I am just wondering how many of you work full time and wear a wig all the time during your job? I have been off work for over a year and had to get a full wig during this process. I have a very painful scalp and wearing it for a couple of hours is misery. I don't want to feel hopeless in thinking if I am able to return to work in the future I won't be able to stand my wig. Would just love to hear from some of you who experience it. Thanks and God bles..

Views: 5088

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I normally telecommute from home, which is an ideal situation for folks like us.Although I have vacuum wigs, I don't care for them (too hot, too much hair -- but mostly just too hot), so I wear synthetics. Everyone I know is used to me looking different all the time, as I started to have fun with cheap wigs -- blonde, brunette, redhead, long, short, mid-length. I started viewing hair as an accessory, like pairs of shoes. Two months ago, I had to go on a business trip that entailed a 10-hour/day lockdown. I brought along my most comfortable "Heart of Gold" bob in strawberry blonde, thinking I could pull off wearing that one in the 10-hour sessions plus out at night for four days. WRONG! By the second night, I was up in my room nursing my wounds: bleeding blisters. So while everyone else was out enjoying great dinners in Chicago, I was in my room munching on Garrett's and sipping a martini (for medicinal purposes) made with the overpriced vodka I bought at the Rite Aid. I missed out on the collegial bonding that telecommuters only experience on business trips thanks to alopecia universalis. I am waiting for the Gripper I ordered to arrive. I hope that it will fill the gap for what I need when traveling on business. Of course, I ordered it right before the fire at Follea, so it's taking longer than expected to receive. Darn! Good luck with whatever option you choose, Chefpam!
Lori, I am curious what your application method is. I can go 24/7 without issue, and have never had blisters (only a bit of soreness around the edges where some remaining hair is getting pulled...) I too prefer synthetics, for a number of reasons. I've tried bonding too, and it didn't happen (I did get some irritation from picking the "wrong" brand of bond early on. I'm sorry the experience for you was a bad one :(
Working full time for over 40 years, wearing wig full time for 20 years.
Have you tried lace front or sure grip comfort

Hello ChefPam... I've had different stages of Alopecia for over 20 yrs now & I'm only 31 yrs old. So trust me when I say, I can relate to every last post, comment, suggestion posted on this page. Let be start off by being very candid with you. I am a Black American female from New York City, and it is very true that you and I maintain our hair (or lack thereof) very differently because of texture, etc. As a flight attendant, I MUST wear a wig. It would just be totally unacceptable to board or service a major airline flight, as a bald woman. Being a flight attendant, you must maintain a certain image for the passengers, for the airline, for the brand. Hence, the TV series "PanAm", if you've ever watched it. Pretty, eligant woman, always "sell" the airline. Sad, but thats the reality. I've been wearing what is called a "full lace front wig" for the past 3 yrs now. Im the past, I would wear a weave (hair extentions). Now that I wear a lace front wig, it's allowed me to manage my alopecia condition with confidence and style, while maintaining my career in the norm. I would love to go into detail with you about how I maintain my lace front, but unfortunately, the friendly skies are callling. What I can tell you is google "lace front wigs" and "youtube" how to apply the lace front. You can order lace front wigs online as well. You just need to do a little research on what works best for you. I understand you have psoraisis & you think the bonding of the wig may cause irritation, the solution to that is to wear a wig cap under the wig. You should try it, lace front wigs comes in a variety of styles, colors, & textures & I'm certain you will find one (or two) that will compliment you look. Lace fronts are worn by most celebs like, Beyonce, Tyra Banks, Wendy Williams, etc, just to name a few. Additionally, lace fronts are MUCH more cost effective than this "Freedom Wig" everyone is talking about. Hope, this info helps & good luck on your journey.

Sorry I someone missed your post until now. I have researched lace front wigs and just get so frustrated. I am so intimidated by them. Can't find anyone around who knows anything about them. I have wasted so much money already on failures. Thanks for the advice..You look great!

Thx hun! You as well. My grandmother always said that "hair is the essence of a woman's beauty", I never understood tht, bcuz as a teenager, I always serious bald spots, & in my late 20's I was totally bald. So how could I possibly be beautiful???? Well... Thru out my balding stages, I always got my hair done, eventually, I learned how to do it myself. I always recv'd compliments on my hair styles, and ppl asking if my stylist can do their hair, etc... So, then discovered yrs later that my grandma's philosophy was right afterall. She said "hair is the essence of a woman's beauty", she didnt say "REAL hair is the essence of a womans beauty. LOL Dont be intimidated by them. Just Google "Lace front wigs" & visit a few of the sites there. Now, most of these sites target "Black Hair", but these sites are not limited to just that. Like I said, you will find a variety of colors (incld'g blonde locks), styles, etc & the only way for u to familiarize urself is if u try it out. Many of these lace fronts are inexpensive. As low a $45 for synthetic hair to $100 for human hair. This is all abt trial & error & ur personal flare. If I'm not mistakened, do u not live in KY? I know it may be difficult to find someone who has experience or knoweledge of these types of hair techniques. Searching the web is a start. U will find it will give u much insite w/o leaving ur comfort zone. This is ur hair & ur just gonna have to educate urself on how to work with what u have or don't have. I would not be caught w/o my lace front. I love it. If u ever visit NYC, pls don't hesitate to email me. I know how difficult of a journey this may be.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service