Hi There- After struggling for years to find good quality euro toppers I am thinking about shaving my head and buying a "Gripper 2 Sport Wig from Follea". I was told today at my consult that you can sleep in these wigs. Just wondering if anyone on this site have a Gripper Sport and do they sleep in it?
Thx Sarah

Views: 5911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rosy. I wonder if I would get a year out of the wig if I wore it to bed...also wondering if it would be comfortable to sleep in.

Hi Carmen

For some reason I can't answer your post directly so I have to do it after mine... Not sure why.

Just read through your answer and thanks for doing your best to clarify things. I believe Rose was given the information she has put here from her Rep\Salon. So education around the hair may be lacking in some way or there may be miscommunication. But she sounds a very knowledgeable lady with regards to her Follea Wig and the information she was given.

Remy Hair...another confusing term used in the wig industry. I've researched the names origin a few times and have to say there is many different descriptions around it.

Cuticle correct - does that mean that the cuticle is fully intact and not processed or does it mean that when attaching the hair to the wig that the cuticle is going in the correct direction??

Smooth the Cuticle... does that mean process the cuticle on the return hairs so that it does not tangle - that's what I understand it would be.

European hair...again I just don't like the term as it confuses people. What does it mean?? Does it mean that it is sourced in Europe (I doubt it), I believe that most people that understand wigs and information around hair would understand it to have the inherent qualities of those with Caucasian background (mid, light browns, blondes and reds and the curl patterns to go with them).

I fully understand hand tying and how it is done. (I'm a wig lady as well, with a lot of knowledge around this). Return hairs on hand tied pieces can be potentially difficult to deal with ... so you do have to process even 100% virgin hair with this method of attachment. It has inherent problems around doing this (all processed hair is weakened by being processed no matter how you do it). As you will understand as well Carmen, you have to be very careful with water (any water activities), washing and conditioning with this type of wig construction. The pouffiness around this attachment method (for me) is not as realistic looking as I like, I also don't like seeing the little knots, but some people do enjoy this type of hairpiece. Knots undoing and untying can often cause continual shedding. I believe most people who have knowledge around wigs will understand this method of hair attachment... usually the hair does need to be processed as unprocessed hair will tangle as you have pointed out (so processing takes place to stop that happening). This method of attachment has been around since the 17th century. A very time consuming process that is often done in China/India/Philippines as most 1st world countries would make this attachment method prohibitive cost wise for the consumer. Even though there are some small boutique wigmakers in the UK (especially) who continue to use this method. I would think that most wigs on the market use this type of hair attachment method, mixed with wefting (strips of hair sewn on a hairpiece). The grippers I've seen have both types of attachment methods used in its construction, but I believe the more expensive customised piece can be fully hand tied. It is a construction type which suits the fashion industry well as it is very cost effective to make so should have a price point to match.

Machine injected hair...I've seen wigs like this as well usually the cheaper type (mono filaments), but this has inherent issues as well. If anybody has a wig and understands this type of construction it would be great to get their input. Even though I've seen these type of wigs I have not investigated fully the exact method used.

Just to help you understand Carmen and other readers, Freedom uses neither process because of the problems associated with both. When using the cap construction that I understand, there are no return hairs and the hair is very securely attached to the hairpiece (no shedding), you can wash and look after the hair like your growing hair (in the shower if you like). The scalp looks exactly like the wearers scalp and the attachment method used lets the hair move and react exactly as growing hair does. I have never seen another wig with the construction used in a Freedom wig...it is unique and technologically advanced. (Many years of research have gone into its innovative construction and continues as we chat :)). It is specifically designed for those with long term extensive hairloss. It is not a fashion item but what I feel is a medical prosthetic for those with medical hairloss only.

