and I developed AA around a year after he was born. It was hard at first only because he was so young that it was very upsetting to him to suddenly see his mom without hair. But we dealt with it, and he's completely fine with it now. Kids are so resiliant that way, and life is nothing but one change after another anyway, so all we can do as parents is help our children to manage change. It is such an important life skill. I understand your apprehension about passing it along, but Alopecia is the kind of thing that you and your partner are very well equipped to help your child or children manage. I am confident that you would do just fine if it became an issue.
That's great for some people. I have been completely bald (AU) for 5 yrs. Its gotten easier over time but i still miss my beautiful hair. Still cry every now and than and get mad at God (there s no one really to blame so i guess he is the easiest to yell at cuz i know he can deal w it). remember there r allot of us that aren't so accepting of this and not to dismiss their feelings. Everyone deals w loss in different ways.

Good thing about alopecia: I never have a bad hair day!! I'm at the point of being brave and not wear a wig anymore (not there yet!!) but I really starting to love my bald head. Keep the humor up sometimes that is the only thing that gets you through the bad days!!

Nothing wrong with laughter if it is coming from a good place. My 6 year old lost all of her hair over Christmas. The other day in her dance class they were discussing their recital coming up. Some of the Moms started asking about how to wear do their kids hair. I noticed the dance instructor was trying to change the conversation. Saying things like it doesn't really matter. In previous years it has been a big deal. I am sure she was trying to make my daughter feel better. All of the sudden my daughter raised her hand. Her instructor asked what she wanted. My daughter said, "If it is o.k with you, I prefer to wear my hair down." Everyone just cracked up. When she was first losing her hair she use to joke with her step grandfather who is balding and say it was because their brains were so big that it pushed all their hair out. I have seen a lot of people relax because she can joke about it.

I joke about it all the time. And it helps people relax around me.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service