Just wondering what off the wall comments people say regarding your alopecia? I wear a bandana anytime I'm in public and the questions/comments I get are always fascinating.
What kind of remarks (funny or hurtful) have you heard? Also, what kind of responses do you give in return?

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not questions or comments but stares. From people age 70 and over. Somewhat disgust. As if I did it on purpose
When I'm out with my ten year old daughter (whose hair is growing back from a bout with AU), I feel terrible for her when people call her a boy. "Hey, now that's a guy with a haircut that I like!" (From the guy with the buzz cut) And "you can take him down that hall over there". (From the nurse in a hospital) Agh. Luckily Isabel just shrugs it off. But it makes me cringe. Calling attention to their error might make it worse, but must she always wear pink and hoop earrings??

I remember going for a walk wearing a head scarf when i was heavily pregnant and the looks i got! It was those "sympathetic", "poor lady has cancer and is pregnant" kinda looks which i guess people just assume. I do get alot of compliments about my wigs, usually saying how nice my hair is and have i just had it done or where do i get my hair done because they love the style. I just say thanks and laugh and say its a wig because i've lost my hair. They usually apologise sympathetically and then i point out its alopecia. It doesn't bother me to admit its not my real hair. I have however afew times just said thanks because sometimes its just easier. I have had someone once who actually has Alopecia themselves sort of say i shouldn't have any more kids because of it, that hurt!

Why should anyone have to apologize for not having hair?? I do it also, but really when someone tells me they like my hair, I am getting much better at saying "Thanks" and not giving them the details.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service