Hi Everyone.
Has anyone tried Methotrexate for AU? I have been on DPCP for almost a year and had no real success. This is something new with an apparent 50-50 chance for AU.

Views: 8764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Everyone!
I take 8 pills (2.5mg each = 20 total) every Wed morning then Thursday morning I take my folate. I feel very tired mid Wed and Thursday I am a walking zombie/ feel slightly nausea.

I did go away to Mexico and even with 50 SPF ALL THE TIME, I still managed to burn/ tan/ peel, so be careful in the sun. It is true, it does make you very sensitive. I wore a bandanna all the time, so you can guess my tan mark on my face :( lol

I started this medication Feb and today I have fuzz all on my head/ longer random strands of hair. I also have 5 mini eyelashes too... so the results are pretty fast... but yet so slowwwwwww

how come I my doc has me take folic acid everyday if you only take it once a week? Does taking it everyday reduce hair growth ? Mine is for GI issues but thought it would help AU too.

@kim...I think it was the 4th week although I have noticed the peach fuzz and growth hairs on my head have sorta slowed down but the eyelashes are still coming in very quickly...eyebrows not so much but have maintained no more shedding

How is everyone doing? I did my bloods and no news is good news from my physician. Still on the 20 mg 1x/wk and the tiredness is still there but not as pronounced as before. Still have major WHITE mini's all over, but no color. Also have longer strands of white hair now too. No shedding... but slow and steady...

Thanks for the post, I am excited about your progress. What week is this on the medication?

I am on week 5 and 6 pills still, bloodwork fine but no hair yet =( maybe mine is only going to treat the other autoimmune disease, I was hoping for some hair or at least lashes

just wondering how everyone is getting along? :) are people supplementing folic acid? my derm has put me on a weekly dose of 15mg of MTX and also wants me to supplement 5mg of folic acid a day (apart from the day i take MTX)!! it seems like overkill to me and i've been reading differing studies as to whether it interferes with the efficacy of MTX....

I have been on sulphasalazine for a year now with slow steady results...cortisone shots seem to enhance the effect. I got my eyebrows back with cortisone shots and the sulphasalazine has maintained them. My eyelashes are slowly coming back as well as leg and arm hair. My dermatologist is playing around with the idea of methotrexate to boost the hair growth on my head...hmmmm have an appointment April 24 so am following this link closely.

Hi Nick,
I've been on methotrexate since May 2011. My dosage was increased to 20mg in July 2011 from 15mg. I am also on 5mg folic acid everyday. At the start of the treatment, I saw a lot of white hairs coming in so I got really excited that it was working so quickly. But after a month or so, it slowed down. But, it kicked back in about two months ago and I am just starting to see some good results now. The hair growth on my scalp is about 85% now. My dermatologist has also started kenalog injections in my eyebrows and the small patches on my scalp. I am seeing my brows and lashes just starting to come back. I see my dermatologist every 6 weeks and have blood work once a month to ensure the methotrexate isn't increasing liver enzymes; everything has been fine so far. I have learned to be very patient with this treatment. Good luck! Let me know how your treatment is coming along.

Hi Methotrexate Team!
I am still on 20 mg but April 3 I have my first Derma follow-up! I have never been so excited to see a physician before. I too like Derek am on 20 mg with only one folic acid pill the day after... I will ask about that actually as I fear perhaps I may be too low? Either way, I started in Feb 2012 and now 2-month later have full peach-fuzz head of while and a few random long hairs. I developed AU in Feb 2011.

I also have a small patch of black fuzz and random black hairs too. I also have mini eyelashes too. Still no brows, but I will inquire about Derek's injections on Tuesday. I still feel crappy on the meds but have already learned to handle them. Side effects for me are 48-h of either dry mouth, mild-nausea, headaches and fatigue. I will report back on Tuesday!

Thanks everyone for posting results and protocol their drs. are using. Please keep it up. I may want to try this for my daughter at some point. What are they telling you about drinking? Is it totally not allowed? It is difficult to dictate this to a college student about to turn 21.

Hello Methotrexate Peeps

So I have been on metho/predno combo for 2 months and one week. I am finished the predno it was only for the first six weeks (it was a tough drug to be on mood swings,weight gain,acne and a lot more!!) Now I'm down to just 20 mg of the methotrexate per week and 5 mg of folic (daily)the folic was increased to 5 mg to help reduce the side effects from methotrexate that I have been having like Tam headaches fluish feeling and major fatigue the following day sometimes two after. I am also having eyebrow injections. I have white fuzz on my hair as well as longer white real hairs however, lately in the last two weeks this has slowed down nothing new. I have nice lush eyelashes on one eye and only two on the other eye. One eyebrow has stopped falling out but has no new hairs the other eyebrow continues to loose hairs it's almost all gone. The shots dont appear to be working also getting funny indents along my eyebrow any one else getting that? I'm concerned enough to stop that treatment. 2nd blood test fine. I agree with Derek going to have to be very patient with this treatment.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service