My daughter is two and half and has several large spots on the top of her head and on the left side of her head. I make her wear hats when we are outside to protect her head, but I feel like I am constantly telling her to put her hat back on. I don't want her to think that I am trying to cover her spots (which I have had my mother tell me is what she is going to think), I am trying to keep her head from being burnt and this winter, warm. I am afraid that she is going to think that I am embarrassed of her or something. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this? I can apply sunscreen to the larger spots, but she has places that are just very thin and I would rather she wear a hat than look like she has oily/unkempt hair. Am I wrong for thinking this way? Ugh, I just need some thoughts, please!

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi
My son is six. We have had similar considerations. However, I chose to view it as a sign of mental stregth that he does not take this opportunity (sun is getting stronger) to cover his spots.

Regarding your daugther who is younger you must take responsibility for her. I dont think there is anything wrong with making her wear a hat. Lots of people are chasing their kids around to make them wear a hat to protect them from heat and sun. What is important, however, is the way you handle her hair situation when she is not outside in the sun. If you can contain yourself and not try to cover her spots any chance you get; If you can convince her that she is pretty, unique and fantastic even if she has these spots then the "forcing on" of a hat is truly of no consequence to her. This is just my personal opinion having lived with 4 years of AA of my son. Good luck
Alia

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service