Did anyone see this show last night? A quote from Julia Louis Dreyfus' character (the Vice President of the US) "The kids had alopecia and the mothers were on crack. It was a freakshow!"

We need to write HBO to tell them that alopecia has NOTHING to do with substance abuse and that we are not "freak shows".

Repulsive!

Views: 6205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LilyBell, do you know what happens when you ASSUME things? You make an ASS out of U, not ME.

I don't work for any organizations other than the ones that pay my bills, and who I choose to volunteer my time with outside of that has no bearing whatsoever on the discussion at hand. I have not mentioned that site's name here because it has nothing to do with this, and I will not stand for you continuing to insinuate things that are simply not true.

Before you make another post, though, could you please run a grammar check and clean up your accusations? It's one thing to be talked about and falsely accused; it's another to have it done by someone that can't tell the difference between here and hear. It lessens the credibility of your argument. :D

*high five* People really need to learn to spell before they start trying to debate the issues.

awful =(

I just commented on HBO's facebook page. I plan on also sending a written letter and a letter to the link someone posted below for HBO's website. I am disgusted as well since my son already gets stares and comments. This is the opposite of what we need from the media. I am so mad right now I will wait until I cool down to write the letter! Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting comments. As offended as I am, I agree that censorship is a slipperly slope.

But, here's a QUESTION - I wonder if the HBO writers would've had the character say: "The kids were on chemo and the mothers were on crack. It was a freakshow!"

Cancer/alopecia - I bet HBO wouldn't have gone that far. But, kids with AA are fair game. Just a thought.

Also consider replacing Alopecia with: Ginger/Short/Tall/Fat/Spotty/Glasses wearing etc, you can see how ridiculous the argument for protecting people from offence can become.

As a short, fat, bald, spotty, ginger Alopecian with glasses, I will have to sell my TV for fear of being offended!

:)

I am really ignorant....what is a "ginger", please?

Judy it is not ignorant at all - it is a nick name for red heads.

Mary, I think that as offensive as the character is supposed to be, the writers indeed would have gone there and used a cancer reference. It just so happens that they chose AA instead.

I don't think that children with AA are any more fair game than any other group with a specific condition. If it wasn't bald children, then it would have been gingers, or fat kids, or kids with acne and braces, or warts, or *something*.

Not funny at all. Off just this afternoon to get my 30+ shots to the scalp. I'm an adult, I can handle it. It sucks, but at least I'm not a child being made fun of. Probably the only thing worse than being the butt of jokes is sopmeone telling you to "get over it." I sent my comments this morning to HBO. NOT FUNNY. JUST OFFENSIVE. Sick to death of snarky meanness.

Louise, I WAS a child with alopecia, and now I'm an adult with alopecia. I've lived an entire lifetime without hair, so I can say "get over it" with the wisdom of long, hard experience backing me up. Saying "get over it" is not being mean at all. If you're new to an AA diagnosis, then no, you're not expected to immediately "get over it." However, if you're sitting there after 30 or 40 years, or even 5 or 10 years whining the same old whine about how everyone else is being offensive, then guess what? The common denominator in the entire equation is YOU -- so guess what needs to change?

I have to say I'm grateful for being made fun of as a child in school. I got made fun of because I'm biracial, because I'm fat, and because I'm bald. Funny enough, I've never been made fun of because I wear glasses. I did the shots to the head, to the hip when the head shots weren't enough, the creams, foams, ointments, shampoos, oils, pills, and everything else in between. I'm grateful because experiencing all of that showed me just how bad people could really be; as a result I'm now able to appreciate how spectacular the goodness in people can be. I'm grateful because when someone on my job doesn't like me, my first response is not to go hide in a corner or the ladies' room and cry about it or go from job to job or try to work from home to avoid dealing with it. Being the butt of all manner of jokes, teases, and taunts has given me a thick skin that allows me to put my head down and keep on pushing in spite of those things, and nothing is sweeter than succeeding against all odds and obstacles. I wasn't allowed to run away from negativity and meanness, and I won't allow my life to be dictated by it either. You can only be offended by anything anyone has to say if you ALLOW yourself to be.

This discussion is about the quote from "Veep," and how some (not all) of us are offended by that.

I didn't come here for psychoanalysis.

This is why I stay off the boards most of the time.

*sigh*

Leaving the conversation.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service