I finally got the courage to tell my best friend about my FFA and that I might end up losing all my hair. I was absolutely devastated..she started laughing uncontrollably about the possibility of me being bald. I feel so betrayed. I didn't tell her how that made me feel and I don't want to lose her friendship but I don't have any idea of how to handle this. Advice and hugs would be appreciated.

Views: 2147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry you were met with this response! I can completely understand your devastation. Since you describe her as your best friend, it is worth telling her how her reaction made you feel. I hope she is receptive and apologetic.
Sending a big HUG!

Okay - I would love to live closer so that I could give your "friend" a piece of my mind. I am too mad for you too even give insight..

Okay - phew - deep cleansing breathe - I would find a support group and find a new bunch of friends. Those that have similiar experiences or at least someone that will support you thru this process.

Remember are not alone!

Part of friendship is accepting things from people you thought you'd never accept from anyone. Sometimes it takes years to get over a callous act by a friend (not that I'm necessarily calling your friend callous). But if she is your friend in the first place, it's because you love her, isn't it? And love is forgiveness. Hate this friend all you want, all you feel you must, but she will still be your friend and you will still love her - and yes, I'm sure, she will still also love you.

I personally burst out laughing at any time I am nervousness or scared take into account she maybe like me

Nothing is inexcusable.

People can be stupid. On the most part their intentions are sincere but as Sarah said, there are nervous responses people make in situations where they have no understanding. I am sorry for your diagnosis and perceived anxiety. My case is alopecia areota. I have been treated successfully for the first spot. Now I am seeking help for a second spot. I have no idea if this will be lifetime or temporary. At 55 I never had any issues before. So far my friends have been very supportive. But then part of their support comes from a far greater tragedy. My eldest passed away in 2009 of a brain aneurysm. This sent shock waves through my family and friends. A loss of this nature seems minimal and manageable. Sure it's inconvenient and should there be a need for a wig, all sorts of new considerations. I could tag one thing on after another listing all of my sorrows, disappointments and regrets. Instead I am grateful for the gifts I do have. Most importantly having the opportunity to meet the young man I had the fortune to raise and share in his life.
You can choose how you handle your diagnosis. Look for the positive and give to others. This will be most healing.
That doesn't sound like much of a friend!

You must tell her how you felt about her comment

I reckon it's cool she laughed... You must be close enough friends that she would be able to. Better she acts like that than sympathises coz after all we do need to stay positive

Hilary, What an interesting and unique thought. I still haven't talked to her but am getting up my nerve to bring up the subject.

I am being harsh I know but what an insensitive bitch. Alopecia is a life changing experience. How dare she laugh at you.

Here is a great big hug for you!  Sometimes friends and family don't know what to say to us.  They sometimes laugh out of nervousness.  They also can't imagine what they would do if this happened to them.

Don't worry too much.  When you have calmed down.  Please talk with your friend again and see how she really feels.

She may apologize.  If she has been a good friend so far, you should still be her friend.  Time will tell (in the short time) how supportive she is.  Give her a little bit of time, but keep communicating.  

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service