My FFA has been stable for close to a year due to a cocktail of drugs and my dermatologist has encouraged me to pursue hair transplant and plastic surgery options. I have held off for about six months now as I don't trust my body and my FFA.

The obvious risk is going through any one of these procedures, and then have my FFA come back with a vengeance. 

Has anyone considered, investigated or had a hairline lowering/forehead reduction procedure?

Views: 1482

Replies to This Discussion

What's ffa

I'm also interested in knowing if anyone has considered hair transplant or plastic surgery to lower the forehead line.   I've been told by a Physician at Bosley that hair transplants do not work on FFA patients due to the fact the scalp is "scarred" and the transplants will not grow on scarred tissue and will eventually fall out.   Thanks for any feedback you can provide. 

Agneta - I have been on Plaquenil since Feb 2016. In the beginning, I had intralesional steroid injections and was on prednisolone (but I didn't handle the steroid tablets well). By October, I came off the prednisolone and ceased injections as the visual inflammation had disappeared. My doctor then put me on Clobetasol which I used up until Dec 2016. I took myself off the Clobetasol as I wanted to get my eyebrows microbladed and didn't want to interfere with the healing and retention of pigmentation (especially given how much I was spending!) There was no impact stopping the Clobetasol. My doctor had also at the end of 2016 started me on 1mg minoxidil (in tablet form from a compounding pharmacy) and Aldactone. Whilst I did have clear scarring, her objective was to salvage the areas that still had hair in-situ. I did get a decent result and had some hair come back but the hair in this area is damaged - much like wire.

My doctor did call me this week following her attendance at the convention - and Dee like you said - hair transplants are not an option for FFA but the hairline lowering is. My doctor was able to speak to one of the leaders of the procedure at the conference. His specifications were that to be a suitable candidate, the patient's FFA must be stable for at least 1 year and that the procedure did provide a good cosmetic result with FFA. Of course, the result varies depending on the patient's age, skin and overall health. So with this news, I have come off the Plaquenil to test and see if I'm actually stable and watch for the next few months. I'll still remain on the minoxidil and Aldactone.

However, I'm not naive - a procedure like hairline lowering is a one-shot, one-time thing. Tough luck your FFA comes back.

JMH, good question.  I would love to know this also.  

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service