I've been getting scalp and eyebrow injections since last January, about every 3 weeks. Recently, I've been having really irregular periods - about every 2 weeks for the last month and a half, plus one irregular one in the summer. My dermatologist had told me before that these shots could interfere with menstruation, especially if someone gets shots for a long amount of time like myself. 

Obviously, I will have to speak with my doctors about this, but given that the holiday season just ended, no one is in their office so I am worried! It could be that I have been very anxious and nervous these last two months, due to exams and school stress but never ever before have I had MULTIPLE periods in a month - whenever I am in extreme stress, I tend to miss periods all together.

In Spring 2013, I had done various thyroid, hormone, gyn and even neuro tests, which all came back negative (for example, at least in the spring, I was not PCOS at all, which is apparently something that causes irregular periods too, and my thyroid levels were fine). Things could have changed between Spring 2013 and now, but I won't know until I go get checked out again.

Thanks in advance if you have any insights! I don't know if I am experiencing something relatively "normal" or if this might be caused by a whole multitude of other reasons.

Epsita

Views: 2787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your reply! I agree - every 3 weeks seems very aggressive now that a number of people have chimed in with how often they receive their shots. I'll ask my derm what her opinion is when I see her next week, since one of the side effects she warned me of has finally showed up! Happy New Year, and good luck to you and your daughter! :-)

This is just my opinion, but I've come to the conclusion that alopecia has a mind of it's own and if it decides to grow back, it will.  I don't believe it's worth endangering your health to try and grow hair.  There is currently NO cure for alopecia and even if the shots did stimulate some hair growth, eventually you have to stop them and then, unless the aa has decided to cease and desist, you are right back where you started from.  I don't think it's worth it.  I did it for a short while when I was first diagnosed but gave up after a few months as it was not curing the problem.  I have done nothing at all for the past 25 years and I am very, very happy.  Acceptance doesn't mean that you have to give up hope as somewhere down the road there may someday be a cure but right now, there isn't.  You are also young and need to keep yourself in good physical condition in case you decide to have babies etc. 

I agree with others' comments that getting injections every three weeks for nearly a year is a lot.  I had steroid injections in one patch every six weeks for about three or four months.  I didn't notice any menstrual side effects, but the shots sure caused my scalp to "dent".  The shots worked and I've only had that one patch (so far).  It will be a year in March since I was diagnosed, and while I'm extremely grateful that I haven't had any more hair loss, alopecia is a time bomb, and I'm constantly wondering/worrying if and when it will happen again. 

Stay strong, sister!

Thank you! And you stay strong as well! My derm and my regular doctor said to me that my constant worrying might be adding stress to my system, and thus making my alopecia worse so I try to worry less (really hard task though, obviously!) so I hope you can one day stop worrying about your alopecia :-)

I have been getting shots on and off for years.  I never had any period problems, but I chalked up insomnia and others issues to menopause.  I can seem to lose any weight, I wonder if that is a side effect!!!!!  I am chasing spots to.....they come and go!!!!! good luck

Hi, cortisone injections typically does not cause irregular menses. It would more likely be stress related.

I've been on injections for three years now. One doctor would only inject once a month and only one small area. My current doctor prefers to injection every other month but does inject the same amount in several areas. My hair does regrow for me but it seems I'm chasing spots as they occur. My cycle has been  'my normal" cycle prior to the injections. Every person and their situation is different but do seek a second opinion since doctors vary on amount and technique.

Yes, this is normal with steroid injections, if you get them that often, depending on the amount your doctor is giving, and even more so with oral steroids (which I have now upgraded to--because I can't find an aggressively treating doctor--have a full head of hair, and completely irregular, horrible, or missing periods--completely worth it to me). I've had AA since I was three, and at 16, quite awhile ago now, QUITE awhile (like 24 years), I started with kenalog injections in scalp and eyebrows (painful, sorry it doesn't get easier, especially the eyebrows). I had a great reaction to aggressive treatment, which it sounds like you're getting, and it sounds like your doctor was very open about the side effects too. Any kind of steroid can screw up your period, and that doesn't mean anything is wrong! A normal reaction to the drug. Talk to your doctor when you can; for god's sake, Google anything they want to or do give you, for your own peace of mind. Are you getting results? Is it worth it to you? It was to me. Did I have flare ups? Youbetcha. Did I have hair for two to three years at a time? Youbetcha. Was it worth it to me to be able to be comfortable with myself, to have a full head of hair, not awful skaggy wisps, when I was dating, starting college, meeting new people, going on job interviews? Hell yeah. You can only do what's right for you. Do your research! Feel comfortable in your knowledge, talk to your doctor about your questions. I wish you the best of luck.

Christine, I wish I had read your reply before I posted mine.  A person needs to decide for themselves if the ordeal of the treatments, and the side effects, are worth it to them.  It is a good thing that her dermatologist did inform her of the problems concerning menstruation.  I do know that it is a worry for her and I wish her the best. 

Hi, Susan. Your reply was what you wanted to pass along from your own experience and feelings, and was a good one. Treatment choices for this stupid disease, not condition, are all about your feelings, about yourself and your comfort levels with treatment. I have always gone gung-ho out for aggressive treatment, and have had good, though not permanent, results. Shots are painful, and not for everyone. But I have always supported others' choices--to shave or not to shave; a very tough decision. I was never brave enough to do it, same thing, huge awful patches everywhere, more scalp than hair, and I know what a brave decision that is for a woman. I finally cut my hair short, and I consider that the bravest thing I've done, so good for you! The great thing about this site is you hear about other people's experiences, choices, thoughts, and feelings, and it is great support. I hope you keep making the decision that's right for you, and good luck.

Thank you so much for your response :-) Yes, the injections are working for the most part, except a about 3-4 stubborn patches, so I'm not going to stop my injections. A few years ago, when I was 20/21 years old, I had one patch and a patchy eyebrow - I got shots every 3 weeks then too, for about 7 months, with no side effects. Maybe since I am on month 12, with WAY more injections needed, it makes sense that the side effects have finally started to show. I'm glad you shared your perspective with all of us! Makes me feel much better about what's going on (and yes, haha, I shall be seeing my doctors this week to make sure everything is in their best order).

Epsita,

I wish you well in everything you do.  Do you really want to continue with the injections?  Personally the injections would frighten me.  I had big huge bald places everywhere and my decision was to go ahead and shave my head.  My doctor took all sorts of blood tests and gave me a prescription for thyroid stuff.  My hair did grow back but recently (very very recently) I have noticed bald spots and I fear that my hair will fall out again.   If I do continue to lose hair I will do the same thing and shave my head.  Everyone is different though.  Keep me updated on your injections and how you feel about them.  You take care. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service