My daughter was diagnosed with AA 2 1/2 months ago. She had one spot the size of a quarter. Our doctor told me it would grow back. Now she has 5 spots about 2 inches in diameter each on the top and sides of her head. The remaining hair on top and sides is VERY thin. Can anyone tell me where I can find information: names and locations of doctors who specialize in children's hair loss, statistics on AA--Does hair usually re-grow? Does it usually progress to AT or AU? Are there any predictors?? My daughter is almost 3 and I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

i agree with Tammy. Ive gotton more info here than the dr! and totally agree with u it isnt just hair. in reality i guess i am lucky that my sugar is a boy but its still hard to go from a child that everyone thought was a lil girl to a half bald half polka dotted lil boy now! Whatever outcome we have will be what God has intended for us!
I would also suggest you reach out to Children's Alopecia Project - I know they maintain a list of doctors and a few specifically specialize in treating children with alopecia. Personally I would caution against using any strong treatments on young children as there really is no cure and no one knows what side effects could be in a growing body - especially if it's a large area. I've heard of children's scalps thinning as a result of treatments. Anyway, JMO. CAP is wonderful. Again, just my two cents.
I don't know where you are, but we saw the pediatric dermatologists at Hershey, PA-Dr. Zaenglein and Dr. Eid. They were very supportive and offered a lot of information. My son was diagnosed at about age 2 with AA, it started with large spots on the back of his head and progressed to about 2/3 of his head bald. We chose not to use any medication at this time since he's not bothered at all by his hair. However, about 4 months ago he started spontaneous regrowth and currently has only one small spot the size of a quarter. We had heard that using TreSemme shampoo helped with hair loss. It's a drugstore shampoo, and I used it on myself first to make sure it was gentle enough to use on a small child. There is no medical reason why it should help, and it's probably a coincidence, but in any case he has had regrowth since we started using it.
Your pediatrician should be able to refer you to a pediatric dermatologist. Good luck to you and your daughter!
Hi Lauren,
My son has had AA for 6 years. It started as one bald patch and progressed randomly around his head. Over the 6 years he has had a full head of regrowth, except for the one area where it first started. He has lost is again and grown some again and at the moment he has 70 percent of his head covered with white fuzz and a very small percentage of dark hair.
We have been told that any treatment you use, especially topical, will only work while you are using it. Once you stop the hair will more than likely fall out.
This has been explained to us that it is Unpredictable. It can progress to AU or AT or continue to regrow and lose hair for the rest of your life. No one knows for sure and they have no way of testing so as to tell you.
The doctor said also that some of the treatments weren't really suitable for children and would create more stress than the stress of the hairloss.
Hope this helps.
Susan
Hi there Lauren! You will notice at this website - there are parents who don't treat their kids' A.A., and there are parents who do treat their kids' A.A. I'm a parent whose kids choose to seek treatment. To treat or not, is just a personal decision for the kids & a personal decision for the parents whose kids are too young to decide. I'm not writing that either side is right or wrong. However, if you live within driving distance to a university, the best medical advice you could receive would be from a practicing Professor of Pediatric Dermatology. When my daughter got A.A. the first time around, she was under the treatment of Professor Alfred T. Lane of Stanford University. Professor Lane promissed her, that he would get her hair to grow back. He didn't know how long it would take, but he would do it. After following Professor Lane's advise and treating her with a steriod cream & 5% Minoxidil (each twice daily), her hair regrew within one year, and she was in remission for two years! Each person's experience with A.A. is different. You can find the best information at the website for the National Alopecia Areata Foundation Website. Good luck to you sweetie. I'm sorry to learn your daughter also has A.A. Write any time!
Could you please tell me what GI test specifically was done?
I am very curious to know.
hi, my daughter was just diagnosed last week with aa and she is also 2 years old. I've spent hours on this site over the last week. It has been very informative but also very very incouraging! I'm looking for answers, same as you so I'm no help but I wanted to say hello and I hope this site is as helpful to you as it has been to me!
Children's Alopecia Project has a ton of great information on their website and in their booklets.

www.childrensAlopeciaProject.org

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service