Hi
You can sleep in all wigs if that is what you want to do. The down side for you is that it will shorten the lifetime of that wig.
I think you should ring your consultant back and ask her what sort of damage would occur with the cap and the hair if you slept in it regularly. The answer should be that it would shorten the lifetime of your wig, damage the hair and cap, hopefully they will also be able to pass on their policies around repairs and costs as the choice to sleep in a wig could possibly make repairs an inevitable part of you wearing your wig.
If the hair is processed and the unit is handtied (ask the consultant about this as well), then you will also have problems with hair breakage, tangling and knots loosening.
Ring your consultant and have a good chat to her as she would be trained and knowledgeable about the product she is selling and hopefully be helpful with making sure you fully understand what you are investing in.
Good luck with everything.
Rosy

Rose Marie,

I have asked you to reply to me directly at my email address cwestgb@aol.com or call me at 850-712-3369.

Are you a rep for Freedom?
Carmen

Carmen

If you want to call me feel free. I'm in New Zealand my number is on the Freedom Website. Freedom doesn't have Rep's. Freedom has Independent Agents who own their own businesses around the world. I am the NZ Customer Service Representative for Freedom in New Zealand (have a wee looksee on the Freedom site). I can only help NZ'er's.

I use my middle name on here as AW is something I do for myself - not Freedom, but if I feel the information about Freedom isn't correct or I feel some information could help I will do my best to do that. I have a daughter with alopecia, she has worn freedom for 10 years. As I'm in New Zealand where they are made, I have a enormous knowledge base around the Freedom Vacuum, which I'm happy to pass on if needed. :)

You have worked for Peggy Knight for years (doing a great job selling her products and helping people). Now you, Alyce and Peggy Knight work for Follea as their Representatives.

Hope this helps? Have you been confused??

Rosy

Rose Marie as being a rep for Freedom does give you inside information to help clearfy NZ Freedom wigs. Freedom must be very happy to have you.

I have seen lots of the Freedom pieces as I cut and style the vacuum piece from both PKS and Freedom. Each person needs to make their oun decision.

Off on a trip,
Carmen

Hi Carmen

Have a good trip.

I love what I do Carmen, if I can help people with knowledge around alopecia or wigs I'm happy to pass it on.

I agree with you. Information needs to be clear around which wig will suit people. Not all will like grippers, not all will like lace or conventional wigs.

The same goes for Vacuums. Vacuums in particular are to help those with extreme long term hairloss.

Rosy

Hi

I think that may be a big ask (1 year of sleeping in a wig)...that's up to 8 hours of constant rubbing and pressure on the hair and the cap per night. It may be possible but I would be worried that even though you might be able to do this, your wig may start to look a bit worse for wear, and that can be very stressful for wig wearers. Feeling great in your hair is very important to most wearers. :)

Rosy

Mine isn't the Gripper Sport, but it's a Gripper. So I can't imagine it feels that much different. But anyway, I have slept in mine and by morning you are ready to rip it off and itch the crud out of your head. Plus, I've only had mine a year and the top of it has ripped a few times. I really hope you're not dealing with Peggy Knight either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but she just recently pocketed A LOT of money from her clients, including me. I was lucky enough to have my credit card charges reversed almost a year later, but the people who paid with checks weren't so fortunate and lost out on their money "and" their wigs. It was a very sad situation for a lot of people. Considering she sold her name off to Foella, hopefully things are different now. @Christine, you are correct. It does shorten the span is what I was told at my consult. They told me it was "not" recommended to sleep in it. Also, I have had mine through complete baldness and now some hair. It doesn't fit as good with hair and moves a lot.

I would not recommend sleeping in any hairpiece.

I have the gripper sport and mine does not move at all. I do not sleep in mine.

You must have a lot of hair for it to move alot. You can't have hair where the silicone is.

Andrea I would like to hear more about how people lost their money - with any wig choice that involves an extensive monetary output I want to feel like the I can trust the person and/or company involved. Personally, IMHO, I think that there a so many in the wig selling business that are only concerned with the sale and have no interest in how the wig holds up or if it is even a good option for the individual. And then there is the whole misleading about 'virgin european hair' thing that some lie about!

I am sure that Follea does nor recommend sleeping in the Gripper-2 hair piece.
Carmen West

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service