hi, my names tiaira im 16 and im a 10th grader in high school. i've recently found out that i have alopecia a few days ago and i don't even know where to go from here? everyone tells me it will be okay but i don't see it that way no one really understands? at school people look at me very different and treat me as if im dying or something, i've never had to face anything like this in my life. Any advice would be great!

Views: 4211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello honey My name is Shaynae Clark I am a student from Western Michigan Univeristy. I just started an organization dedicated to women or young ladies that experience Hair loss! It's a support group along with pampering services. It is designed to uplift spirits I hand make wigs myself and give them away! We also provide free cosmetic services manicures and pedicures at a private spa! I would love for you tO join us! You have always been beautiful and nothing will ever change that! Visit my page and my discussions to find out more about this organization! I really think you would like it! Contact me anytime! 7345028825

Hi, I am having difficulty getting to your page. Can you friend me so that I can find you? Thanks

HELLO DO NOT WORRY IS LIKELY YOU ARE ON TIME TO FIND A GOOD AND EFFECTIVE TREATMENT. IF YOU CAN HELP ME IN SOME ACCOUNT. GOOD LUCK!! SORRY MY ENGLISH I SPEAK SPANISH

Hi.. I am a fighter and fighting with this disease... now treatement for this prolem is nearby and even though in trial stage..
I am touch with few institutes.. but as i am in India..I am bit septical about the authenticity of the hospital/research institute before going for treatment

I have made one post and looking for reply from the americans,,
http://www.alopeciaworld.com/forum/topics/au-treatment-claimed-by-w...
lets see

Hello Tiaira,
My daughter will be 13 in May and has just found out that she has alopecia. We are all scared and don't know what to expect. To start with, she went to bed one night and woke up the next morning to no eyelashes! This was the start to our journey. The rumor at school already is that she has cancer. I too am looking for advice. Praying for you! Cindy

Read my reply below - it may help your daughter too - the example letters are on the aaaf site in the school pack - they are great x

Hi Tiara,
I just got diagnosed in December and by February all of my hair was gone. The worst part for me was when it just kept coming out in handfuls. I was dealing with my loss emotionally and I had to explain it to everyone. I bought a very expensive wig but felt like I was hiding so I don't wear it much at all. Once I decided to shave it all off, I felt much better because I only had strands left anyway. Now I wear head wraps and I am thinking about going to work bald. Oh, I teach at a high school so I had to tell all of my students. They have been great. I have tough times but I find it easier to be up front about it. It's better than hiding and hoping nobody will notice. That makes me feel vulnerable and I hate that. You have to choose how you will handle this. Being 16 is hard already, I have a 16 year old daughter. This makes it sooo much harder but you can do it. Your hair is not who you are.

Hi Tiaira,
You have found the best site ever! This place and these people kept me going when I first started losing my hair. The people at school just don't understand, so before you get angry, help them understand by being open and friendly about it. I would advise you to see a counselor (a real one, not just one from school)about this...it is okay for you to grieve the loss of your hair. I promise that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Remember, last year's Miss Deleware is bald and she made it to the top ten in Miss America!

Hi Tiaira, My name is Leigh Ann. I know exactly how you're feeling. I lost my hair when I was 15- right at the end of my 9th grade year. I dropped out of the last two weeks of that school year to finish my exams after everyone had let out for summer. I understand the looks and stares; People thought I had cancer. It was a very long hard journey through the rest of my school days. High school is a critical stage in life. But luckily, I was big into sports and there were many of my teammates that stood right beside me the whole way through. Do you have a group of friends like that? Are you wearing a wig or rocking a shine? I'm now 24 and just starting to embrace my baldness, realizing that it matches my personality better than any wig I can buy.
Losing my hair created bonds and relationships with people during those years that I wouldn't give up for the world. Still, today, I'm meeting and making new connections.
One day, you won't look at this as a burden or a flaw. You will look at this knowing that you are strong enough to handle it, as are the people surrounding you and impacting your life. I hope you will embrace this with all of your heart, accepting it as part of you for it can truly be a beautiful feature, both physically and in your personality, if you allow it. I hope that you begin to see alopecia as an honorable gift, a humbling experience, and an empowering journey; and know that you have a family here that will continue to give you words of encouragement and support.

Tiaira! I lost my hair at 15 and was in a similar situation as you.. First off, you will be ok! You will be great actually, just remember that through all of this.
Now, I know it is hard but try to look at the good stuff, and keep your good friends close, they will help you get through this. I suggest shaving your head when you feel ready if there is anything left, then look at some wigs, if you feel the need to I mean.
I know for me it helped, the wig did take some getting used to but after a bit it will just look like you, if you are losing your eyebrows get a pencil and start filling them in now, you will get used to drawing them on and get the shape right.
This is hard but you will be stronger because of it, and you will see that there is so much more to you than your hair. On the bright side you won`t have to shave your legs! And you will get to change your hair and color so easy, and it will always be done. if I can help at all please let me know. :)

Hi
I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you - I lost my hair when I was 12 and still to this day have nothing - my eyebrows are tattooed and I wear false eye lashes - my daughter who is 8 is going through the same now - at my school we did a assembly about my hair - and for my daughter I wrote letters to the parents and teachers and Brooke did class show and tell time about it - but believe me the understanding of others makes life easier - when they know the real medical condition you will find more acceptance - it's still an emotional roller coaster but your friends will stand by you - because remember we are unique and take it with pride - if you are out going try some du-rags there are some real cool ones out there - or some wigs - you can now have the style you have always wanted to try ( black red short trendy it's your choice)- be different and let it be known you are proud of it xxx

Hey,
I thought it is not genetic its so interesting that you daughter has it also.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service