Hello all, first time poster. I am curious if anyone else has had issues with progressive hearing loss and AA. I have read a lot of posts and some doctors state that the type of cells in the hair follicles and the hair in your inner ear (cilia or stereocilia) are completely different so it is not possible. BUT I have also read from some people on here that they experience ringing in the ears (tinnitus). I am just curious if any of those people have also got a hearing check and if they have been diagnosed with a loss of hearing; mainly on the high frequency.  I have come across a few scientific studies published that have showed a correlation but it seems this theory is not widely accepted in the medical fields.

A little background: I have AAP. Been dealing with my condition for over 30yrs. I had a full head of hair until I was 4yo then I lost it all at once, in a period of a couple months. I had AT for the next 3-4yrs then my hair started to come back but I have always had AAP since. I have been shaving my head since I was 20yo to cope. Now at 35yo seems like it is getting worse...lost one of my eyebrows recently. When I was around 17yo I started to notice ringing in my ears. By 22yo I went to an audiologist and found that I had some significant hearing loss for my age, in the high frequencies. They wanted me to see an ENT, I went to one and they did an MRI and couldn't find anything wrong with the auditory nerve. Over the next 12-13yrs my hearing has gotten worse (based on multiple hearing tests throughout that timeframe.)

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Robert

Views: 3211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robert,

I also have lost my hair almost 2 years now, and about 6 months ago I started noticing this hissing in my ears. Drives me crazy at times because it is so loud. I have had 2 hearing tests and they say I have tinnitus. I would of never connected the 2, but it doesn't surprise me since I lost my hair my health has gone down hill. 

The doctors say there is noting you can do with this condition, if there is something that you all know of please send me a reply...very curious.

Thanks for your article.

JoAnne

I find that having music on in the background, makes the hissing and ringing of tinnitus less obvious.

Thank you. I have tried this but at times the hissing is so loud nothing can distract it, but thank you for your quick response.

Hi all. This is absolutely fascinating for 2 reasons - I have 2 children with AA - one AAU and the other AAO. My daughter has always had middle ear issues and now wears a hearing aid in one ear. The 2nd reason I find this fascinating is that I am an audiologist! Never connected the 2 and it was never mentioned in our training either. I would love to actually document this finding for our profession. If anybody is willing to share their audiograms/hearing tests and history with me, please email me on luanets@absamail.co.za.

Fascinating!

This is very interesting i had a routine hearing check up 3 years ago before my 50th birthday and was told i needed hearing aids in both ears. I was totally devastated, then the end of that year Dec. 2013 i started getting the bald patches. I had all kind of treatments for one year and nothing worked, by Nov 2014 i was completely bald and have AAU. I also went for a 2nd opinion for the hearing and got the same result.

My 16 year old daughter has aa.  She has never lost all her hair on her head and since 7ish has mostly just had occasional spots.  She was diagnosed with mild to moderate sensory neural hearing loss in 1 ear  in the mid range frequency and a touch of hearing loss in the other ear (no idea what frequency.  She had an MRI and CAT Scan at 9 but nothing was found.   I honestly think it is genetic since my husband has some undiagnosed but obvious to me hearing problems and my sister also has some hearing loss. 

My daughter is eleven. She had sudden and complete hearing loss at age 4 (sensorineural). This past fall her left ear has shown some loss of hearing and yesterday she was diagnosed with alopecia (eyebrow). Any advice appreciated. Karen

I had hearing loss. Went to the ear clinic in LA and they fixed my hearing. 

Not sure if it got worse when I got pregnant or have always had a hearing problem?

The school tests never alarmed my parents, so it was odd!

I also have a hissing sound (and I have the feeling it's worse when I'm stressed) but not sure if this has to do with AU (does it make it worse?) because I worked at music venue for years (loud music)

I heard it's difficult to do something about it..

In my late 20's, and my 30's I was an aerobic instructor and was always around loud music, BUT I never had issues with my hearing till I lost my hair 1 1/2 years ago, and they say it is just the high frequency sounds I have a problems with, other than that I can hear real good. The hissing is crazy loud at times and I think also it is stress related. I was told to listen to 'white noise radio' music, which I'll do the nights when it is driving me crazy and I can't sleep.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it...thank you all...and God bless

I too have this.. quite interesting

I just found this article, which suggests there's a connection

http://www.ejo.eg.net/temp/EgyptJOtolaryngol314267-4329872_120138.pdf 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service